100 Hole Golf Marathon to Benefit Burke Fund Set for Tuesday
Tuesday, October 04, 2016
Burke Fund 100 Hole Golf Marathon will be held today at the Pawtucket Country Club. Tee off is set for 8 a.m. and players will play until about 5:30 p.m.
This year's marathon features 30 golfers, including local golf pros such as Nick Maresca of Kirkbrae, Brian Schaffer from Alpine and Mike Gelinas of Pawtucket, as well as some of the top amateurs in Rhode Island and across New England.
In order to get 100 holes in, each player will have their own cart and will be able to hit multiple balls on Par 3's and short par 4's. Hitting and completing a hole with multiple balls counts as multiple holes played.
The event has raised over $100,000 annually for the scholarships.
The Burke Fund
The John P. Burke Memorial Fund was created in 1946 to help caddies pay for a college education. The Burke Fund is one of the oldest scholarship programs in the country for students who work in the game of golf.
In its history, the Burke Fund has awarded more than 1,500 scholarships and contributed over $2.8 million.
For more information on The Burke Fund, click here.
Related Slideshow: 10 Great Public Courses to Play Golf
Here are ten great courses to play golf.
Melody Hill golf course opened in 1967 and is an 18 hole course that stretches 6,185 yards, adding up to a par 71.
Melody Hill is located on 55 Melody Hill Lane in Harmony, Rhode Island.
18 holes with a cart will cost you $43 on weekdays while it will cost you $47 on weekends.
Photo courtesy of melodyhillcc.com
Stone-E-Lea golf club is an 18 hole course that stretches over 6,042 yards adding up to a par 70. Stone-E-Lea opened in 1958.
Stone-E-Lea is located just over the border on 1411 County St. in Attleboro, Ma.
During the week, 18 holes with a cart will cost you $37 while on the weekends, 18 holes with a card will cost you $45.
Photo courtesy of selgc.com
Chemawa is an 18 hole course that opened in 1956 and stretches to 5,367 yards from the back tees, adding up to a par 68.
Chemawa Golf Club is located on 350 Cushman Rd, just over the border in North Attleboro, Massachusetts.
During the week, a round of golf with a cart will cost you $48 while on the weekend a round of golf with a cart will cost you $54.
Photo courtesy of chemawagolfclub.com
Midville Country Club is a nine hole course that spreads over 2,935 yards, adding up to a par 70, for 18 holes (play the nine holes twice from different tees.)
18 holes with a car at Midville during the week will cost you $59 while walking will cost you #39. .
On the weekend, 18 holes with a cart will cost you $63, while you can walk for $43.
Midville Country Club is located on 100 Lombardi Lane in West Warwick, Rhode Island.
Photo courtesy of midvillegolfclub.com
Cranston Country Club opened in 1974 and is an 18 hole course that stretches over 6,636 yards from the back tees, adding up to a par 71. Cranston CC located on 69 Burlingame Rd in Cranston, Rhode Island.
18 Holes with a cart will cost you $59 or you can walk for $41 from Monday to Thursday.
Prices go up slightly on the weekend as 18 holes with a cart will cost you $65 while walking will cost you $47.
Photo Courtesy of cranstoncc.com
Crystal Lake is an 18 hole course that stretches over 6,349 yards adding up to a par 71.
Crystal Lake opened in 2003 and is located on 100 Bronco Highway in Harrisville, Rhode Island.
18 Holes with a cart will cost you $48 from Monday to Thursday while 18 holes with a cart on the weekends will cost you $62.
Photo courtesy of crystallakegolfclub.com
Montaup Country Club is an 18 hold course in Portsmouth, RI that stretches over 6,236 all adding up to a par 71.
Montaup was rated as the fifth best course you can play in the state by Golfweek magazine in 2014.
18 Holes with a cart will cost you $67 from the middle of May to the end of October.
Montaup Country Club is located at 500 Anthony Road in Portsmouth, Rhode Island.
