Russell’s Career-High 20 Points Helps URI Cruise Past Brown 86-62
Wednesday, November 29, 2017
THAT'S 20 FOR THE KID!!!!!! ������ pic.twitter.com/FvTydWabKG— Rhody MBB (@RhodyMBB) November 29, 2017
University of Rhode Island men’s basketball team cruised past in-state rival Brown 86-62 on Tuesday night at the Ryan Center.
The 20 points came on 7 of 11 shooting from the field, including 5 of 6 from three.
The win improves the Rams to 4-2 on the season, while Brown drops to 4-3.
The Rams have now won six straight games over Brown and 15 of the last 16.
URI Cruises to Win
The Rams got off to a fast start and never looked back.
Leading 10-4 with 14:28 to play after Brown’s Joshua Howard converted a layup, URI went on a 14-5 run capped off by a Jeff Dowtin layup to take a 24-9 lead with 7:35 to play.
Brown would cut their deficit to 10, 28-18, on a Matt DeWolf free throw with 3:39 to play, however, URI would close the half on a 15-7 run to take a 43-25 lead into the break.
Jared Terrell would add 16 points and Dowtin would add 14 for the Rams, who would cruise to the win in the second half.
Brown was led by Brandon Anderson, who poured in 18 points.
URI returns to action on Saturday, December 2 when they host Providence at the Ryan Center.
Game time is set for 5 p.m.
Brown is also back in action on December 2 when they host Central Connecticut at the Pizzitola Center.
Game time is set for 2 p.m.
It's the Fatts Russell show here as the Rhody freshman put up a career-high 13 points so far - all within the last 3:31 of the half! - sending URI into the break with a 43-25 lead over Brown! pic.twitter.com/vZeYiQ1lDr— Rhody MBB (@RhodyMBB) November 29, 2017
Related Slideshow: URI Rams Basketball 2017-18 Projected Starting Lineup
E.C. Matthews - Redshirt Senior
E.C. Matthews returns for his redshirt senior season, now two years removed from ACL surgery. The Rams will need him to regain his form.
Matthews missed a couple of weeks during the preseason with knee tendinitis, but has since returned to practice and did play in URI's "secret scrimmage" against Harvard last week.
Prior to the start of this season, Matthews was named to the first preseason All-Atlantic 10 team during A-10 Media Day. He is also on the John Wooden Award Watch List.
Last season, Matthews averaged 15 points per game on 42% shooting from the field. In the A-10 Tournament, Matthews carried the Rams offense scoring 20, 19 and 19 points respectively in the three games to get the Rams the title.
Jared Terrell - Senior
Jared Terrell was named to second preseason All-Atlantic 10 team during A-10 Media Day.
He returns to the Rams after averaging 13 points, three rebounds and one steal per game in 2016-17.
Terrell will look to build off last season in which he shot 42 % from the field - the highest of his career.
Jeff Dowtin - Sophomore
Jeff Dowtin is coming off a freshman season in which he started the final 19 games, including both NCAA Tournament games.
He averaged six points and two assists in 22 minutes of action per game last season while also recording 17 steals on the year.
In URI's NCAA Tournament game against Creighton, Dowtin poured in a career-high 23 points on 6 of 8 shooting from the field.
Andre Berry - Senior
In two seasons with the Rams, Andre Berry has played in 30 games, but hasn't started any.
For his career, Berry has averaged 2.4 points and 1.6 rebounds in an averaged of six minutes per game.
Cyril Langevine - Sophomore
Cyril Langevine will make the start at one of the forward positions as the Rams will try to replace Hassan Martin, who they lost to graduation.
Last season, Langevine played in 35 games and started five games for URI averaging three point, five rebounds, and one block.
In URI's NCAA game against Oregon, Langevine had a near double-double with nine rebounds and nine points. He also had three steals.
- NEW: URI Basketball Picked to Finish 2nd in A-10
- Former URI Basketball Star Odom Reportedly Found Unconscious in Las Vegas
- URI Basketballl 2015-16 Season Preview
- URI Basketball Signs Head Coach Dan Hurley to Contract Extension
- The URI Basketball Schedule - What we Know, So Far
- URI Basketball Gets Verbal Commit From Cyril Langevine
- URI Basketball Gets Verbal Commitment From Michael Tertsea
- NEW: Bill Murray’s Son, Luke, Leaves URI Basketball For Xavier
- NEW: URI Basketball Lands Indiana Transfer Robinson
- URI Basketball Alums, Biruta, Baron and Munford, Set for NBA Summer League Action
- URI Basketball to be Featured as Part of ESPN’s Tip-Off Marathon
- URI Basketball Releases 2016-17 Non-Conference Schedule
- URI Basketball Ranked #24 in Preseason Coaches Poll
- URI Basketball Gets Commitment From 3-Star Guard Brendan Adams
- URI Basketball Gets Commitment From 4-Star Forward Jermaine Harris
- URI Basketball Picked 1st in A-10 Preseason Poll
- URI Basketball Edges Buffalo in Exhibition Game 80-72 in OT
- URI Basketball Set to Defend A-10 Championship in 2017-18
- NEW: Former URI Basketball Star Martin to Play NBA Summer League With Orlando
- 7 Things to Know About the Future of URI Basketball
- Matthews Returns as #23 URI Basketball Hosts Dartmouth in Season Opener Friday
- Brown and URI Basketball Set to Renew Rivalry at Ryan Center
- URI Basketball Slips to #23 in National Poll - See Top 25
- URI Basketball Moves Up to #21 in National Poll - See Top 25
- Brown, URI Basketball Set to Renew Rivalry at Ryan Center