20 Ways to Keep From Going Insane This Winter in New England
Friday, January 25, 2019
And while the season is far from over, there is plenty of time to find some ways to have fun in the darkest days of the year.
To help avoid insanity and show that there is no need to hibernate, GoLocalProv.com has put together this slideshow of 20 ways to keep from going insane this winter in New England.
The list includes adventures like bowling, go-karting museums and much more.
Either way, winter is here to stay and if you want to get the most out of it, check out these 20 ways to keep from going insane this winter in New England!
See How to Keep From Going Insane This Winter in the Slideshow Below
Related Slideshow: 20 Ways to Keep From Going Insane This Winter in New England - 2019
Go Bowling at BreakTime Bowl and Bar
Go bowling at BreakTime Bowl and Bar at Hope Artiste Village.
"BreakTime is a retro 1920's themed duckpin bowling alley. Offering a nice selection of pub food and a fully stocked bar. Fun for all," writes BreakTime Bowl and Bar on their website.
Get a Workout in at Providence Fit Body Boot Camp
Don't let this cold weather keep you from getting in shape.
Head to Providence Fit Body Boot Camp and get in a good workout without having to worry about the heat.
Providence Fit Body Boot Camp writes, "Discover The Providence Fitness Boot Camp That Burns Twice The Fat, Gets You Fit And Challenges Your Body Every Time."
This Bed & Breakfast is located right in the historic district of Newport, Rhode Island. Each room is unique and complete with amenities like imported linens, spa showers and fireplaces. It’s just steps away from the Newport Cliff Walk, providing excellent views of the Atlantic. Don’t miss the seasonal gourmet breakfast!
Go to a Providence Escape Room
Can you escape?
Grab a group of friends or family members and head to Escape Rhode Island on Main Street in Providence.
Play Video Games at Battlegroundz
Pay One Price for four Hours Unlimited Play of Laser Tag, Splatmaster Paintball, Dart Warz, Knockerball®, Paintball, and Airsoft at Battlegroundz in Lincoln.
All fields and the restaurant are open starting at noon through 10 p.m. the rest of the week.
Play Mini Golf at Monster Mini Golf in Seekonk
Just over the border, Monster Mini Golf is a great way to beat the cold.
"Monster Mini Golf is a stimulating one-of-a-kind mini golf experience! Imagine 18 holes of glow-in-the-dark beaming blacklight mini golf surrounded by custom designed art and creative and animated props. We have combined wit, humor, and relatable pop-culture and history to create walls of artwork belonging to the town and state of the actual location," said the company on their website.
Hang Out at Riff Raff Bookstore and Bar
Grab a drink and a good book at Riff Raff in Providence.
"We specialize in diverse books from independent publishers + great cocktails," says Riff Raff on their Facebook page.
Riff Raff is located at 60 Valley Street in Providence.
Visit Flora in Winter at Worcester Art Museum
Leave the winter cold outside and treat yourself to color and fragrance during WAM's annual floral extravaganza when the entire Museum blooms with flower arrangements inspired by works of art.
The region's top floral designers interpret paintings, sculpture, and other works with imaginative arrangements that both dazzle and delight! Demonstrations, lectures, guided tours, and activities for children also take place throughout Flora in Winter.
Go Karting at R1 Indoor Karting Entertainment Center
The R1 Indoor Karting Entertainment Center recently opened in Lincoln showcasing fast electric karts with top technology.
The karts can go up to 45MPH but they are “smart” karts, so you work you way up to that speed.
R1 features a “Junior” track for ages 6-15 and an “Adult” track, both with four-speed levels. All karts are electric and powered by green technology.
Ice Skating at Worcester Common Oval
The ice rink at Worcester Common Oval is now open for skating.
Embrace the cold by lacing up your skates and get a couple of laps in.
Ice skating is available through February 24 on Fridays from 5 p.m. until 8 p.m. and Saturdays and Sundays from 1 p.m. until 6 p.m.
Home to over 80 penguins and plenty of other animals, the New England Aquarium features cool animals such as the African Penguin, American Lobster, Giant Pacific Octopus and more.
Be sure to check out the 3D exhibits as well as the other animals all over the aquarium.
Visit the Museum of Bad Art
3 Locations in Massachusetts
The Museum of Bad Art is the only museum in the world that is dedicated to showing off bad art in all of its forms. It includes more than 600 pieces of art, but do to limited space they only show 50 to 70 pieces at a time.
They have three locations, one at the Somerville Theatre, a second at Brookline Interactive Group and a third at the New England Wild Life Center in Weymouth.
Admission is FREE.
Virtual Reality Arcade at Providence Place
The Providence Place Mall now offers a Virtual Reality Arcade at the Showcase Cinema.
