Raimondo’s Polling Numbers in RI Are Second Lowest Only to Trump’s
Sunday, October 22, 2017
Raimondo has lost substantial support since her election three years ago. According to the poll conducted by John Della Volpe, Harvard’s Kennedy School’s Director of Polling at the Institute of Politics, Raimondo, who was elected with just 40.7 percent of the vote, has lost support, especially among independents.
SEE ALL THE POLL RESULTS BELOW
About the Numbers
According to the poll, Raimondo’s job performance has a combined excellent/good of 34 percent. And, 61 percent of Rhode Islanders score her performance fair/poor.
Combined just 4 percent of Rhode Islanders said they have not heard of her or cannot rate her.
Most concerning for Raimondo and her team is that just 6 percent rate her performance as excellent and 31 percent rate her performance as poor.
Raimondo’s economic policies are not impacting enough Rhode Islanders
Overall job performance is not Raimondo’s only problem. The majority of those polled believe Rhode Island is on the wrong track and the majority of Rhode Islanders don’t believe their family’s financial situation is improving.
Changed for the better............................. 26%
Changed for the worse ........................... 19%
Not changed at all................................... .54%
Don't know/Refused................................ 1%
A majority of those surveyed (48 percent) said they disapprove of how Raimondo is “handling the state’s economy.” Just 41 percent of Rhode Islanders approve of how she handled the economy.
Do you approve or disapprove of the way Governor Raimondo is handling the state economy?
Approve .................................................. 41%
Disapprove ............................................. 48%
Don't know/Refused ............................... 11%
GoLocal’s Benchmark Poll was conducted by Della Volpe’s firm Socialsphere. Della Volpe and his firm have conducted research for the U.S. Marines, the Boston Globe, Politico, Adidas, and ESPN and hundreds of others. He has done extensive political polling in RI over the years.
EDITOR'S NOTE: Cicilline, Langevin, Elorza numbers are statewide. Legislative leaders were not included in the ranking.
Related Slideshow: GoLocal: Benchmark Poll, October 2017
Rhode Island General Election Voters Margin of Error: +/- 4.9% at 95% Confidence Level
Interviewing Period: October 9-11, 2017
Mode: Landline (61%) and Mobile (39%)
Telephone Directed by: John Della Volpe, SocialSphere, Inc.
When it comes to voting, do you consider yourself to be affiliated with the Democratic Party, the Republican Party, Moderate, or Unaffiliated with a major party?
Next year, in November of 2018, there will be a statewide general election for Governor and many other state offices. How likely is it that you will vote in this election?
Will you definitely be voting, will you probably be voting, are you 50-50...
Definitely be voting: 78%
Probably be voting: 13%
In general, would you say things in Rhode Island are headed in the right direction or are they off on the wrong track?
Right track: 39%
Wrong track: 45%
Don't know/Refused: .6%
What would you say is the number one problem facing Rhode Island that you would like the Governor to address?
Jobs and economy: 21%
State budget: 9%
Corruption/Public integrity: .8%
Don’t know: .9%
Over the past three years or so, would you say the economy in Rhode Island has improved, gotten worse, or not changed at all?
Changed for the better: 35%
Changed for the worse: 16%
Not changed at all: 43%
Don't know/Refused: 5%
Over the same time, has your family's financial situation improved, gotten worse, or not changed at all?
Changed for the better: 26%
Changed for the worse: 19%
Not changed at all: 54%
Don't know/Refused: 1%
Recently, a proposal has been made to permit the issuance of $81 million in bonds by the State to build a new stadium for the Pawtucket Red Sox. If there was an election today on this issue, would you vote to approve or reject issuing $81 million in financing supported moral obligation bonds to build the stadium?
Net: Approve: 28%
Definitely approve: 15%
Probably approve: 14%
Net: Reject: 67%
Probably reject: 19%
Definitely reject: 48%
Don't know: 4%
Could you please tell me your age?
Don't know/refused: 1%
What was the last grade you completed in school?
High school grad: 16%
Technical/Vocational school: 1%
Some college: 23%
College grad: 34%
Graduate degree: 24%
Don't know/refused: 1%
The next question is about the total income of YOUR HOUSEHOLD for the PAST 12 MONTHS. Please include your income PLUS the income of all members living in your household (including cohabiting partners and armed forces members living at home).
$50,000 or less: 27%
More $50,000 but less than $75,000: 13%
More $75,000 but less than $100,000: 13%
More $100,000 but less than $150,000: 17%
$150,000 or more: 13%
Don't know/refused: 17%
What particular ethnic group or nationality - such as English, French, Italian, Irish, Latino, Jewish, African American, and so forth - do you consider yourself a part of or feel closest to?
Black or African American: 6%
Would you say that Donald Trump has done an excellent good, fair or poor job as President?
