slides: The Scoop: Cianci’s New Plan, Fung Got New TV and More
Thursday, September 18, 2014
With the General Election now 47 days away, GoLocal is bringing you the daily campaign updates of notes -- who's getting new endorsements, bringing in money, or making big, bold announcements, with all eyes on November 4.
In today's Scoop, Buddy Cianci reveals he's set to unveil his neighborhood revitalization plan for Providence, the RI GOP touts Fung and Avedisian for leading 2 of "America's 50 Best Cities to Live", Raimondo receives her 14th labor organization endorsement -- and Fung and Raimondo duck a Newport debate.
Related Slideshow: The Scoop: Cianci to Unveil Neighborhood Revitalization Plan and More
Cianci to Talk Neighborhoods
Buddy Cianci is slated to unveil his neighborhood revitalization plan for the City of Providence next Tuesday -- as well as a preview of proposed improvements to Broad Street in particular.
"We will be unveiling the neighborhood plan on Tuesday," confirmed Cianci campaign manager Cyd McKenna. "We'll have both the overarching neighborhood plans, as well as specific proposals for Broad Street."
More details to come as to time and place of the announcement -- Cianci is expected to releasing his policy plans for the Port of Providence, as well as public safety, in the near future as well.
Taylor Touts Rhode Island’s #1 Ranking in Nursing Home Quality
Republican candidate for lieutenant governor Catherine Taylor applauded Rhode Island’s #1 national ranking in the nursing home report card issued by Families for Better Care.
“I am so proud of our accomplishments in this sphere,” said Taylor, who stepped down as director of the Division of Elderly Affairs to run for office. “Everyone involved with nursing home care, from my former staff and colleagues at DEA to the nursing home administrators and staff on the front lines, works so hard to provide the highest quality care we possibly can for our elders. I very much look forward to supporting our nursing centers in maintaining this rare #1 ranking for Rhode Island as lieutenant governor and chairwoman of the Long Term Care Coordinating Council, and building on it as we turn our economy around.”
IUPAT District Council 11 Endorses Gina Raimondo For Governor
The International Painters and Allied Trades District Council 11 have voted to endorse Gina for governor. They are the 14th labor organization to back her campaign.
“Gina understands how important a good job is for Rhode Island families and she will be a governor who gets people back to work,” said Business Representative Scott Duhamel. “We are supporting Gina as a leader who will stand up for the middle class and grow our economy in a way that benefits everyone. We look forward to helping her win this November.”
GOP Mayors in RI at the Helm Among America's 50 Best Cities to Live
The RIGOP touted Republican Mayors -- including Cranston's Allan Fung and Warwick's Scott Avedisian - for leading the country in best cities with their nods in Warwick and Cranston.
In a press release, Mark Smiley, Chairman of the Rhode Island Republican Party, stated, "After over 75 years of one party (Democrat) rule, our state is in pretty rough shape. We have been championing the fiscal policies of Republican candidates as the solution to our state's woes - but the proof is in the proverbial pudding."
Fung Releases First General Election Campaign Video
The Fung for Governor Campaign has released the first television advertisement of the General Election campaign. The ad, which is entitled “American Dream” highlights Mayor Allan Fung’s working class background and recalls his parents’ decision to leave their homes in search of the American dream.
“I am using this advertisement to remind voters that I share the background of many of our hard-working residents and that I am committed to restoring our economy and creating real job opportunities that will make the American dream available for the next generation, just as it was available when my parents came to Rhode Island almost fifty years ago,” concluded Fung.
Fung, Raimondo Skip Newport
According to the Newport Daily News, gubernatorial candidates Gina Raimondo and Allan Fung declined a debate next week in Newport sponsored by some pretty heavy hitters -- see below.
From the Newport Daily News
"A public forum with candidates for statewide office scheduled for next Tuesday has been canceled; not enough candidates confirmed, including gubernatorial candidates Gina Raimondo and Allan Fung, who said they only are doing TV debates. We thank the candidates who did want to participate, and Newport County Chamber of Commerce andPell Center at Salve Regina University, co-sponsors of the event. We now are focused on organizing meetings with local candidate for office."
Hodsgon Blasts Kilmartin on Open Records
A report critical of state government’s compliance with a new open records law found that two years after the Access to Public Records Act became law, many state and municipal organizations fail to comply with the measure.
The report calls into question the “…effectiveness of Rhode Island’s current enforcement regime, which relies on the Office of the Attorney General to enforce the ARPA.”
“It confirms the frustrating experience of many Rhode Island citizens trying to access public information,” Hodgson said.
- The Scoop - Daily Insights Into RI News and Politics at 4 pm
- INTRODUCING: The Scoop - Daily Insights Into Everything News and Politics at 4 pm
- The Scoop - Chafee Drops Out - RI News and Politics at 4 pm
- The Scoop - Daily Insights Into RI News and Politics at 4 pm
- The Scoop - EngageRI Folds - RI News and Politics at 4 pm
- The Scoop on RI Politics: 2010 a Missed Opportunity
- The Scoop on RI Politics: The Biggest Lesson of the Election
- The Scoop on RI Politics: What Will Sway Voters at This Point?
- The Scoop on RI Politics: Rowley Says Voters Will Reject Democrats
- The Scoop on RI Politics: Unions Have a ‘Stranglehold’ on General Assembly
- The Scoop on RI Politics: Avedisian - Chafee Won’t Lose His Lead
- The Scoop - Winning the Latino Vote - RI News and Politics at 4 pm
- The Scoop - Fung Exploring Gov Run - RI News and Politics at 4 pm
- The Scoop - Rep. Shekarchi Not Ruling Out Run for Lt. Governor
- The Scoop - Fmr. State Rep is Representing Cheaters Strip Club
- The Scoop - Sionni to Protest Taveras’ Fundraiser
- The Scoop - 8 Ways the Gov’t Shutdown Will Impact Rhode Island
- The Scoop - Does RI GOP Want Ken Block Or Not?
- The Scoop - Fung: Here’s How to Make RI More Competitive
- The Scoop - RI Will No Longer Do Business with Iran
- The Scoop - Reed Talks Syria - RI News and Politics at 4 pm
- The Scoop - Whitehouse Talks State and Federal Marijuana Laws
- The Scoop - No More Sales Tax? - RI News and Politics at 4 pm
- The Scoop - Ken Block Offers Alternatives to Sales Tax Elimination
- The Scoop - Napolitano: RIGOP Should Have Raffled A Different Gun