EDITORIAL: The PawSox Stadium Solution
Tuesday, December 26, 2017
For nearly three years, far too much of Rhode Island’s energy has been consumed with an endless circular debate over the future of the PawSox and the requests by the ownership group for public subsidies for a new stadium.
On one side is a group of some of America’s most successful and wealthy businessmen who purchased a minor league baseball team of their own free will. Only one of them is a Rhode Island resident.
A second group is comprised of elected state officials who fear voter backlash, and are queasy about providing public dollars to a group of America’s super-rich. Their enthusiasm is further muted when the package called for $38 million in public financing — sparking memories of the never-ending Rhode Island nightmare of 38 Studios.
The third group is the most unlikely coalition of Progressive Democrats, Republicans, Libertarians, and taxpayer groups all adamantly opposed to public subsidies for the stadium.
There is a solution.
It is quite simple and fair.
The construct would preserve the PawSox’s continue play Rhode Island and begin the process of restoring the team’s brand — once beloved and now becoming a symbol of corporate greed.
1) The state of Rhode Island would acquire the land and provide a ground lease for 99-years to the PawSox ownership group, In addition, the state would build the necessary roads. A commitment similar to the development of the Patriot’s Gillette Stadium.
2) The owners of the PawSox would finance their own stadium. It is what Bob Kraft did, it is what Jeremy Jacobs did with the TD Bank Garden. This structure would allow the owners to begin to rebuild a relationship with Rhode Islanders. The PawSox were once a beloved iconic element of Rhode Island life, but the past three years of demands and threats has dismantled the legacy of Ben Mondor and crippled attendance.
For the owners of the PawSox, the decision is becoming clear — they can be the corporate group that threatens and cajoles, they can be the group that moves the team away, or they can assert themselves as the civic-minded leaders who create a permanent legacy and enhance the lives of Rhode Islanders. Short money to create a positive legacy.
This deal would show that Rhode Islanders value the PawSox by providing millions to create an infrastructure and help to rehab Pawtucket and the deal would show that the owners appreciate the public support.
If not, best of luck in Worcester, Montreal or wherever. Rhode Island needs to move on to tackle other challenges and seize on bigger opportunities. (Maybe the better opportunity is to talk to Kraft about moving the Revolution to Providence anyway).
Related Slideshow: GoLocal: Benchmark Poll, October 2017
Rhode Island General Election Voters Margin of Error: +/- 4.9% at 95% Confidence Level
Interviewing Period: October 9-11, 2017
Mode: Landline (61%) and Mobile (39%)
Telephone Directed by: John Della Volpe, SocialSphere, Inc.
When it comes to voting, do you consider yourself to be affiliated with the Democratic Party, the Republican Party, Moderate, or Unaffiliated with a major party?
Next year, in November of 2018, there will be a statewide general election for Governor and many other state offices. How likely is it that you will vote in this election?
Will you definitely be voting, will you probably be voting, are you 50-50...
Definitely be voting: 78%
Probably be voting: 13%
In general, would you say things in Rhode Island are headed in the right direction or are they off on the wrong track?
Right track: 39%
Wrong track: 45%
Don't know/Refused: .6%
What would you say is the number one problem facing Rhode Island that you would like the Governor to address?
Jobs and economy: 21%
State budget: 9%
Corruption/Public integrity: .8%
Don’t know: .9%
Over the past three years or so, would you say the economy in Rhode Island has improved, gotten worse, or not changed at all?
Changed for the better: 35%
Changed for the worse: 16%
Not changed at all: 43%
Don't know/Refused: 5%
Over the same time, has your family's financial situation improved, gotten worse, or not changed at all?
Changed for the better: 26%
Changed for the worse: 19%
Not changed at all: 54%
Don't know/Refused: 1%
Recently, a proposal has been made to permit the issuance of $81 million in bonds by the State to build a new stadium for the Pawtucket Red Sox. If there was an election today on this issue, would you vote to approve or reject issuing $81 million in financing supported moral obligation bonds to build the stadium?
Net: Approve: 28%
Definitely approve: 15%
Probably approve: 14%
Net: Reject: 67%
Probably reject: 19%
Definitely reject: 48%
Don't know: 4%
Could you please tell me your age?
Don't know/refused: 1%
What was the last grade you completed in school?
High school grad: 16%
Technical/Vocational school: 1%
Some college: 23%
College grad: 34%
Graduate degree: 24%
Don't know/refused: 1%
The next question is about the total income of YOUR HOUSEHOLD for the PAST 12 MONTHS. Please include your income PLUS the income of all members living in your household (including cohabiting partners and armed forces members living at home).
$50,000 or less: 27%
More $50,000 but less than $75,000: 13%
More $75,000 but less than $100,000: 13%
More $100,000 but less than $150,000: 17%
$150,000 or more: 13%
Don't know/refused: 17%
What particular ethnic group or nationality - such as English, French, Italian, Irish, Latino, Jewish, African American, and so forth - do you consider yourself a part of or feel closest to?
Black or African American: 6%
Would you say that Donald Trump has done an excellent good, fair or poor job as President?
Never heard of: 0%
Cannot rate: 3%
Would you say that Jack Reed has done an excellent good, fair or poor job as a United States Senator?
