Brown University Graduate Student Dies in Fall from Science Library Building
Wednesday, April 01, 2015
died from a fall from the Science Center Library on Tuesday.
According to the Brown Daily Herald, "Hyoun Ju Sohn GS died Tuesday morning after falling through a 12th floor window of the Sciences Library. Sohn was a first-year physics doctoral student from South Korea."
Message from Brown President
The following message was sent from Brown University President Christina Paxson on Tuesday afternoon, immediatey following the incident.
Members of the Brown Community,
I am writing in great sorrow to tell you of the death of one of our own. Shortly after noon today, emergency personnel from Brown University and the Providence Police responded to the scene of an apparent suicide at the University's Sciences Library. A Brown graduate student had fallen to his death. At this time, I cannot confirm the student’s name or department pending notifications to family, friends and colleagues. Further information will be communicated as soon as possible.
The loss of a student is a tragedy and impacts all members of the Brown community, near and far. The University immediately made counseling services available to individuals who witnessed the event and is in the process now of arranging further support services and gatherings for this afternoon and evening. I urge you to take care of each other. Support services for all members of our community are available from Counseling and Psychological Services (863-3476) and from the Office of the Chaplain and Religious Life (863-2344). Please use these services if you or others you know need support. Additional information regarding support will be communicated later today.
A vigil for mourning and healing will take place this evening at 6:30 pm on the steps of the Robert Campus Center. This vigil had been previously planned in response to difficult events that have affected Brown in recent weeks. Sadly, we now have another reason to mourn, and to help each other heal.
- Brown Falls 76 -74 to Harvard in OT Heartbreaker
- Brown to Host NASA Planetary Chief
- Brown Edges Dartmouth 67-64, Earns 1st Conference Win
- Second Half Struggles Lead Brown to 75-64 Loss to Princeton
- Hobbie Leads Brown Past Penn 71-55
- Moses Brown to Host Concussion Discussion Forum
- Columbia Runs Past Brown, 86-65
- NEW: Brown’s Endowment Underperforms Ivy League By 14%
- Late Game Struggles Doom Brown, Fall 57-49 to Cornell
- Brown Men’s Crew Releases 2015 Schedule, Hosts 4 Time Champ Washington
- Boies and Olson To Give Lecture on Marriage Equality at Brown
- Brown Ends Season With 73-62 Loss to Harvard
- Brown Blows 24 Point Lead, Fall 75-69 to Dartmouth
- Moses Brown School Hosts Annual Education Summit
- EXCLUSIVE: President’s Daughter Malia is Scheduled to Tour Brown Next Week
- NEW: Student Falls From Brown’s Science Library
- Moses Brown Cancels School for Blizzard Juno with Hilarious Video
- Aronson, Founding Dean Of Medicine at Brown University, Dies at 92