NEW: Trump to Declare National Emergency to Get More Money for Border Wall
Thursday, February 14, 2019
Trump is expected to sign compromise spending legislation to avert another government shutdown — and according to the White House, will declare a national emergency for more funding.
As Bloomberg.com reported:
“President Trump will sign the government funding bill, and as he has stated before, he will also take other executive action - including a national emergency - to ensure we stop the national security and humanitarian crisis at the border,” White House press secretary Sarah Sanders said in a statement.
“There is no national emergency at the border. Even the President’s intel chiefs say that. No @realDonaldTrump declaration will change that fact,” Congressman David Cicilline Tweeted on Thursday.
University of Virginia Professor of Political Science and regular GoLocal LIVE guest Jennifer Lawless said the following after the announcement.
"Declaring a national emergency for wall funding is the presidential version of a temper tantrum. The circumstances at the border are no worse today than when Trump declared his candidacy. They’re no worse today than when he took office. And they’re no worse today than when he refused to accept to a reasonable deal for border security and opted to shut down the government for 35 days instead," said Lawless.
"The only thing that’s changed is that the president still hasn’t gotten his way. So rather than use the levers of government to craft a meaningful compromise, he’s behaving like a toddler who screams at the store when his parents won’t buy him the Legos he wants. The scary part is that this toddler is the most powerful man on the planet."
Updated Thursday 11:12 p.m.
- Trump Nominates Barr as Next Attorney General
- Trump Jr. & Kushner Should Be “Very Unsettled” by Flynn’s Lack of Jail Time, Says Lawless on LIVE
- Horowitz: Trump Administration Takes Its Climate Change Denial International
- Horowitz: On Obamacare - Trump Given Another Opportunity to Miss an Opportunity
- RI General Assembly Members Call for Trump to Protect Ocean Monuments
- UVA’s Lawless on Ivanka Trump’s Email Problem, Pelosi’s Power Play, and More, on LIVE
- Horowitz: The Trump-Splainers
- UPDATED: U.S. Attorney General Sessions Out, What Will Trump Do About Mueller
- Cicilline Called for Sessions’ Resignation in 2017 - Now Criticizes Trump For AG’s Departure
- Horowitz: Mid-Term Voters Apply Brakes to Trump Presidency
- NEW: Whitehouse Challenges Trump’s Appointment of Whitaker as Acting AG in U.S. District Court
- “I Don’t Think Trump Believes Wall Will Be Built” - RI Latino PAC’s Molina Flynn on LIVE
- Horowitz: Distrust of Trump Complicates Reaching a Shutdown Solution
- Harry Potter Actor Radcliffe Slams Tom Brady Over MAGA Hat and Trump Support
- VIDEO: U.S. Federal Government is Reopening, Says President Trump
- Cicilline to Starbucks’ Schultz: You’re Not Going to Win, You’ll Make it Easier for Trump to Win
- Lawless on Roger Stone: “It’s Very Likely Donald Trump Jr. Could Be Next”
- Warren Questions Trump on Replacement of Dept. of Education Acting Inspector General
- VIDEO: Langevin and Cicilline Reject Trump’s Proposal on Ending the Shutdown
- New Poll Shows Millennials Don’t Like Trump or Twitter
- VIDEO: Senator Reed on Shutdown—and Trump’s Immigration Speech Tuesday Night
- VIDEO: President Trump Addresses the Country and Pushes for Border Security
- Horowitz: Americans Blame President Trump for Shutdown
- Federal Court Orders Trump Admin to Remove Census Citizenship Question
- Horowitz: President Trump’s Falsehoods Mount Up