Never heard of: 6%
Cannot rate: 6%
Would you say that Sheldon Whitehouse has done an excellent good, fair or poor job as a United States Senator?
Never heard of: 6%
Cannot rate: 7%
Would you say that David Cicilline has done an excellent good, fair or poor job as a Member of Congress?
Never heard of: 6%
Cannot rate: 8%
Would you say that James Langevin has done an excellent good, fair or poor job as a Member of Congress?
Never heard of: 13%
Cannot rate: 11%
Would you say that Gina Raimondo has done an excellent good, fair or poor job as Governor?
Never heard of: 1%
Cannot rate: 3%
Would you say that Daniel McKee has done an excellent good, fair or poor job as Lieutenant Governor?
Never heard of: 26%
Cannot rate: 25%
Would you say that Peter Kilmartin has done an excellent good, fair or poor job as Attorney General?
Never heard of: 13%
Cannot rate: 19%
Would you say that Seth Magaziner has done an excellent good, fair or poor job as General Treasurer?
Never heard of: 21%
Cannot rate: 21%
Would you say that Nellie Gorbea has done an excellent good, fair or poor job as Secretary of State?
Never heard of: 20%
Cannot rate: 23%
- Despite Nearly $300M in Stadium Investments, PawSox’s League Sees Falling Attendance Past 10 Years
- Whitcomb: “30% Chance Trump’s Impeached, 50% Chance PawSox Proposal’s Approved”
- Upserve CEO Angus Davis Talks About PawSox Owners Demands and His Company’s Growth
- EDITORIAL: PawSox Owners Ask is Failed Community Leadership and Ultimate Greed
- PawSox Finally Unveil Financing Plan for New Stadium, $38M Windfall for Owners
- ABC6’s “In the Arena” - PawSox Proposal
- Robert Whitcomb: PawSox Play, Watergate Summer De Luxe
- Hey RI, We Want the PawSox in Worcester: Guest MINDSETTER™ Quist
- Providence Equity’s Salem May Join PawSox Ownership
- Sasse Asks Why Do the PawSox Owners Need Any Subsidy
- PawSox Unveil Locked-In Ticket Prices for First 5 Years in New Ballpark
- PawSox to Create Real Estate Arm “Prospect Development Group”
- Pawtucket Mayor Grebien Talks About the PawSox and Their Plans for a New Stadium
- PawSox Full Steam Ahead On New Stadium This Session
- Kane on Pawtucket’s Division St. Development - and Potential of PawSox to Move to Downtown
- Timeline of the PawSox and McCoy Stadium Controversy
- Another Year, Another PawSox Stadium Controversy
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Carlstrom: Abandon the Pawsox Pipe Dream
- PawSox Make Apex Site Push - Present and Former Owners Battle Over $6M in Hazardous Waste Clean-Up
- New PawSox Ballpark Would Mean 400+ Labor Jobs, Says RI Labor Leader Sabitoni
- Raimondo Calls PawSox $38 Million Ask a “Good Deal” for RI Taxpayers
- From the Circus to PawSox - Live Entertainment is Declining Industry: Guest MINDSETTER™ Rollins
- UPDATED: Senate President Ruggerio Says PawSox Deal is Dead for This Session
- Bishop: The Devil is in The Details - PawSox Park isn’t 38 Studios, But Just as Bad
- NEW: RI Building Trades Urge State Leaders To Support PawSox Deal
- Sasse Says RI Commerce Failed to Properly Review PawSox Deal
- PawSox Deal is in Chaos
- I Will Vote Against Current PawSox Deal: Guest MINDSETTER™ Sheehan
- PawSox Deal Looks Dead for 2017, Mattiello Raises Concerns
- Sen. Sheehan Discusses the Need for a New PawSox Deal on GoLocal LIVE
- Kinch Says PawSox Deal is a Threat to Pawtucket’s Finances
- On LIVE Thursday: Festival Ballet, Kinch on PawSox, and Dem’s McNamara & Much More
- ABC6’s “In the Arena” - Paolino Goes 1-On-1 with PawSox Consultant Rosentraub
- GoLocal Benchmark Poll: RIers Overwhelmingly Oppose Public Funding for the PawSox Stadium
- PawSox to Host Annual Open House & BallYard Sale at McCoy Stadium
- Facing Overwhelming Public Opposition for PawSox Deal, What is Next for Owners
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Stewart: Supporting PawSox Gentrification Efforts is Not Progressive
- PawSox Claim Potential New Stadium Must Be Pushed Back to 2021 at Earliest
- Tuesday on LIVE: Singer Gilman & Kinch on New PawSox Deal
- “PawSox Will End Up on Ballot, or Leave,” Says Former Pawtucket City Councilman Kinch
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Sheehan: New PawSox Proposal Still Falls Short of Public’s Approval
- Grebien Sounds the Alarm on PawSox on GoLocal LIVE
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Mathieu - Vote Them Out of Office if They Approve New PawSox Deal
- New PawSox Deal: Cost Spikes to $85M — 16% Increase UPDATED
- Top Union Leader Warns Time Is Running Out for a PawSox Deal
- Lucchino Says PawSox Have Identified Attleboro Site As Alternative to Apex Location in Pawtucket
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Sheehan: PawSox Deal Breaker