The cinema includes 10 games such as ping-pong, a speed-skating parkour fusion, a lighthearted “Job Simulator,” a supersized fruit ninja and more.
Bounce Around at Launch Trampoline Park
Launch Trampoline Park just opened their new location on Bald Hill Road in Warwick.
Whether you want to bring a group of children for the day, or sign up a group of adults for some "xtreme" dodgeball, trampoline parks can be a great change of pace and a fun way to try something new during this heat.
Visit the Newport Car Museum
Warm up and check out the many galleries at the Newport Car Museum.
Galleries include the "American Muscle Gallery," the "Ford/Shelby" Gallery, a "Fin Car Callery" and a "Corvette Gallery."
Visit the RISD Museum
The RISD Museum contains a broad range of works from around the world, including ancient Egypt, Asia, Africa, ancient Greece and Rome, Europe, and the Americas.
The RISD Museum houses over 86,000 works of art.
Go Sking or Snowboarding at Wachusett Mountain
Not everyone hates the frigid cold weather and if you are one of those people who love it, this is probably prime sking or snowboarding conditions at Wachusett Mountain
Spend Time at Biomes Marine Biology Center
North Kingstown, RI
Check out the cool Marine Biology Center in North Kingstown.
It is a great place for both adults and kids to enjoy.
"The Biomes Center is New England's only private marine education facility and the most hands-on aquarium in the region. We've been providing interactive marine biology programs for schools and families since 1989.
We specialize in teaching children and adults about the marine animals of Narragansett Bay and the Atlantic Ocean," writes Biomes on their website.
Keep the kids busy for hours on end by visiting the Boston Children's Museum.
The hours are 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday through Thursday and 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. on Fridays.
- 25 Ways to Keep From Going Insane This Winter in New England
- Winter Storm Watch: 12 Inches of Snow Possible in Providence on Thursday
- NEW: RIPTA Detours 8 Routes Due to Winter Storm
- LIVE: Providence Preservation Society Talks Restoration and Winter Bash
- Leonard Moorehead, The Urban Gardener: Winter Blooms
- 25 Things You Must Do in New England This Winter
- Cheat Sheet 50, FBI Files: Winter Hill Gang, Bonded Vault, Bevilacqua’s Relationship with Patriarca
- Operation Stand Down RI to Donate Coats & Winter Clothing to at Risk Veterans
- Newport Skating Center Set to Open for Full Winter Season
- Rhode Island Homeless Families Living Constantly in Crisis Mode Especially in Winter
- RI State Police Offer Winter Weather Driving Tips
- LIVE: TV Guide’s Zalben on What To Watch This Winter
- Winter Storm Watch: Up to 7 Inches of Snow Possible in RI on Thursday
- RIPTA to Detour 16 Routes Due to Winter Storm
- Above Normal Snowfall Projected for Upcoming Winter in Northeast
- LIVE: U.S. Olympian Hamlin on Historic Career & 2018 Winter Games
- 25 Things You Must Do This Winter in New England
- Volness Talks about Winter Warmer, New Music Concert with Verdant Vibes on LIVE
- LIVE: Must-Have Men’s Fashion for Winter From Blueprint 5
- LIVE: Picking The Perfect Winter Jacket With Personal Stylist Marinelli
- Providence Winter Lights Market & Tree Lighting Set for This Weekend
- LIVE: Olympian Shuster Talks About Making U.S. Curling History & 2018 Winter Games
- Winter Weather Advisory for Monday—National Weather Service Says 1-3 Inches
- Blueprint 5’s Fortier Talks Winter Fashion on LIVE
- Blueprint 5’s Fortier Talks Men’s Winter Fashion and Trends on LIVE
- United Way CEO Nicolato Talks Launch of 2018 Program For Winter Heating Bill Support on LIVE
- Winter Storm Warning: Up to 10 Inches of Snow Possible in RI on Wednesday
- Ghiorse: Winter Storm Update - Tuesday PM
- 25 Winter Weather Tips
- 10 Things You Need to Know About This Winter Storm
- NEW: Winter Storm Watch Issued for RI Starting Wednesday, Up to 11 Inches of Snow Possible
- Winter Storm Warning: Up to 14 Inches of Snow Possible in RI Starting Wednesday
- CVB Annual Meeting Honorees and Winter Tourism on LIVE
- Winter Weather Advisory Issued for RI Beginning at 4 p.m.
- 15 New England Winter Getaways
- Pawtucket Wintertime Farmers Market On LIVE
- LIVE: RI Blogger’s Geaber Talks Winter Activities and NYE
- Our Environment: “The Beauty of Winter Gray” By Scott Turner
- Newport Art Museum Announces Winter Speaker Series Guests
- Smart Benefits: Reduce Winter Weather Workplace Risks
- 20 Reasons to Look Forward to Winter in New England