slides: The Scoop: Fung Blasts Raimondo on RI Housing, Taylor Calls McKee on Flip-Flop, and More
Thursday, October 23, 2014
With the General Election now 13 days away, GoLocal is bringing you the daily campaign updates of note -- who's getting new endorsements, bringing in money, or making big, bold announcements, with all eyes on November 4.
In today's Scoop, Republican candidate for Governor Allan Fung calls out opponent Gina Raimondo on her lack of leadership skills on RI housing, Republican candidate for Lieutenant Governor Catherine Taylor calls out Dan McKee on flip-flopping his position on Health Source RI, and more.
Related Slideshow: The Scoop-October 22, 2014
Fung Blasts Raimondo on RI Housing
Republican candidate for Governor Allan Fung has called out his opponent Gina Raimondo on her leadership on RI Housing.
“It is my understanding that Treasurer Raimondo has failed to attend a single meeting of the RI Housing Board of Directors in over one year, instead sending a “designee” in her place. Given the troubled history of this agency, it was crucial for Treasurer Raimondo to fulfill her fiduciary role and attend meetings personally to exercise oversight. I am also calling on Treasurer Gina Raimondo to come forward and explain her personal failure to exercise leadership or sound judgment in this matter. The lack of judgment, communication, and basic accounting has cast a shadow over this agency. We need to become more efficient and accountable for all of our dollars for the taxpayers of Rhode Island. Rest assured, as Governor, I will hold all employees accountable and find ways to make our government more efficient,” stated Mayor Fung.
Taylor Calls out McKee on Flip-Flop on HealthSource RI
Democratic candidate for Lieutenant Governor Dan McKee has flip-flopped on his original position of HealthSource RI.
Zach Sherman, Catherine Taylor’s campaign manager, said, “Mayor McKee clearly regrets his originally stated position on this issue. He is now walking back statements that he has made not once, but twice on RINPR and is facing the backlash of members of his own party as well as supporters of the current lieutenant governor who has largely been credited with the success of HSRI. While we don’t applaud his willingness to change positions, we do appreciate Mayor McKee’s admission that Rhode Islanders prefer Catherine’s to his own.”
Grow Smart RI to Announce Support for Yes on 7
Grow Smart RI and several community partners will announce their support for passage of Question 7, the $53 million “Clean Water, Open Space and Healthy Communities Bond,” on October 23, 9:30 a.m. at the Bristol Industrial Park, 500 Wood Street, Bristol, RI.
· Scott Wolf, Executive Director of Grow Smart RI
· Janet Coit, Director, Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management
· Antonio “Tony” Teixeira, Town Administrator, Town of Bristol
· Diana Campbell, Executive Director, Mosaico Business & Community Development Corporation
· Rep. Raymond Gallison – District 69 (Chairman House Finance Committee)
· John Chambers, Senior Vice President, Fuss & O’Neill
Low Anthem To Play at Elorza for Mayor Benefit Concert
The Columbus Theatre will present the “One Providence Experience” on October 23.
This concert will include music, art, food, and politics, featuring several of Providence’s favorite bands and Democratic candidate for Mayor Jorge Elorza.
Performing musicians will include The Low Anthem, Medusah Black, Roz Raskin, Death Vessel, and Black Pus, the solo project of Brian Chippendale of Lightning Bolt.
“We all live in Providence and have seen how city leadership in the past has failed us, and at times has actively worked against us,” said Tom Weyman, member of the Columbus Cooperative. “The organizers of this event have taken the time to get to know Jorge Elorza, and have come to the conclusion that he is the right candidate for a bright, progressive Providence future.”
Glantz added, "The musicians and artists participating in this event represent Providence on a national and international level, touring and exhibiting all over the world. Personally, I just want a mayor who leaves the showmanship to us and focuses their time on keeping the city's books clean."
- The Scoop: Kilmartin Hits Back at Hodgson, Harrop Urges Right-To-Work Municipal Ordinance, and More
- The Scoop: Taylor Announces New Team Members, New Lending Rules Applauded, and More
- The Scoop: Fung’s Plan to Reform Taxes, Gorbea Adds to Campaign Team, and More
- The Scoop: RI GOP Blasts Raimondo/Reed Commercial, Lynch Called for Pierson Resignation, and More
- The Scoop: RenewRI Critical of GA’s Handling of ConCon, Fung’s Latest Endorsement, and More
- The Scoop: Cianci, Elorza Endorsement Duel, URI Engineering Bond Kick Off, and More
- The Scoop: Zurier Challenges Caucus, Harrop’s Response to Poll, and More
- The Scoop: Cianci’s New Plan, Fung Got New TV and More
- The Scoop: Chamber Makes Bond Endorsements, Yes on 7 Campaign Launch, and More
- The Scoop: Block Endorses Fung; Elorza, Almonte, Magaziner Pick up Endorsements, and More
- The Scoop: GOP Candidate Calls for Independent Pollster and More
- The Scoop: Cianci, Elorza Spar Over Public Safety, GOP Ups the Heat on Raimondo/Reed Ad, and More
- The Scoop: McKee Unveils Business Initiatives, Cianci to Announce Waterfront Plan, and More
- The Scoop: Legislative Scorecard Released, Darrell West on Hardball, and More
- The Scoop: Brown’s Quinn to Head Watson Institute Communications, Fung on Sales Tax, and More
- The Scoop: RI Dems Blasts Fung on Flip-Flop, New Magaziner Ad, and More
- The Scoop: Magaziner Calls Almonte a Liar, Cianci Blasts Harrop’s Elorza Donation, and More
- The Scoop: Michelle Obama’s Raimondo Video Message, Gorbea’s New Ad, and More
- The Scoop: Magaziner and Almonte Endorsement Duel, Uber Offering Election Day Rides, and More
- The Scoop: RIC to Host Politics and Social Media Panel, Harrop Questions Cianci’s Health, and More
- The Scoop: Fung Confirms Christie RI Visit, Almonte Blasts Magaziner on Disclosure, and More
- The Scoop: Fung Hits Back at Negative Ad, Dems Blast Fung-Christie Connections, and More
- The Scoop: Elorza Unveils Ethics Agenda, Latest Endorsements Announced, and More
- The Scoop: RI Democratic Governors Association Blasts Fung, Christie, and More