Prov Police Warn of Scammers Using Police Department Phone Number
Wednesday, January 27, 2016
The scammers alter caller ID to make it appear like the Providence Police are calling. "Spoofed" calls are calls which show an altered number on the caller ID.
Scammers try to scare victims by telling them they will be arrested and usually demand payment through Western Union or by using Green Dot cards.
Police strongly advises the public not to provide any private or confidential information and hang up immediately.
Citizens are advised to contact the Providence Police with any complaints.
- NEW: Police ID Suspect in What Cheer Records Thefts in Providence
- Tolman Police Officer Subject of Pending Federal Lawsuit
- Rally for Black Major in Providence Police Department at City Hall Today
- Rep. Almeida Joins Movement for Black Major in Providence Police
- Half of Providence’s Police Force Eligible to Retire
- NEW: RI State Police to Investigate Pawtucket Police Body Slamming Incident
- NEW: Pawtucket Police Officer Caught on Video Body Slamming Tolman Student
- NEW: Police Officers Demanding Providence Dunkin’ Donuts Employee Be Fired
- NEW: Boehm Voted New President of Providence Police Union - Replaces Manzotti
- NEW: Providence Police Investigating Hate Crime on East Side
- NEW: Ten Arrested in Pawtucket Protests Following Police Body Slamming Incident
- Don Roach: Don’t Force Diversity on the Providence Police Department
- NEW: Providence Police Seek Suspect in Child Abduction
- FBI Files - The Patriarca Papers - Entry 21 (Gov. Notte and Police Green Light Patriarca’s Gambling)
- ACLU, Groups Demand to See RI State Police Report on Tolman Officer
- NEW: RI State Police Says St. George’s Investigation Expanding
- Prov. Police Union Opposed to 18 Year Old Age Requirement
- FBI Files - The Patriarca Papers - Entry 25 (Patriarca’s Influence On the RI State Police)
- Providence Police: 15 Who Made a Difference in 2015
- NEW: Tolman Police Officer Exonerated for Body Slam
- Breaking: Providence Police Evacuate Westminster Street—Possible Bomb Threat
- NEW: Photos of SUV in Fatal Hit-and-Run Released by Providence Police
- RI ACLU Blasts Barrington Police for Arresting Kids as Young as 12
- Providence Police at City Hall Following Bomb Threat Friday Morning
- Is Clements as New Head of RI Police Association at Odds with Other Chiefs?