Rhode Islander on Trump’s Short List for Vice President
Wednesday, May 25, 2016
The Post wrote:
"A surprise name on the list is retired Lt. Gen. Michael Flynn, a national security adviser to Trump who has emerged as one of the most buzzed-about veep contenders, sources familiar with the deliberations said.
Flynn retired in 2014 after a 33-year career in military intelligence that included hunting down terrorists as director of the Defense Intelligence Agency.
Flynn would be an outside-the-box choice because Trump has strongly suggested he would likely select someone connected to Congress or with elective experience to be his veep."
Others on the list: Sen. Bob Corker (R-TN), Jeff Sessions (who is heading the search) (R-AL), Gov. Jan Brewer (R-AZ) Newt Gingrich, and Gov. Mary Fallin (R-OK).
In 2011, GoLocal wrote a feature about General Michael Flynn and his brother General Charlie Flynn - both URI grads.
Michael Flynn served in Grenada, Haiti, and extensively in Afghanistan.
According to his bio, Flynn served as the director of intelligence, Joint Staff from July, 2008 to June, 2009, then the director of intelligence, International Security Assistance Force in Afghanistan from June 2009 to October 2010. He also served as the director of intelligence, United States Central Command from June 2007 to July 2008, and the director of intelligence for Joint Special Operations Command from July 2004 to June 2007, with service in Afghanistan (Operation Enduring Freedom) and Iraq (Operation Iraqi Freedom).
Related Slideshow: Trump Rally in Warwick Rhode Island, April, 2016
Photography by Richard McCaffrey
- Two RI Brothers: Two USA Generals
- BREAKING: Trump Coming to Rhode Island Monday
- Trump and Clinton Leading in Brown Poll
- WATCH: Trump Rally in RI Live
- Donald Trump Says “Leave Tom Brady Alone”
- Trump Rally in Warwick Rhode Island, See the Experience
- RI Trump Supporter Claims Cyberbullying by Cruz Backer
- Donald Trump Wins New York Primary
- New Republican MacBeth Won’t Commit to Supporting Trump
- Guest MINDSETTERS™ Craffey, Halloran, Hennessy: Millennial’s & Donald Trump
- What’s the Trump Factor in Rhode Island?
- Hillary Clinton, Donald Trump Hold Big Leads in New York Before Primary
- Trump Looks to Line Up Crucial Delegates Following RI Campaign Stop
- Trump Sweeps Primaries While Clinton Extends Delegate Lead
- Polls Find Sanders, Not Clinton, Has Better Chance Against Trump
- Trump Targets Amazon CEO & Wash Post Owner Jeff Bezos Over Antitrust Claims
- Could Trump Win in Rhode Island?
- Horowitz: Key Republicans Refuse to Board the Trump Bus
- Finneran: Donald Trump, Fair And Square
- Trump Wins Rhode Island GOP Primary
- Rhode Islanders’ Rage Fuels Trump and Sanders Victories
- Donald Trump Wins Indiana Primary
- Jencunas: Comparing & Contrasting Donald Trump to Ronald Reagan