New Nonprofit Law Center to Aid Low Income RI Residents
Thursday, April 09, 2015
The Center for Justice is a new nonprofit public interest law center that will address the growing volume of unmet legal needs among vulnerable individuals, families and communities in Rhode Island.
"While Rhode Islanders have suffered some of the most dramatic economic hardships of the past decade, there is a glaring lack of access to civil legal services for those who struggle with the dire consequences of poverty such as homelessness, health impairment exacerbated by environmental factors, and predatory employment and consumer practices. The Center for Justice will be a voice for those who would often otherwise be without qualified legal assistance," said Miriam Weizenbaum.
Attendees to the event included Center for Justice representatives Miriam Weizenbaum, Bud DeLuca and Robert McCreanor.
Roger Williams President Donald Farish and Law Dean Michael Yelnosky along with Rhode Island Supreme Court Chief Justice Paul Suttell.
Secretary of State Nellie Gorbea, General Treasurer Seth Magaziner and Central Falls Mayor James Diossa were also in attendance.
“The Rhode Island Center for Justice represents a desperately needed source of legal assistance for low-income Rhode Islanders,” said Melissa Husband, executive director of the Community Action Partnership of Providence.
- GIMP Dance Project Appearing Tonight at Roger Williams University
- Roger Williams U. Appoints Interim President
- President of Roger Williams University Resigns Suddenly
- First Lego League Championships at Roger Williams University
- NEW: HousingWorks RI Relocates to Roger Williams University, Providence Campus
- Elorza Refuses to Disclose Terms of Leave from Roger Williams University
- Roger Williams University Prov Campus Hosts Open House
- NEW: Harvard Law Professor Lessig to Give Talk at Roger Williams University
- Nellie Gorbea is Democratic Primary Winner for Secretary of State
- Gorbea Launches First TV Ad for RI Secretary of State
- Central Falls Democrats Endorse Gorbea for Secretary of State
- The Scoop: Michelle Obama’s Raimondo Video Message, Gorbea’s New Ad, and More
- Nellie Gorbea Wins - First Latina Elected to Statewide Office
- Nellie Gorbea:14 Who Made a Difference in RI in 2014
- Carol Anne Costa: Gorbea is Pitch Perfect
- Gorbea Announces Transition Team
- NEW: RI Sec. of State Gorbea Releases “Restart Rhode Island” Report
- Marie Langlois and Phil Keefe: Seth Magaziner is the Right Choice for Treasurer
- Seth Magaziner Wins Democratic Primary for General Treasurer
- The Scoop: Block Endorses Fung; Elorza, Almonte, Magaziner Pick up Endorsements, and More
- The Scoop: Fung Confirms Christie RI Visit, Almonte Blasts Magaziner on Disclosure, and More
- Riley: Caprio Track Record Good, Seth Magaziner Claims Questioned
- NEW: Roberts Endorses Magaziner for RI General Treasurer
- Magaziner Announces for RI General Treasurer with YouTube Video
- NEW: Ira Magaziner to Deliver Health Reform Lecture at Brown
- Seth Magaziner Appoints Business Advisory Group