Former Mayor Taveras, Providence City Solicitor Get Speed Camera Tickets
Thursday, April 19, 2018
Former Mayor Angel Taveras, and current City Solicitor Jeff Dana are among the thousands of Rhode Islanders who have gotten one of the $ 95speed camera tickets, now under legal review.
"I can confirm that former Mayor Angel Taveras did state in public, before Judge McConnell in Federal Court, that he and current City Solicitor Jeff Dana each received a speed camera ticket," said attorney Peter Wasylyk on Wednesday.
As GoLocal reported on April 11:
Attorney Peter Petrarca appeared on GoLocal LIVE just hours after a federal court hearing. Petrarca spoke about going before District Judge John J. McConnell. He had sought a temporary restraining order issuance of speed camera tickets. GoLocal was first to report that a class action lawsuit had filed in late March following the rollout of the controversial program.
"The judge decided not to issue a temporary restraining order, however in his preliminary discussion he found...the summonses were defective," said Petrarca.
"So we feel it's a win, that's what we've been saying," Petrarca told GoLocal News Editor Kate Nagle. "Now he's ordered us to mediation to try and get a settlement."
Watch the segment below:
Related Slideshow: Providence Speed Cameras Defaced.
Photo credits: Anthony Sionni
- Whitcomb on Matt Brown’s Return to RI Politics, Providence Speed Cameras, & Trump Tariffs
- Judge Caprio Expects Speed Camera Tickets to “Go Up” in Providence
- 6 Additional Portable Speed Cameras to be Placed Throughout School Zones in Prov
- Providence Speed Cameras Defaced with Graffiti
- EDITORIAL: Elorza’s Speed Camera Tax — Government At Its Worst
- Video Shows Providence Speed Camera Being Defaced
- “Speed Cameras” Are Top Issue for Voters in Providence, Says Vargas on LIVE
- McKee Criticizes Elorza on Speed Cameras Following Regunberg Endorsement
- Whitcomb: More Speed Cameras Please; Trading Away Allies; Memories of the New Haven
- Providence Abuse of Speed Cameras Has State Legislators Pushing for Repeal
- “Getting People Their Money Back” is Goal, Says Attorney Petrarca on Prov Speed Camera Battle