Better Business Bureau Warns of Spring Time Scams
Tuesday, February 23, 2016
Better Business Bureau (BBB) is warning homeowners of spring home improvement scams that will begin to pop up over the next few months.
Homeowners that are planning to use their tax refunds to cover costs of home remodeling projects are advised to be on the looking for scams.
“Spring is a busy season for home improvement projects. Unfortunately, it also becomes a high season for home improvement scams," said Paula Fleming, spokesperson for the local BBB.
The BBB advises homeowners to be wary of contractors who promise work at discounted prices or are going door to door claiming they're doing work in the neighborhood.
“Before hiring a contractor on the spot, be sure to do your research and check out a business at bbb.org. There are many local contractors that will deliver quality work on time and within budget," said Fleming.
BBB gives the following tips:
- Check Out a Business. Be sure to check out any business before hiring. Here you can view BBB Business Reviews, read complaints and reviews, and find out more information. To find a reputable contractor, check out BBB’s Accredited Business Directory.
- Get Multiple Estimates. Before accepting an estimate, get at least three bids or quotes in writing. Don’t feel pressured to go with the lowest bid, as it might reflect the quality of materials.
- Ask for References. Ask for at least two or three references from the business’s last few jobs and ask questions about the quality of work, if it was within budget and on time, and to the customer’s satisfaction.
- Check Out Licenses. Be sure to check if the business is properly licensed in your state, if applicable. It’s also important that any business you hire is properly insured if working on your home.
- Get Everything in Writing. Do not sign a contract until you have read through it entirely. If you made verbal agreements, they should be included in the written contract. Any deposit or payment plans should be included, as well as, any warranties or guarantees.
For more information, click here.
Related Slideshow: RI Business Rankings in US
See how Rhode Island stacked up.
Rhode Island has 2015's eighth highest insurance premium penalties for high risk drivers, according to a WalletHub report.
Rhode Island ranks fifth overall in the category of speeding over 20 mph annual premium increase at $482. While ranking third overall in the category of 2 accidents annual premium increase at $2,721.
Rhode Island ranks ninth overall under the reckless driving annual premium increase at $749.
Rhode Island has been ranked as the 8th most eco-friendly state in the country, according to a recent study by WalletHub.
Rhode Island ranks third in environmental quality and 16th in Eco-Friendly Behaviors Ran landing them in 8th overall.
RI is behind Washington and New Hampshire who are in the six and seven spots respectively, and in front of Connecticut and Hawaii who come in at the nine and ten spot.
Rhode Island is 2015's 4th Worst State to be a taxpayer, according to a recent WalletHub report.
Rhode Island ranks 48th of 51 with an average state and local tax price of $7,159 which is good for a 27% difference from the national average.
The states that are directly behind Rhode Island are Wisconsin at $7,159, Nebraska at $7,298 and Illinois at $7,719 for a 37% difference from the national average.
Rhode Island has the highest vehicle property taxes in the country, paying an average of $1,133 according to a report from WalletHub.
Virginia and Kansas are the two states just ahead of Rhode Island in the 49 and 50 spots, paying $962 and $905 respectively.
RI also ranks 42nd in average real estate tax, paying an average of $2,779, according to the WalletHub report.
WalletHub has ranked Rhode Island as the 7th worst state to be rich in in a recent in depth analysis of 2015's Best States to be Rich or Poor From a Tax Perspective.
On a scale with 1 being the best, and 25 being average, Rhode Island ranks 37th in low income earners, 42 in middle income earners and 45th in high income earners.
To see the full report, click here.
Providence-metro ranks at the bottom for job creation in 2014
Rhode Island has been ranked amongst the worst in job creation, according to a recent survey done by Gallup.
Gallup gives the Prov-metro area an index score of 23, the lowest score is the New York- New Jersey area with 20.
Salt Lake City, Utah and Austin-round Rock, Texas rank the highest with a score of 37.
The 2014 state rankings by Forbes has just been released and Rhode Island moved up two spots from #48 in 2013 to #46 in 2014.
What does Forbes say about RI's business environment"
After Michigan and Illinois, Rhode Island has experienced the third worst net migration out of its state in the country over the past five years. With a recent unemployment rate of 7.6%—lower than only Georgia and Mississippi—residents are leaving the state in search of jobs. Rhode Island has been stuck in the bottom five overall for six straight years. One plus: labor costs are 5% below the national average, which stands out in the expensive Northeast.
Findings from The State Business Tax Climate Index were released this morning by Tax Foundation which found Rhode Island to have the 45th best tax climate for businesses for 2015. The state's rank has not changed since last year after The Index analyzed 100 different tax variables in multiple categories.
After conducting an online suvery consisting of 1,050 individuals from both parties across the nation, WalletHub ranked Rhode Island as having America's 33rd fairest tax system.
