Organize + Energize: Is Your Cluttered Bedroom Killing Your Mood?
Tuesday, May 24, 2016
I asked people on Facebook to describe how they felt about their bedrooms. I received all types of responses. Some stated it makes them tired, stressed, and overwhelmed. Others said it’s a big mess and it’s not very sexy. Then there are the people who are functioning well in their bedroom and are happy, and felt like they created a calm space. Some were hopeful that they would get it to where they needed it to be.
If you have negative feelings about your bedroom, it’s time to give it a makeover! Declutter, create working organized systems, rearrange the furniture, give it a good cleaning and you can have a new room in a day! What’s holding you back?
Take a minute, grab a pen and paper and stand in the doorway of your bedroom and take a look around. I’m asking you to do this because sometimes you get so used to what’s in this room that everything just starts to blend together. For some, it’s easier to continue functioning this way then to actually tackle this project.
Use the following questions to help you create a plan to move forward.
What’s on the floor? Is it anything that you use on a daily, weekly basis? Are you stepping over clothes when you enter the room? Do you know what’s clean and what isn’t? What else lands on the floor besides clothes?
What’s hiding under the bed? You might find empty water bottles, Kleenex, trash, and other random items. Keep under the bed clean unless you are using it for contained storage.
What’s happening on the tops of your bureaus? What’s on top of here that doesn’t need to be out in the open? Keep the tops of your bureaus fresh and clear of clutter. You’ll find that there may be some dust, because it’s difficult to clean when there is clutter in the way.
What do you keep on your nightstand? The nightstand may be the first thing you see when you open your eyes in the morning. Are there magazines covered in dust? Are there random items that don’t need to be there? Evaluate what is here and how often it’s used.
Is there paper clutter in this room? Unless you have a home office in the bedroom with working systems to contain your paper, keep paper out of your bedroom. It’s a distraction and will add to your mental clutter. Any paper piles hanging around will keep you wondering if there’s something important in there.
What’s holding you back? If your bedroom is killing your mood, what’s holding you back from making the change? Create a vision of how you want to feel and function in this space. If you’re overwhelmed, don’t look at your bedroom as one big project. Break the room into small manageable projects.
Every day you procrastinate on this project is another day you’re not experiencing what it’s like to have a room that’s pure bliss! You can achieve this goal and once you do, you’ll be asking yourself why you didn’t tackle this sooner! You’ll be amazed at how you’ll feel once it’s completed!
Organizing in RI. Kristin teaches her clients that living an organized lifestyle will save them time and money, decrease their stress levels and help them become more efficient and productive. Her articles have been published in local and national magazines. Kristin's CD, Organizing Basics, is a 1-hour guide for the person who wants to get organized but doesn't know where to begin. She is also available for organizing workshops.
Related Slideshow: Organize + Energize: Year in Review - 2015
6 Ways to Find More Time in Your Day
Too often, I hear people say they are too busy and never have time to get things done. Looking for more time in your day? Here are 6 ways to find more time in your day.
5 Reasons You Can't Get Organized
You’ve tried and tried, but just can’t get organized. Here are 5 reasons why you can’t get organized.
7 Things to do when You Are Overwhelmed
Many won’t start an organizing project because they are too overwhelmed. Here are 7 things to do when you are overwhelmed.
7 Mini Habits That Will Move You Closer to Getting Organized
Mini habits will help you maintain your organization. Here are 7 habits that will move you closer to getting organized.
7 Ways You are Wasting Money Due to Your Disorganization
If you are disorganized, you are wasting tons of money. Don’t believe me? Here are 7 ways you are wasting money due to your disorganization.
Peeling Back the Layers of an Organizing Project
Once you begin your organizing projects, you’ll find there are many layers to them. It’s time to dig deep and peel back these layers.
Create a Purpose for Each Room in Your Home
To avoid having rooms where you have to always keep the door shut, create a purpose for each room in your home.
10 Tips for Organizing Your Spare Room
Do you find yourself shutting the door to your spare room? Does it become a black hole for things that don’t have a home? Create a purpose for your spare room and enjoy your new space. Here are 10 tips to organize your spare room.
How to Keep Your Pet Organized
Let’s not forget our furry loved ones. Here are ways to keep your pet organized.
- Organize + Energize: 7 Things to do Before You Redesign a Room
- Organize + Energize: How are You Dealing With Article Clutter?
- Organize + Energize: 6 Ways to Maintain an Organized Home With Kids (and Spouses)
- Organize + Energize: 5 Things to do After You’ve Organized Your Office
- Organize + Energize: ThredUp - One of the Easiest Ways to Sell Your Clothes
- Organize + Energize: 5 Reasons You Can’t Get Rid of Your Stuff
- Organize + Energize: 5 Organizing Mistakes You Don’t Want to Make
- Organize + Energize: 2015 Year in Review
- Organize+ Energize: 4 Organizing Projects to Tackle This Winter
- Organize + Energize: 6 Productivity Habits My Parents Taught Me When I Was Young
- Organize + Energize: The Quick & Easy Way to Sell Your Designer Handbags
- Organize + Energize: 6 Ways to Hack a Tiered Spice Rack
- Organize + Energize: 5 Ways To Stay Focused During Your Organizing Project
- Organize + Energize: The Office Product You Need to Stop Using Now
- Organize + Energize: A Quick Organizing Project - Organizing Your Meds
- 20 Arrested Across Rhode Island in Organized Criminal Gambling Sweep
- 17 Arrested Across Rhode Island in Organized Criminal Gambling Sweep
- Organize + Energize: Stop Resisting Change & Get Organized At Work
- Organize + Energize: 4 Organizing Projects to Tackle This Spring
- Organize + Energize: 6 Reasons You Need to Declutter
- Organize + Energize: Simple Way to Organize Your Receipts
- Organize + Energize: The Harmful Effects of Dry Cleaning Bags
- Organize + Energize: 5 Reasons to Rotate Your Wardrobe