Westerly Chamber Boss Asks Commerce’s Wall and Pryor to Put Westerly in RI’s Tourism Video
Saturday, April 02, 2016
An email from Konicki to Commerce’s Stefan Pryor and Betsy Wall pointed out that Iceland was in the video and Westerly was not. “Please replace the footage of the skateboarder in Iceland with video footage of our beautiful Westerly beaches. The beaches are conspicuously missing from the promotional video yet we have the most incredible beaches on the East Coast,” wrote Konicki.
Boston Globe just recognized Misquamicut Beach as one of the 10 best in the nation today. Other than a quick shot of our downtown wayfinding signs, Westerly in missing from the video.”
Konicki heads the “Ocean Community Chamber of Commerce," which the Westerly Chamber of Commerce was renamed in 2015 “to better represent the geographic area served, be more inclusive, and to be less cumbersome.”
This is just the latest in errors tied to the launch of the state of Rhode Island's tourism campaign. From film footage of Iceland, to questionable $400,000 logos, to more than 100 errors on the website, to use of out of state contractors -- some without being selected through a public process -- the campaign and its leadership are under tremendous public ridicule.
It seems impossible that Westerly’s beaches and the iconic flying horse carousel, which has been located in Watch Hill since 1879 and is on the list of the National Historic Landmarks, were left out. According to the Department of the Interior, Rhode Island has just under two percent of all of America’s federally designated historic landmarks.
Konicki in her email does congratulate Commerce in that the errors in the tourism campaign has gotten Rhode Island lots of attention on CNN and HuffPost.
Related Slideshow: Tourism Logos For All 50 States (and D.C.)
- UPDATED: “We Are RI” Tourism Video Taken Down by Commerce
- The Tourism Logos of all 50 States
- Tour Taylor Swift’s $17.75M RI Mansion in Watch Hill
- Ocean House Named #4 Resort in the US—Travel + Leisure
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Harry Adler: Dear Governor Raimondo
- NEW: Ocean House Named 5-Diamond Resort by AAA
- Taylor Swift Buys Watch Hill Mansion… With $17M Cash
- Rhode Island’s Ocean House Named Top 10 Hotel in US
- NEW: RI’s Ocean House Named One of Top 100 Brunch Spots in U.S.
- Watch Hill’s Ocean House Named #5 Top Resort in the World By Travel+Leisure
- 10 More Great Houses In RI for Taylor Swift
- Saul Kaplan: Innovation Lessons From Taylor Swift
- Travel + Leisure Names RI’s Ocean House + Weekapaug Inn Tops in US
- Ocean House Named to Conde Nast Traveler’s Gold List
- Taylor Swift: 13 Who Made a Difference in RI in 2013
- RI Tourism Campaign in Chaos
- Five Things: Seasons at Ocean House, Watch Hill
- Raimondo’s Out-of-State Contracts Extend Beyond Tourism
- WaterFire Wins First RI Arts in Tourism Award
- EDITORIAL: Raimondo’s “I Know an Out-of-State Guy” Caused the Tourism Disaster
- GoLocal Secures Copy of Deleted RI Tourism Video
- Would RI Tourism Account Be an Economic Spark?
- Will a Rhode Island Firm Win the $5 Million Tourism Campaign?
- RI Commerce Picks 2 Out-of-State-Firms to Brand and Promote RI Tourism