Never heard of: 0%
Cannot rate: 3%
Would you say that Jack Reed has done an excellent good, fair or poor job as a United States Senator?
Never heard of: 6%
Cannot rate: 6%
Would you say that Sheldon Whitehouse has done an excellent good, fair or poor job as a United States Senator?
Never heard of: 6%
Cannot rate: 7%
Would you say that David Cicilline has done an excellent good, fair or poor job as a Member of Congress?
Never heard of: 6%
Cannot rate: 8%
Would you say that James Langevin has done an excellent good, fair or poor job as a Member of Congress?
Never heard of: 13%
Cannot rate: 11%
Would you say that Gina Raimondo has done an excellent good, fair or poor job as Governor?
Never heard of: 1%
Cannot rate: 3%
Would you say that Daniel McKee has done an excellent good, fair or poor job as Lieutenant Governor?
Never heard of: 26%
Cannot rate: 25%
Would you say that Peter Kilmartin has done an excellent good, fair or poor job as Attorney General?
Never heard of: 13%
Cannot rate: 19%
Would you say that Seth Magaziner has done an excellent good, fair or poor job as General Treasurer?
Never heard of: 21%
Cannot rate: 21%
Would you say that Nellie Gorbea has done an excellent good, fair or poor job as Secretary of State?
Never heard of: 20%
Cannot rate: 23%
- GoLocal Benchmark Poll - RI on Wrong Track, PawSox Opposition and More
- GoLocal Benchmark Poll: Do Rhode Islanders Think State is on Right - or Wrong - Track?
- GoLocal to Release Part One of RI Benchmark Poll on GoLocal LIVE, Thursday at 4:00 PM
- GoLocal Benchmark Poll: Majority of RIers Don’t Believe Their Family’s Finances Have Improved
- GoLocal Benchmark Poll: Most Rhode Islanders Believe Economy Has Been Stagnant or Gotten Worse
- GoLocal Benchmark Poll: RIers Overwhelmingly Oppose Public Funding for the PawSox Stadium
- GoLocal and Harvard’s Della Volpe to Release Benchmark Poll on RI Politics and Economy
- ABC6’s “In The Arena” Harvard’s Della Volpe Says Millennials Cost Clinton Presidency
- Harvard’s Della Volpe on GoLocal LIVE: Polling Methods Aren’t Changing Quickly Enough
- GoLocal Teams With Della Volpe’s SocialSphere for Political Polling During 2018 Election Cycle
- GoLocal’s Polling Partner Della Volpe Hosts Mika and Joe of “Morning Joe” at Harvard
- Leading Invenergy Opponent Roselli Declares for Gov. Against Raimondo in Primary on GoLocal LIVE
- Why Are So Many Gearing Up to Run Against Raimondo? See Who Could Run for RI Governor
- Critics Blast Raimondo Administration for $1 Million Waste on Johnson & Johnson Buildout
- Robert Whitcomb: Raimondo’s Correct Veto; NFL Kneeling Distraction; Losing NE’s Forrest
- 26 Examples of Raimondo’s Good, Bad, & Ugly—at 1,000 Days
- Raimondo Refuses to Answer Questions About Leases at Wexford — Despite $40M in Taxpayer Subsidies
- Moore: Raimondo’s Propaganda Program?
- Raimondo’s Office Demands “Good News” Press Conferences by Departments to Mark 1,000 Days
- Nardolillo Blasts Raimondo Over DACA “Special Treatment”
- Sick Time Legislation Passed by Legislature - Now to Raimondo
- Johnson & Johnson Heiress Caught Kicking Horse, Raimondo Has Provided $6M in Incentives to Company
- Experts Look at Raimondo’s First 1,000 Days as Governor of RI
- Raimondo Orders U.S. & RI Flags to Fly at Half-Staff in Honor of Las Vegas Shooting Victims
- Morgan Questions $95 Million State Employee Pay Increase Under Raimondo’s State Employee Buyout Plan
- Paolino, Raimondo Kick Off Construction of $30M Hilton Homewood Suites in Providence
- Sasse Says Raimondo’s Administration Buyout Plan is a Costly “Gimmick”
- Raimondo Calls for Delorenzo to Step Down from RI Democratic Party Leadership
- Raimondo Administration Offers Buy-Outs to Close $25M Budget Hole
- Raimondo Orders RI Flags to Fly at Half-Staff in Honor of Judge Walter Stone
- Magaziner Announces RI Pension Fund Has Pulled Over $500M from Hedge Funds, Shift From Raimondo
- VIDEO: ACLU to Seek Additional Remedies Against Raimondo Administration for UHIP Failures
- Media Experts Preston & Whitcomb Weigh In on Raimondo’s Media Battle
- Raimondo’s Polling Numbers in RI Are Second Lowest Only to Trump’s