11 to Watch in 2011: Deer Tick
Thursday, December 30, 2010
, Providence's home-grown Indie-folk phenoms are poised for real stardom in 2011, based on an incredible showing this year, including the release of their third album, The Black Dirt Sessions, a compilation with Jonny Corndawg, an appearance on Late Night With David Letterman, and a show at Austin's famed SXSW.
The band has garnered national attention for its sound that straddles folk, blues, and country, but has also put in performances that rock as hard as anyone. Renowned British music journalist and editor Allan Jones wrote in UNCUT Magazine that "Deer Tick noisily essayed the kind of rock 'n' roll you don’t hear these days as often as you’d maybe like, the sort that lights up everything around it like a burning house, and feel inclined therefore to
Not only does the band - John McCauley III (vocals, guitar), Andrew Tobiassen (guitar), Christopher Ryan (bass) and Dennis Ryan (drums) - call attention back to the local music scene that spawned it, it even represents on stage: McCauley was spotted last week wearing an Olneyville t-shirt designed by Frog & Toad's Asher Schofield while on stage at the End of the Road Festival in Dorset, UK.
This year, expect bigger things from Deer Tick, and John McCauley's new solo album and tour.
- Deer Tick Comes Home This Weekend
- 11 to Watch in 2011: Gordon Fox
- Providence Band Deer Tick on Letterman
- 11 to Watch in 2011: Keith Stokes
- Providence’s Own Deer Tick Announces Fall Tour
- 11 to Watch in 2011: Maryellen Butke
- 11 to Watch in 2011
- 11 to Watch in 2011: Peter Bramante
- 11 to Watch in 2011: Allan Fung
- 11 to Watch in 2011: RIverzEdge
- 11 to Watch in 2011: Betaspring Founders Allan Tear, Owen Johnson & Jack Templin
- 11 to Watch in 2011: Bob Walsh
- 11 to Watch in 2011: Curt Schilling