Don Roach: If Progressives Win, We Lose
Wednesday, June 13, 2012
Netroots Nation, a collection of progressive minds, held their annual convention in Providence this past week and it got me thinking – what is the end goal for Progressives? The next question that followed was – if Progressives achieve their goal is that better or worse for America? It should come as no surprise that I concluded that if Progressives win and get their way, we (Americans) lose and we lose big.
While it’s not a stated goal, Progressives ultimately seek to create a new God – the god of government. You read that correctly, progressives want government to become our new God. They want government to intrude and dictate every part of our lives. From school, to marriage, to healthcare, to taxes, government is the answer – the only answer – to resolve moral, political, economic, and racial problems.
What’s more, progressives aren’t tolerant of other religions. If you don’t agree with progressives you’re part of the problem and you need to be, for lack of a better word, eliminated. Think government should be small – looking at you libertarians, you need to recognize that government must protect all people, especially the poor, and make sure that the rich pay their fair share to their god. Think government should be spending more time looking at ways to take less money from people – you’re an inconsiderate human being unconcerned with your fellow man’s plight.
Progressive rhetoric shows true colors
Don’t believe me – listen to some of the rhetoric:
Progressivism needs progressive rhetoric to match policy if it wants to be around long enough to make a real impact. […]This is a two party country. You can say you aren't "ideological" and that you are a pragmatist, as Obama does, but polarity is the norm.
In other words, progressives believe in ‘us versus them’. Some of their rhetoric talks about ‘big tent’ but it’s only as big and wide as those that agree with them. Here’s a little more:
Health care in America is a failed product. The failure is not with our hospitals, universities, or health care professionals. The failure is in the way we pay for something we all need, by filtering all that cash through an insurance industry that takes a bigger cut than a loan shark.
So rather than filtering cash through the insurance industry, guess where the cash should be filtered? Obviously, we must filter cash through the god of government silly. And you may recall this when Arizona Rep. Giffords was shot:
We certainly agree that conservatives cannot be directly blamed for the horrendous acts that Jared Lee Loughner committed on Sunday. But there can be little reasonable dispute that creating an atmosphere of violent rhetoric aimed at one side of a political debate makes it far more likely that some unhinged individual is going to act on such rhetoric in ways that have horrible consequences.
Here the author seems to indirectly blame conservatives and the ‘violent rhetoric’. Again, us versus them and people who believe in the right to own a gun are enemies because a private citizen owning a gun undermines governmental authority. Undermining government authority is sacrilege to progressives.
Don’t let them win
Folks, we cannot allow progressives to win. If we do, we’ll live in a world where government tells us how to think, act, talk; we’ll be told what to do with all of our money not just a portion; we’ll have to pay for products and services for which we have no use or desire to support. Progressive couch their true cult of government behind terms such as ‘working families’, ‘fairness’, and ‘equality’. It’s a neat little trick, but it’s still a trick. Their true goal is to use government to enact their ideology of control. America was founded upon different principles and by people who believed very differently than our modern progressive friends. Let’s make sure to tell them and politicians who support their cause that we, the people, have no interest in trading in our private religion for a new not-so-shiny government god.
Don Roach is a member of the Rhode Island Republicans. Don can be reached at [email protected]
- Don Roach: 2nd Place a Win in New Hampshire
- Don Roach: Black People are Getting Lost in the American Shuffle
- Don Roach: Religious Freedom isn’t Important to Obama
- Don Roach: 38 Studios Was Never a Good Investment
- Don Roach: Brendan Doherty Needs to Up His Game
- Don Roach: Rhode Island Needs a Sales Tax Holiday
- Don Roach: 5 Reasons Conservatives Don’t Trust Romney
- Don Roach: Carcieri Makes Chafee Look Like a Genius
- Don Roach: Rhode Island’s Christmas Carol
- Don Roach: 5 Reasons Taxing the Rich is Stupid
- Don Roach: David Cicilline Ruined Providence
- Don Roach: Super Tuesday, The Day of Reckoning?
- Don Roach: 5 Things to Watch for in 2012
- Don Roach: Just Say No to In-State Tuition for Illegal Immigrants
- Don Roach: The Buffett Rule is Really the Buffet Rule
- Don Roach: After Iowa, What Next?
- Don Roach: MLK’s legacy is More than Just a Holiday
- Don Roach: Will Gemma Knock Off Cicilline?
- Don Roach: Allan Fung Needs to be RI’s Next Governor
- Don Roach: Newt Fights Back in South Carolina
- Don Roach: With Santorum Out, Nothing Left to Stop Romney
- Don Roach: Angel Taveras is Losing His Shine
- Don Roach: Providence City Council Unanimously Votes Republican