Block Blasts Fung Over Lying About Deepwater Wind Contributions
Tuesday, July 01, 2014
Dan Yorke Show on WPRO about not receiving contributions from individuals associated with the Deepwater Wind deal.
On Yorke's show, Fung denied having received donations from people involved in the Deepwater Wind deal, saying, “I’ve met with the people not on Deepwater, but on the Deepwater opposition. I’ve actually tried to get in touch with them, like Jeff Grybowski [CEO of Deepwater Wind], but I never heard from him.”
Block's camp, however, said that campaign finance reports show that Fung received $7,325 from individuals associated with Deepwater Wind, including $1,350 from Grybowski between 2007 and 2012.
"This is exactly what is wrong with politics in Rhode Island," said Block. "If you can't answer a questions truthfully, you shouldn't be in public office."
“There is an ongoing pattern of Mayor Fung distorting the facts,” Block continued. “Rhode Island Republican primary voters want honesty. They want to see a race focused on the issues. Insider politicians think that the truth does not matter, but voters in this state are sick and tired of being lied to.”
Fung Camp Responds
"Desperate times call for desperate measures. The Block campaign is obviously lashing out because we just received the party endorsement and Republicans are not buying what Mr. Block is selling," said Patrick Sweeney, Campaign Manager for Fung.
"Mayor Fung only received contributions from one employee of Deepwater, which is completely irrelevant because he never supported Deepwater Wind, unlike his opponent, Ken Block. Yet again, Mr. Block has flip-flopped on another issue and is trying to pander to Republicans. Since he switched parties because of the results of a poll, he’s flip-flopped on ObamaCare, Deepwater and Guns. Obviously Rhode Island Republicans can’t trust Ken Block," Sweeney continued.
Block campaign spokesperson Jeff Britt said that he believed the situation "was bigger than Deepwater, or anything else." Britt noted that the balance of the campaign contributions came from employees at Hinckley, Allen, Snyder, the law firm for Deepwater.
"When the Mayor was asked specifically by Buddy Cianci, "Do you have recent polling?" and he said "No" twice, and then his campaign manager said that they did, and they retracked, that's a small issue," said Britt. "Then the Mayor brought up Deepwater Wind with Dan Yorke, who asks him if he had been given donations by anyone backing Deepwater Wind, and he says, "No," when he did -- we find this to be a problem."
"At what point do we as voters say "I'd vote for a politician who's lying" and expecting change?" said Britt. "People might say they're little questions, OK, but what does that say about you if you can lie about those? As far as I'm concerned, Mayor Fung has lost his ability to run for office."
Related Slideshow: PAC Spending in the 2014 Rhode Island Governor’s Race
With Election Day now just months away, GoLocal took a look at PAC spending in the Rhode Island gubernatorial campaigns.
Who is giving to who -- and how much? And what's worth more, the money or the grassroots support?
Below is look at recorded PAC giving by the candidates in their campaign finance reports for the 2013 calendar year, by quarter. Candidate Todd Giroux has an affadavit for an annual filing exemption.
Gina Raimondo - Q1 2013
PAC money received: $7,000
Gina Raimondo - Q2 2013
PAC money received: $4,400
Gina Raimondo - Q3 2013
PAC money received $1,750
Gina Raimondo - Q4 2013
PAC money received: $6,950
Angel Taveras - Q1 2013
PAC money received: $3,600
Angel Taveras - Q2 2013
PAC money received: $6,550
Angel Taveras - Q3 2013
PAC money received: $1,300
Cash balance as of September 30, 2013: $759,150.22
Angel Taveras - Q4 2013
PAC money received: $6,100
Allan Fung -- Q1 2013
PAC money received: $1,550*
Allan Fung - Q2 2013
PAC money received: $1,600
Allan Fung -- Q3 2013
PAC money received: $1,100
Allan Fung -- Q4 2013
PAC money received: $3,800
- NEW: Would Taveras Support Fung Over Democratic Opponents?
- Riley: Cranston and Mayor Fung Play the Hand that was Dealt
- State Report: Fung’s Education Reform Plan + Big Grants for RI
- NEW: Fung, Pell Report Q1 Fundraising Totals
- Mayor Allan Fung Challenges Governor Chafee on 38 Studios
- Russell Moore: Fung’s Folly
- NEW: Block: Fung Flip-Flops on Corporate Tax Cut
- Block Poll Shows 9 Point Lead Over Fung in RI GOP Primary
- Don Roach: Fung Team Must Recognize Block Campaign Growing Stronger
- Arthur Schaper: I Would Vote For Fung
- Block Blasts Fung Over Lying About Deepwater Wind Contributions
- NEW: Cranston Police Union Attorney Blasts Fung Proposal
- NEW: Fung Campaign Calls on Ken Block to Release Tax Returns
- Fung Endorsed by Mumford and Frias in RI Governor’s Race
- LISTEN: Block Poll Shows 9 Point Lead Over Fung in RI GOP Primary
- Listen: Fung Opposed Flood Notification Bill as Insurance Lobbyist
- Russell Moore: Block and Fung Have GOP Problems
- NEW: Block Calls for Halt on 38 Studios Bond Payments
- NEW: Ken Block Receives Endorsement From RI Taxpayers
- NEW: Former Radio Host Helen Glover Endorses Block for Governor
- NEW: Fung + Block to Compete in Straw Poll at North Kingstown GOP
- NEW: Block Calls Out Raimondo, Taveras, Fung for Ties to Fox
- Should Gov Candidate Ken Block Release His Tax Returns?
- NEW: Block Calls Superman Deal “Kryptonite” for RI
- NEW: Block Urges Voters to Watch How Legislators Vote on 38 Studios
- Fung Opposed Flood Notification Bill as Insurance Lobbyist
- New: Fung Blasts General Assembly for Late Night Rush
- NEW: Fung Proposes Legislation to Prevent Lobbyists’ Loans to Lawmakers
- Fung and Block Need to Know the Importance of Reagan’s 11th Commandment
- NEW: Fung Demands Full Investigation of 38 Studios
- Block Blasts Fung, Taveras, Raimondo for Support of Fox