UPDATED: Providence Police Respond to Bomb Threat at Jewish Community Center
Tuesday, February 28, 2017
After sweeping the building, the police issued an all-clear.
Providence Police Statement
"A call came in around 11 a.m. this morning for a bomb threat that came into the JCC from a computer generated call," said Lindsay Lague with the Providence Police Department.
"The building was evacuated and our Explosive Detection dog, K9-Kyra and her partner Lincoln Sisson did a sweep of the building and determined the building to be clear. The phone call is under investigation by our detectives," said Lague.
Mitzi Berkelhammer, Chair of the Board, Jewish Alliance of Greater Rhode Island and Jeffrey K. Savit, President & CEO, Jewish Alliance of Greater Rhode Island issued the following statement on Monday
"Like many JCCs and Jewish organizations around the country this month, we received a non-credible threatening phone call earlier today. We have worked with the proper authorities and followed all recommended procedures, ensuring the ongoing safety and security of all members of our community.
As always, we will maintain communication with appropriate law enforcement agencies in order to vigilantly maintain a secure building. We are grateful to the Providence Police Department for their immediate response and continued support."
Anti-Semitism in the U.S: GoLocal Teams with Graphiq on Data BELOW
On Monday, former Congressional candidate Russell Taub urged Providence Mayor Jorge Elorza to take action after a recent incident.
Providence has been hit with another anti-Semitic attack. This time RISD was the target. I call upon Mayor Elorza to create the Providence Jewish Council. We need one more than ever. We had not one anti-Muslim attack in Providence since the creation of the mayors Muslim Advisory Council.
UPDATED 2:55 P.M. Monday
- NEW: Dunkin’ Donuts Corporate Responds to GoLocal Report on #BlackLivesMatter, Prov Police
- See the List - Prov Police Officers Who Made Over 100K
- Prov Police Warn of Scammers Using Police Department Phone Number
- GoLocalTV: Clements Calls Prov Police Officer’s Use of Force in Video “Justified”
- Maj. Oates Leaves Prov Police to be Chief in Woonsocket
- Prov Police Warn About Kidnapping Scam in Area
- RI State Police Responded to 39 Bomb Threats Since 2011
- NEW: Second Tiverton H.S. Bomb Threat
- Breaking: Providence Police Evacuate Westminster Street—Possible Bomb Threat
- Los Angeles Schools Closed Due to Bomb Threat
- Providence Police at City Hall Following Bomb Threat Friday Morning