Block Poll Shows 9 Point Lead Over Fung in RI GOP Primary
Tuesday, May 20, 2014
See Block April 2014 Survey Findings BELOW
"The single most important thing is that Ken's message has been received loud and clear," said Block spokesperson Jeff Britt. "It's time for real change. We're going to take the data we have here and move on to to the general election. If Fung wants to be negative that's up to him."
The poll conducted by Fabrizio, Lee, and Associates on April 22 and 23 had a sample size of 300 likely GOP primary voters. A previous survey was conducted in October 2012.
Parsing the Poll
"People misunderstand polls -- it's not about how you're doing. We're talking about very specific problems with specific solutions. What we've learned is that people want real solutions, not soundbites."
Britt noted that Block went from only 27% of potential voters seeing him as a conservative in October to 40% seeing him that way now.
"We've polled Ken's messaging, and people understand what he's saying," said Britt. "The negative attacks on Ken have had largely no effect. We're happy and excited where we are."
Britt noted the increase in favorables for Block, as compared to Fung. "Ken's total favorables jumped, as well as the "very favorable" category, from October to April. Allan's "very favorable" number dropped in that time. Ken's base has gotten stronger, while Allan's has gotten smaller."
"Our internal polling shows a different race and the truth is that Mayor Fung will be the Republican nominee. Rhode Island Republicans are enthusiastically supporting Mayor Fung with their wallets and their endorsements. Once Republican primary voters learn Ken Block voted for President Obama twice and supported Obamacare, they overwhelmingly reject his candidacy. We are completely confident that these poll numbers are as unreliable as his credentials to run as a Republican," said Patrick Sweeney, spokesperson for the Fung for Governor campaign.
Sweenedy added, "We are up to 23 Chairmen and Chairwomen endorsements, 9 city and town endorsements, the Young Republicans, and both national committee persons."
On Monday, Fung announced the endorsements of RI GOP national committee chairpersons Carol Mumford and Steve Frias.
"What our polling data shows is what people knew about Ken in October, the more they get to know him, they know him in positive ways," said Britt, of Block's favorability.
Stlll, Britt said the campaign was now focusing on the general election. "If there are contrasts to be drawn with [Fung], we will. We won't pay too much attention to Allan at this point. We're focused on the [Democrats]. Ken's made his case with the Republicans."
Related Slideshow: Block April 2014 GOP Primary Voter Survey
On April 22 and 23, Fabrizio, Lee, and Associates conducted a survey of likely GOP primary voters statewide in Rhode Island, with a sample size of 300, for gubernatorial candidate Ken Block.
Below are key findings from that survey.
Most Important Issues
Which of the following issues are most important in deciding your vote for Governor?
Oct. 13 April 14
Creating jobs 44 41
Eliminating Corruption 9 17
Lowering Taxes 9 11
Balancing Budget 9 10
Eliminating Waste 9 6
Illegal Immigration 6 4
Family Values 4 3
Improving Education 2 2
Reforming Welfare 2 1
Improving Healthcare 1 *
Fighting crime 1 *
Protecting Environment - *
- Fung and Block: Do Either Represent GOP on Guns?
- John Hazen White’s LOOKOUT: Heeding Block’s Call for Bold Actions
- NEW: GOP Candidate Block Unveils Plan to “Fix Rhode Island”
- NEW: Fung Campaign Calls on Ken Block to Release Tax Returns
- Mayor Allan Fung Challenges Governor Chafee on 38 Studios
- NEW: Block Blasts Chafee and Raimondo on “Closed Door Deal Making”
- NEW: Block Calls Out Raimondo, Taveras, Fung for Ties to Fox
- NEW: Fung to Speak at Northeast Republican Leadership Conference
- NEW: Ken Block Receives Endorsement From RI Taxpayers
- NEW: Block Calls for Halt on 38 Studios Bond Payments
- NEW: Block: Fung Flip-Flops on Corporate Tax Cut
- NEW: Fung, Pell Report Q1 Fundraising Totals
- Block Blasts Fung, Taveras, Raimondo for Support of Fox
- NEW: Ken Block Receives Endorsement From Rep. Doreen Costa
- NEW: Block Islander Brian Williams Rapping Goes Viral
- NEW: Cranston Police Union Attorney Blasts Fung Proposal
- NEW: Westerly Republican Town Committee Endorses Allan Fung
- Block Poll Shows 9 Point Lead Over Fung in RI GOP Primary
- RI Public Radio Reporter Says Station Blocking Her Unemployment
- NEW: Block Pledges No More Moral Obligation Bonds if Elected
- NEW: Fung + Block to Compete in Straw Poll at North Kingstown GOP
- Block: Fung + Raimondo “Engage in Destructive Political Games”
- Richard August: Block Island Deer Slaughter Canceled
- NEW: Cape Air Announces Service to Block Island
- NEW: Fung As Councilman Voted for Gun Limits, Costa Reacts
- Fung Endorsed by Mumford and Frias in RI Governor’s Race
- Should Gov Candidate Ken Block Release His Tax Returns?
- NEW: Doherty Campaign Manager Endorses Ken Block
- NEW: Fung Calls For Fox to Step Down From Speaker
- NEW: Former Radio Host Helen Glover Endorses Block for Governor
- NEW: Fung Calls for Chafee and Raimondo to “Come Clean” on Pensions