Providence Police to Start Enforcement of “Do Not Block the Box” Initiative
Tuesday, October 17, 2017
Providence Police Department will begin enforcement of their “Do Not Block the Box” initiative by monitoring two intersections within the City this week.
Police will begin monitoring two locations, Dave Gavitt Way/Broadway and Exchange Street/Memorial Boulevard.
Providence is the first City in Rhode Island to enforce this initiative after its passage into state law.
Blocking the Box
According to police, blocking the box occurs when a car enters the middle of an intersection and is unable to exit, which can cause traffic to become congested, endanger other drivers, and block crosswalks and bike lanes.
The “box” refers to the area that has a white pavement marking of a box with an “x” as indicated in the attached detail.
To avoid blocking the box, drivers should wait to enter an intersection until they are certain they can make it all the way through.
Violations will not be given out within the first two weeks of this initiative but officers will be warning drivers and reminding them of the upcoming enforcement
The first violation is $100.00, the second is $250.00, the third and any subsequent violation is $500.00.
Related Slideshow: Providence Crime By the Numbers - 2016
- Cicilline Ally Pichardo Overrules Providence Police, Reopens The Vault After Shooting
- Former Providence Police Chief Esserman Gets No-Confidence Vote in New Haven
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Providence Police Caught on Tape Beating Woman
- GoLocalTV: NAACP’s Jim Vincent Condemns Providence Police Action
- Community Leaders React to Providence Police Officer Beating Woman
- NEW: Three Protesters Chained to Textron Building Arrested by Providence Police
- Providence Police at City Hall Following Bomb Threat Friday Morning
- Providence Police: 15 Who Made a Difference in 2015
- Providence Police Sergeant Saves Man From Jumping Off Henderson Bridge
- NEW: North Providence Police Union Votes No Confidence in Acting Chief
- Discrepancies Between Providence Police Beating Video and Police Report
- Who’s Investigating Providence Police Beating Caught on Tape?
- UPDATED: Providence Police Arrest 30 in “Operation Stop the Flow” Heroin Sting
- UPDATED: Providence Police Respond to Bomb Threat at Jewish Community Center
- New North Providence Police Chief Tikoian Talks About Fresh Start, Following Controversy
- Are the Providence Police Trying To Address Their Transparency Problem?
- Providence Police Add Two New Police Dogs to K9 Unit