RI’s #3 School: Exeter-West Greenwich Senior High School
Monday, May 09, 2011
The secret? Improved NECAPs and SATs across the board. Most notable is the school's substantial uptick in Math scores, with 67% of their students above proficient, one of the highest math NECAP results in the state. Exeter-West Greenwich's writing NECAPs also improved dramatically to 69% above proficient, also among the highest numbers in RI. Add to that an investment per student of $16,778, second only to Narragansett High,
Culture of creativity
But outside the numbers, one of Exeter-West Greenwich's gold star programs has to be Knight Vision TV, the result of the school's Multimedia and Video Productions classes. With more than 10 themed "channels," Knight Vision produces a variety of programs including talk shows, creative pieces, documentaries and news shows. For some past headline-related talk show videos, go here.
Also a point of pride at Exeter-West Greenwich: both the Junior and Senior High School Bands, both award-winning. The Senior Band consistently places students in competitions and prides itself on the culture of involvement and quality. The EWG Concert Band recently returned from a trip to Washington DC, where it toured, met with the RI Congressional Delegation, and played a concert at the Naval Museum. The photo of the band on the steps of the Capitol, singed by Senator Jack Reed, now hangs in the band room.
Exeter-West Greenwich Senior High School at a Glance
Mascot: The Scarlet Knights
Notable Alums: none as of 2011
For a printable version of RI's Top High Schools 2012, with the full chart of rankings and summaries of key articles, Download PDF
- CHART: RI’s High Schools, from #1 to #51
- RI’s #6 School: Middletown High School
- RI’s Top High Schools 2011: How We Got the Rankings
- RI’s #7 School: Lincoln Senior High School
- RI’s Top High Schools 2011: Who Moved Up, Who Moved Down?
- RI’s #8 School: Toll Gate High School
- RI’s Top High Schools 2011: The Link Between Schools and Home Values
- RI’s #9 School: Westerly High School
- RI’s #1 School: East Greenwich High School
- RI’s #10 School: Classical High School
- RI’s #2 School: Narragansett High School
- Last Ranked: What Next for Mount Pleasant High School?
- RI’s #4 School: South Kingstown High School
- College Admissions: Why School Rankings May Help You Get Into a Better College
- RI’s #5 School: Barrington High School