NEW: Former IGT Chairman Sweitzer Named Treasurer of Democratic Governors Association
Wednesday, December 12, 2018
“I am pleased to announce Don Sweitzer as the new DGA Treasurer. Don has been a trusted advisor to Democrats for decades, and I’m lucky to have him as a friend, supporter and constituent. Don brings decades of experience from the private sector and Democratic politics to the DGA. A majority of Americans can now count on a Democratic governor to have their backs and stand up to the uncertainty in Washington. Don will be vital in our efforts to win more governorships and develop state-level policies that protect Americans’ access to health care, job training and education. I look forward to working closely with him and building on our historic success,” said Rhode Island Governor Gina Raimondo.
The DGA Treasurer role is an unpaid, volunteer position.
Sweitzer follows Peter O’Keefe, who has served as DGA Treasurer from 2014 to 2018.
As GoLocalProv reported, Sweitzer announced his retirement from IGT earlier this month.
Prior to his role as Chairman of IGT Global Solutions Corporation -- formerly GTech -- Sweitzer was Senior Vice President of Global Business Development and Public Affairs. Before joining the Company in 1998, Sweitzer served in prominent senior roles in federal and state politics.
He was political director of the Democratic National Committee during the first term of former U.S. President Bill Clinton, and was an advisor to elected representatives, including Senators Edward M. Kennedy, D-Massachusetts and Howard M. Metzenbaum, D-Ohio. He also worked for Paul Manafort in the 1990s.
Sweitzer first became involved with politics when he was elected to public office, serving as deputy town supervisor and councilman in East Greenbush, New York.
Sweitzer has been a regular on GoLocal's Power List and Rhode Island's Wealthiest and Most Influential. He has held roles on the boards of non-governmental organizations including current Co-Chair and past Chairman of the International Foundation for Electoral Systems and current board member of the Providence Performing Arts Center. Don is also a member of the Lottery Industry Hall of Fame.
Related Slideshow: Election Night 2018: Photos of Democratic Heaven and GOP Hell in RI
- NEW: Major Democratic Powerbroker Sweitzer Retiring as Chair of IGT
- Election Night 2018: Photos of Democratic Heaven and GOP Hell in RI
- Brown University’s “No Labels” Aims to Bring Democrats & Republicans Together
- Raimondo Elected Head of Democratic Governor’s Association
- Cicilline Wins Re-Election, Now Seeks Top Democratic Leadership Slot
- Young Democrats of RI Call for Mattiello’s Tenure to End Over Handling of Sexual Harassment Claims
- Democratic Party’s LGBTQ Caucus Blasts Fung for “Hurting” Community
- PHOTOS: Over 200 People Attend Ward 5 Democratic Breakfast & Rally
- RI Democratic Women Leaders Call on Fung to End Association With DePetro
- RI Libertarian House Candidate Hunt Gets Endorsements from Democrats and Republicans
- Democratic Candidate for State Rep. in RI is a Registered Republican in Florida
- R.W. Alley: “Reflecting on What it Means to Be a Democrat in RI”
- Endorsement Fallout in RI Democratic Party an “Open Wound,” Says Former State Rep. Marcello on LIVE
- Democrats are “Scrambling to Energize Their Base,” Says DC Political Strategist Sullivan on LIVE
- RI Progressive Democrats Endorse Carbone for Mayor of Warwick
- RI Democratic Party Receives $100K Grant From National Committee
- Leading Democrat Endorses GOP Candidate in Warwick Mayor’s Race
- AG-Elect Neronha Leases Space from Democratic National Committeeman Paolino