Cheat Sheet 29, FBI Files: Sen Pastore Bribed, Ed Brooke Investigation, Fogarty Party
Monday, February 22, 2016
Make no mistake about it, the files are layered with information about a time where the scope and reach of the Patriarca crime family permeated nearly every aspect of life in New England.
Page 1 FBI Wants to Bug Patriarca’s Lawyers Office
The FBI wants to “MISUR survey” (Microphone SURveillance) the offices of Charles Curran and Saul Friedman.
“From information developed through BS 837-C* it appears that there is not only an attorney-client relationship between Friedman and Patriarca but also it appears that Friedman is the person who handles all of PATRIARCA’s investments which are numerous.”
Curran and Friedman’s law offices were located in Room 709 of the Industrial Bank Building in Providence — aka the Superman Building.
PAGE 3 - FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover’s Office rejects the request for the MISUR of Friedman’s office.
PAGE 5 Jingle Business and the “Jew”
“(Gerry) ANGIULO then discussed the TV commercial “jingle” business with PATRIARCA and explained the salesmen when they sell a contract for $400, obtain $200 down payment and $200 when the jingle is finished. For this they receive $100.”
“ANGIULO then told PATRIARCA that he told “the Jew”, identity not further known, to sell Indian Meadow Country Club for $600,000.”
PAGE 11 Bookie Murdered by NY Guys?
“JERRY said that the kid REDACTED said that REDACTED, former Charlestown, Mass bookmaker, was in an argument in Pilseners Cafe with two guys from New York. During the argument one of them said to REDACTED: “If you don’t give us all the money we’ll blow your brains out.” Since then REDACTED has not been seen around Charlestown.”
PAGE 13 Judge to be the front man on the purchase of the Golf Course near Worcester
PAGE 17 Indian Meadows Golf Course - False Documents Submitted to Mechanics National Bank
U.S. Attorney W. Arthur Garrity of Boston wants to prosecute Jerry Anguilo for filing false documents on the (Indian Meadow Country Club) golf course to the SBA.
Note: Garrity was the Federal judge who ordered the desegregation of Boston public schools in the early 1970s.
Ed Brooke who would go on to to be the first black United States Senator as then AG in 1963 started an “inquiry into additional racing dates by ‘phantom’ fairs, in particular, the 12 racing days awarded in the fashion to the Hancock Raceway.”
Patriarca had significant financial interest in the track at the time.
PAGE 22 “It would appear that Patriarca and his associates have a concealed interest in the Dunes Hotel at Las Vegas.”
PAGE 32 Patriarca Likes Gallogly for Governor and DiLuglio for Lt. Governor
In a memo from the FBI Director’s office to the Miami and Boston offices of the FBI, “…advised that Patriarca in discussing politics and future candidates for office in Rhode Island indicated that one Gallogly would be the best candidate for Governor and that tommy would be a good Lt. Governor. Gallogly was subsequently identified as Edward P. Gallogly currently Lt. Governor for the State of Rhode Island.”
“It was noted in this conversation concerning future candidates Patriarca indicated that Tommy has been wined and dined by Pasquale Erra, Miami Top hoodlum, on behalf of Patriarca when Tommy visited Florida. Boston has indicated that the Tommy could possibly be D. Thomas Testa, former Chairman of the Commission on Horse Racing and Athletics for the State of Rhode Island or Thomas R. Di Luglio, a State Senator in Rhode Island.”
In 1964, Gallogly was defeated by John Chafee for the Governorship.
Pages 32 to 34 are about Gallogly.
PAGE 40 Top Patriarca Associate Taglianetti Wants to Hire Former Governor Del Sesto
PAGE 49 First Reference to La Cosa Nostra is spelled in the FBI file “La Causa Nostra”
PAGE 61 Miami Gambler Hershie Laff Kidnapped and Held for $170,000 Ransom
PAGE 79 Colombo Crime Family
“RAYMOND PATRIARCA spoke highly of (Tommy) EBOLI and agreed that any trouble among the families should be ironed out among themselves. RAYMOND PATRIARCA said that “SALLY THE SHEIK” was the instigator of all the trouble and should have been killed.”
Salvatore "Sally the Sheik" Musacchio is the brother-in-law to Joseph Magliocco — head of the Colombo crime family of New York.