Photo courtesy of montaupcc.com
Triggs Memorial Golf Course was designed by Donald Ross and opened in 1932. The course is a par 72 and spreads over 6,522 yards from the back tees.
Triggs was rated as the second best course you can play in the state by Golfweek Magazine in 2014. Triggs was also ranked as the 14th best course in New England by New England Golf Monthly in 2014.
At Triggs, you can play 18 holes with a cart for $58 during the week while on the weekends 18 holes with a cart costs $62.
Photo courtesy of triggs.us
Meadow Brook Golf Course is one of the newest and longest public golf courses in Rhode Island, stretching 7400 yards from the back trees, adding up to a par 72. Meadow Brook originally opened in 1929 but since being purchased by the Hendrick Family in 2006, has been completely renovated.
Meadow Brook is located on 163 Kingstown Rd in Richmond RI.
Meadow Broook rates are as follows:
Before 7am : $35/walk $50/ride
7am-1pm: $50/walk $65/ride
Senior: $40/walk $55/ride
1pm-3pm: $40/walk $55 ride
After 3pm: $30/walk $45/ride
Weekends & Holidays
Before 7am: $45/walk $60/ride
7am-1pm: $60/walk $75/ride
Senior (after 11:30) $50/walk $65/ride
1pm-3pm: $40/walk $55/ride
3pm: $30/walk $45/ride
Tee Times are available for booking seven days in advance.
Photo courtesy of meadowbrookgolfri.com
Newport National is an 18-hole course that spreads over 7,244 yards from the back tees adding up to a par 72 that opened in 2002.
Newport National was named the second best public golf course in New England by New England Golf Monthly in 2014 and was ranked as the best course you can play in Rhode Island by Golfweek Magazine in 2014.
Newport National is located on 324 Mitchells Ln in Middletown, RI.
The rates are as follows, all include cart.
Monday, Tuesday, Sunday After 1 p.m. - $65.00
Wednesday - Thursday - $75.00
Friday, Saturday BEFORE 2PM, Sunday BEFORE 1 p.m. - $95.00
Saturday AFTER 2 p.m. - $65.00
Friday - Sunday AFTER 4 p.m. - $55.00
- Dickson, Moses Brown Sweep RIIL Golf State Championships
- Moses Brown Fr. Dickson Shoots 67, Leads RIIL Golf Championship
- 9 RI Golfers Competing in 2014 Northeast Amateur at Wannamoisett
- Top RI Golfers Set for Match Play at Montaup CC
- The $20 Million Preserve OPEN, is Announced and Dubbed, “Greatest Day in Golf”
- CVS Caremark Charity Golf Tournament Field, Events Announced
- Getting Out: 10 Great New England Golf Courses + Mini Golf Spots
- Southern NE Golf Expo Coming in February
- CVS Classic Attracting Top Golfers
- Dear John: Pro Golfer Wants To Play Her
- CVS Caremark Charity Classic Hosts Golf Clinics For Veterans
- BENRUS Open is the Next Evolution in Golf
- 10 Great Public Courses to Play Golf
- Nike to Exit Golf Equipment Business, Tiger Woods to Search for New Clubs
- GoLocalTV: Jeffrey Osborne Celebrity Softball Game & Golf Classic Set for August
- Justin Rose Wins Golf’s First Olympic Gold Medal in 112 Years
- Tiger Woods Plans Return to Competitive Golf in October
- Prov’s Welch to Host Golf Clinic for Wolf School, Brother Before Junior Ryder Cup
- Golf’s #1 Player is Latest in List of Athletes Pulling Out of Olympics Due to Zika Virus
- The Players Championship & One of Golf’s Most Famous Holes
- 23rd Annual Pizzuti Open Golf Tournament Set For July 31
- URI Alum Henderson Named 62nd PGA Golf Professional of the Year
- 33 Golfers Set to Take Part in 100 - Hole Golf Marathon
- URI & Bryant Golf Coaches Set to Enter RI Golf Hall of Fame
- UPDATED: Golf Legend Arnold Palmer Passes Away at Age 87