Incident at Central High School in Providence Under Investigation UPDATED
Thursday, October 26, 2017
"I saw this video, and I immediately reached out to the city and school officials," said Pilar McCloud, the Chair of the NAACP Providence Youth Branch, on Wednesday.
McCloud said she was told there were events leading up to the video -- as well as following -- that have prompted the investigation.
Response to Video
"Look, we need answers. Folks are seeing this video and want to know what happened," said McCloud. "If the student did in fact to something prior, where was the [School Resource Officer]? Is there even one?"
"And I want to know why this use of force was justified," said McCloud. "It would have been a different story, a different reaction, if a student was injured like this in a Barrington, or East Greenwich."
Providence School Department Responds
The Providence School Department responded to GoLocal's request for comment on Wednesday afternoon:
"We at Providence Public Schools were alarmed and dismayed by the physical altercation in the cafeteria at Central High School on Monday involving a student and an assistant principal. The district immediately contacted the police and put the assistant principal on administrative leave, pending a personnel review. Additionally, the school district has explicitly requested that police investigate the incident in its entirety," said PPSD spokesperson Laura Hart.
Editor's Note: GoLocal is not publishing the video, in the event the student caught on video is a minor.
Updated 1:55 PM Wednesday
Related Slideshow: Providence Crime By the Numbers - 2016
- Looking at Hate Crimes Across the United States
- West Side Residents Demand Action on Crime-Ridden House
- Providence Place Mall Hit By Violent Crimes
- Head of the NAACP Asks FBI to Investigate PC Bottle Incident as a Hate Crime
- Councilman Salvatore Urges Police to Take Action on Crime in Prov Neighborhood
- Elorza Tackles Crime, Protestors at East Side Community Forum
- NEW: Providence Police Investigating Hate Crime on East Side
- Nguyen: Goodell’s Final Decision - Does the Punishment Fit the Crime?
- East Side Realtors Sound Alarm on Spike in Crime
- Guest MINDSETTER ™ Tony Santos: High Crimes & Misdemeanors, Mayor Allan Fung’s Fall From Honor
- RI’s Most Violent Cities and Towns: New FBI Crime Data
- Cheat Sheet 47, FBI Files: Patriarca Runs His Crime Organization from Jail
- Cianci Family Angered By Crimetown Profiting From Depiction of Cianci Image
- City Council Members Blast Behavior of College Students After Multiple Crimes
- Mini Crime Spree: Two Providence Employees Arrested, One Suspended
- Curious Case of Patriarca Crime Family and American Nazi Party - Both Led By Providence Men
- Politics of Hate Crimes in Providence