In one of the biggest blockbusters of the FBI Files, an April of 1963 FBI Memo from the Boston Office of the FBI to the FBI Headquarters, Director J. Edgar Hoover in the document states:
“PATRIARCA stated that many years ago when the now U.S. Senator JOHN PASTORE was Assistant District Attorney in Rhode Island, he got plenty of money from PATRIARCA and his associates and particularly when he, PATRIARCA was concerned with a jail break which resulted in a murder charge. PATRIARCA said that after that they helped PASTORE become Governor for the State of Rhode Island.”
The Memo went on to state:
When PATRIARCA and his attorneys were in Washington, D.C., apparently referring to the time he testified before the McClellan Committee, they attempted to see PASTORE in the U.S. Senate Chambers. PASTORE apparently found out they intended to visit him and took a plane to New York before they arrived. PATRIARCA was very critical of PASTORE because of this.
At the same time, they happened to meet U.S. Congressman John Fogarty, and this time invited PATRIARCA and his attorneys to a party. PATRIARCA declined the invitation because of the possible bad publicity. However, his attorney CURRAN and CURRAN’s associate did attend the party.
They then continued to discuss Rhode Island politics and RAYMOND stated it would be a long time before an Italian is again elected to the Governorship of Rhode Island.
Pastore served two terms in the Rhode Island General Assembly - elected in 1934 and 1936. “Mr. Pastore then gained an appointment as an assistant state attorney general, and by the early 1940's his oratorical skill was winning over juries in criminal cases,” wrote the New York Times at the time of Pastore’s death in 2000.
Related Slideshow: FBI Files - The Patriarca Papers - Entry 29
- Cheat Sheet 29, FBI Files: Sen Pastore Bribed, Ed Brooke Investigation, Fogarty Party
- Cheat Sheet 28, FBI Files: Bobby Kennedy, Money and Women to Notte, and Bombing
- Cheat Sheet 27, FBI Files: FBI Tips League About Patriots’ Betting, Chafee’s Impact on Patriarca
- Cheat Sheet 26, FBI Files: Patriot Players Betting on Games, F. Lee Bailey, Dean Martin and Sinatra
- Cheat Sheet 25, FBI Files: DiMaggio and Sinatra on Patriarca’s Race Track Board
- Cheat Sheet 24, FBI Files: State Troopers on the Payroll, Ted Kennedy, Dynamite, Wiretaps
- Cheat Sheet 23, FBI Files: Patriarca and “Bury Him,” Rembrandt and Union Control
- Cheat Sheet 22, FBI Files: Murder Indictment, cost of Bugging, Kennedy Fundraiser, the “Commission”
- Cheat Sheet 21 The Patriarca Papers – Patriarca and Sinatra Business Partners
- Cheat Sheet 20 The Patriarca Papers – Narcotics, Murder of Costello, Getting a Friend’s Son Into BC
- Cheat Sheet 19, FBI Files: FBI Worried Patriarca is Going to Kill IRS Agent
- Cheat Sheet 18, FBI Files: Big Mob Hit, Projo Asks RFK for FBI’s Files, Trouble from “Irishman”
- Cheat Sheet 17, FBI Files: Patriarca Ties to Brink’s Robbery and Jack Witschi’s Sports Arena
- Cheat Sheet 16, FBI Files: Did Patriarca Have Anything to do with Bugsy Siegel’s Murder?
- Cheat Sheet 15, FBI Files: Frank Costello, Auction of White City, and Miami Club
- Cheat Sheet 14, FBI Files: IQ of 80, Dunes Hotel in Vegas and Howard Johnsons
- Cheat Sheet 13: Patriarca’s Home’s Property Tax is $421 and Bugging the Coin-O-Matic
- Cheat Sheet 12, FBI Files: Patriarca and Robert Kennedy, $1M Suit Against Projo
- Cheat Sheet 11, The Patriarca Papers Unveil Sam Giancana, Meyer Lansky and Jerry Angiulo
- Cheat Sheet 10, FBI Files Unveils the Big Wedding, Patriarca’s Girl and Senate Testimony
- Cheat Sheet 9, FBI Files: Patriarca, Gov. Notte, Mayor Curley and So Much More
- Cheat Sheet 6, FBI Files Unveils Patriarca’s Ties to Port and Alleged Connection to Drugs
- Cheat Sheet 5, FBI Files Unveils His Girl Friend, the Media is to Blame and JP Morgan
- Cheat Sheet 4, FBI Files Unveils the Business Ties of Patriarca’s Lawyers
- Cheat Sheet 3, Part 2 The Patriarca Papers – Supreme Court Justice, Miami Trip, & Col. Stone