NEW: Brown U. Names Logan Powell Next Dean of Admission
Tuesday, May 31, 2016
Brown University has named Logan Powell as their next dean of admission effective July 1, 2016. Powell is currently the director of admission at Princeton University.
“I am tremendously honored and humbled to serve as Brown’s next dean of admission. Brown is a remarkably collaborative and vibrant institution, and I look forward to joining a dynamic community of scholars, students and alumni. In the spirit of partnership, I seek to work with colleagues from around the University to enroll students who will continue to represent a great depth of intellectual curiosity and diversity of thought," said Powell.
Powell will succeed current Dean of Admission James Miller, a 1973 Brown graduate who joined the university in 2005 and announced plans to retire earlier this year.
“The dean of admission is a critically important position in the University’s efforts to advance academic excellence. Dean Powell will serve as a strategic leader, responsible for ensuring that Brown continues to attract and support the most talented, creative, intellectually independent, driven and diverse students from across the nation and around the globe," said Provost Richard Locke.
As Brown's dean of admission, Powell will oversee a staff of 38, including 19 admission officers and will also be responsible for the identification, recruitment and selection of all undergraduates seeking entrance to Brown.
While at Princeton, Powell was responsible for overall office management and operations, supervising a team of 40 and directing a comprehensive student application review process. Powell has also led strategic planning to inform policy development regarding issues like early action and standardized testing requirements.
Powell worked closely with Princeton's athletic department and has been Princeton Faculty Athletic Fellow, serving as an advisor to student athletes.
Prior to Princeton, Powell, worked as a senior associate dean of admission at Bowdoin College and senior admissions officer at Harvard.
Powell earned his master's in education from Harvard, with an emphasis in higher education, and a bachelor of arts from Bowdoin.
- NEW: Brown University’s “BrainGate” Program Wins $1M Prize
- NEW: Brown University to Host Teach-In and Vigil on Syria
- NEW: Famed Author Jamaica Kincaid to Read at Brown University
- Brown University to Host Senator Olympia Snowe
- Brown University Ranked a Top ROI College in 2014 by Forbes
- NEW: Brown University Grants $50K to Providence Schools
- Brown University Awards 2,419 Degrees at Commencement 2013
- NEW: “Lend a Hand” Campaign for Sunil Tripathi at Brown University
- Brown University Freshmen Top 15 Happiest in the US
- Ben Affleck To Receive Honorary Doctorate From Brown University
- NEW: Brown University Corporation Elects 12 New Members
- Brown University As Seen From A Drone
- Brown University Names New Dean of the College
- GoLocalTV: Brown University Alums in the 2016 Presidential Race
- Brown University Grad Rafael Maia Takes 5th Year at Pitt
- Brown University Math Institute Awarded Renewal of $17.5 Million Grant
- Brown University Rescinds Honorary Degree Bestowed to Bill Cosby ‘85
- Brown University & RI Hospital Earn Grants to Teach Addiction Screening
- Brown University Graduate Student Dies in Fall from Science Library Building
- Brown University Admits 2,580 to Class of 2019
- NEW: Brown University Investigated by Feds in Sexual Assault Case
- NEW: Brown University Names Cliatt New VP for Communications
- 30 Brown University Alumni Leading the United States in Business
- Aronson, Founding Dean Of Medicine at Brown University, Dies at 92
- Brown University Public Safety Officers Vote No Confidence in Leadership