Providence is the second worst city in America for small business, according to a new survey conducted by Thumbtack.com and the Kauffman Foundation.
More than 12,000 small businesses in 82 cities across the country participate in the survey. Providence received an overall "F" grade for small business friendliness.
Small Business Friendliness Grade: F
The Economist grades states on an A+ to F grading scale for its small business climate. Rhode Island is one of just 6 states to earn an "F" grade.
Overbearing bureaucracy and excessive licensing is stifling small business in America.
CNBC ranks each state in cost of doing business, economy, technology and innovation.
Rhode Island's unemployment rate as of May 2014 was 8.2 percent. This is RI's lowest unemployment rate since August 2008.
Forbes ranks each state in business costs, economic climate, and growth prospects. RI is third worst in 2013.
The most damning in the commentary:
After Michigan, Rhode Island has experienced the second worst net migration in the country over the past five years.
ChiefExecutive.net ranks each state in taxations and regulations, workforce quality, and living environment.
The most damning in the commentary:
Sky-high unemployment rate bespeaks continuing terrible business climate.
#46 Tax Foundation
Tax Foundation ranks each state in corporate tax rank, sales tax rank, and unemployment insurance tax rank.
Rhode Island and the other states in the bottom ten suffer from the same afflictions: complex, non-neutral taxes with comparatively high rates.
#24 Wallet Hub
Wallet Hub ranks each state in ROI rank, state tax rank, and overall government services.
Rhode Island ranked #50 for worst roads and bridges, but ranked #4 in safety.
ALEC ranks each state in economic performance and outlook.
Although Rhode Island ranked low in economic performance, a forward-looking forecast is based on the state’s standing in 15 important state policy variables. Some of these variables include top marginal personal income tax rate and sales tax burden.
#50 Kauffman Foundation
Kauffman Foundation ranks each state in entrepreneurship.
Entrepreneurial activity generally is highest in Western and Southern states
and lowest in Midwestern and Northeastern states.
#47 Free Enterprise
Free Enterprise ranks each state in performance, exports, innovation + entrepreneurship, business climate, talent pipeline, infrastructure.
Rhode Island has continued to feel the direct impact and ripples from the recent recession—it ranks 47th overall in economic performance. However, positive rankings of 15th in talent pipeline and 16th in innovation and entrepreneurship suggest the existence of a foundation on which to build the future.
The Pew Charitable Trusts
#40 The Pew Charitable Trusts
The Pew Charitable Trusts ranks each state in job growth and job creation.
Rhode Island added 6,223 jobs in 2014.
10th Worst in Gallup's Annual Ranking of State Job Markets 2014
Rhode Island has been ranked 10th worst for job creation in Gallup's annual ranking of state job markets in 2014 with a job creation index number of 21
Rhode Island is one of two (Connecticut) states to rank in the bottom ten each year since 2008.
The 2014 State level findings have were drawn from 201,254 interviews with employed adults across the nation.
- LEGAL MATTERS: 4 Reasons Not To Trust The Better Business Bureau
- Better Business Bureau Gives Uber Failing Grade
- Better Business Bureau Warns Consumers of Fake Package Notices
- NEW: National Grid Warns Customers About New Bill Payment Scam
- NEW: Kilmartin Warns of New Text Message Scam
- NEW: Caramadre Pleads Guilty to Scamming Elderly
- Scammer Gave Over $250k to Top Pols: Will They Return the Cash?
- How to Avoid Cyber Monday Scams
- NEW: Kilmartin Warns of ‘Grandma Scam’
- NEW: AG Kilmartin Warns of New Healthcare Scams
- NEW: Kilmartin Warns of Super Bowl Scams
- NEW: AG Kilmartin Warns of Craigslist Rental Scams
- NEW: Cranston Scammer Gets 96 Months in Prison
- NEW: National Grid Warns of Utility Bill Scam
- LEGAL MATTERS: How To Protect Yourself From Online Scams
- NEW: AG Kilmartin Warns RI Football Fans of Possible Ticket Scams
- Riley: Providence Pension Scam is Unraveling
- BBB Warns of Playoff Ticket Scams
- Riley: Providence Pension Scam Revealed in Print
- Newport Manners & Etiquette: Online Dating Scams + More
- Former MIT Dean & Son Get 45 Months in Prison for Hedge Fund Scam
- SCAM ALERT: Pinterest Accounts Being Hacked By Scammers
- Scammed RI Hockey Great Seeks Millions in Bilked Investments
- NEW: Mollis Warns RI Businesses of Direct Mail Scam
- NEW: National Grid Warns of Latest Payment Scam
- LEGAL MATTERS: Modeling Scams
- NEW: AG Kilmartin Warns of Jury Duty and Arrest Warrant Scam in RI
- Prov Police Warn of Scammers Using Police Department Phone Number