Artist Janie Geiser to Showcase Film at FirstWorks April 10
Wednesday, April 09, 2014
Events open to the public include:
- “The Nervous Films” screening and Artist-Up-Close conversation: Thursday, April 10, 7:00pm at RISD Chace Center, Michael P. Metcalf Auditorium, 20 North Main Street, Providence, RI. Tickets: $5 in advance / $10 at the door. Reserve online at http://www.first- works.org or call 401-421-4281.
- Free public showing of short scenes from “Fugitive Time”, a new work-in-progress co-commissioned by FirstWorks and the Museum of Modern Art, Santa Barbara. Saturday, April 12, 7:30pm at Brown University Granoff Center for the Creative Arts, 154 Angell Street, Providence, RI.
One of the pioneers of the renaissance of American avant-garde object performance, the Los Angeles-based artist Janie Geiser creates innovative, hypnotic works that merge puppetry, film/video and performance. Geiser’s work is known for its strength of design and its investigation of the emotional power of inanimate objects. Geiser has been recognized with a Guggenheim Fellowship, as well as funding from the National Endowment for the Arts, the Rockefeller Foundation, the Henson Foundation, Creative Capital, the Center for Cultural Innovation and others. Geiser’s films have been shown at the Whitney Museum of American Art, the Guggenheim Museum, and the Museum of Modern Art (where they are a part of the Museum’s permanent collection).
Janie Geiser’s newest work-in-progress, “Fugitive Time”, is a multidisciplinary performance that integrates performed objects and puppetry with live-feed video manipulations of found, constructed, and collaged elements to form an integrated live “film-performance”. Using bunraku–inspired puppets, cutouts, shadow puppets, and video, the work will explore the tension between the miniature and the magnified, the landscape and the body. Drawing from stories of Los Angeles city planning, TB (Tuberculosis) patient narratives, and medical illustrations, “Fugitive Time” centers on landscape and the body—both become the location of narrative, memory, erasure, history and loss.
FirstWorks is a non-profit arts organization that builds the cultural, educational, and economic vitality of our community through world-class performing arts and education programs. Since 2004, FirstWorks has offered Rhode Islanders access to some of the most exciting artists of our time including Yo-Yo Ma & the Silk Road Ensemble, Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater, Wynton Marsalis, Joffrey Ballet, and the master artists of Pakistan through the Caravanserai project (2011-12).
For more information about FirstWorks and the ongoing Geiser event, click here.
Related Slideshow: 10 Great Activities for $20 or Less
Introduce yourself to the Providence art scene by exploring Providence’s Gallery Night. Every third Thursday of the month from March to November, galleries in Providence open their doors so you can enjoy everything from contemporary art to one-of-a-kind pieces. Guided tours start at One Regency Plaza at 5:20 and leave every 20 minutes. The best part? The bus tours are free. For more information, click here.
Gallery Night: One Regency Plaza, Providence, RI, 02903
Weirdgirl Creations Pottery Studio
Feeling artsy? Get your creative juices flowing at Weirdgirl Pottery studio. There is no need for an appointment, just stop in and start painting. The prices of the ceramics start at $8 and there is no sitting fee or hourly fee. For more information, click here.
Weirdgirl Creations Pottery Studio: 33 Kent Street, Suite B, Barrington, RI, 02806
Sky Zone is an indoor trampoline park that allows you to have hours of fun while exercising in a unique way. The trampolines reach from one edge of the floor to the other and angled trampolines allow you to literally bounce off walls. Prices range from $9 for a thirty minute jump pass to $20 for 120 minutes. For more information, click here.
Sky Zone: 70 Pawtucket Ave, East Providence, RI, 02916
Lupo’s Heartbreak Hotel
If you are looking to enjoy live music but do not want to dip into your savings account for concert tickets, check out all of the different shows that Lupo’s has to offer. The shows at Lupo’s are constantly changing and there are plenty of tickets for $20 when bought in advance. For a list of upcoming events, click here.
Lupo’s Heartbreak Hotel: 79-81 Washington Street, Providence, RI, 02903
If you think you can’t eat on Federal Hill for less than $20…you are wrong. Cassarino’s serves some of the most delicious Italian food in all of Providence and now you can enjoy a great meal for less when you order off of Cassarino’s lunch menu. Lunch is served Monday- Friday from 11:30am until 3:00pm. Don’t miss the chance to get chicken parmesan for $8.85 or filet mignon for $16.95. For more information, click here.
Cassarino’s: 177 Atwells Avenue, Providence, RI, 02903
Located on Providence’s Thayer Street, the Avon Cinema is known for showing independent and foreign films. Tickets are only $10.50 or $8.50 for matinee shows. Check out their website to see what movies are playing and get ready to have a unique movie experience. For more information visit, click here.
Avon Cinema: 260 Thayer Street, Providence, RI, 02906
The Providence Athenaeum
The Providence Athenaeum is an independent library located on Providence’s Benefit Street. This library, founded in 1836, has welcomed many illustrious visitors throughout the years including Edgar Allen Poe. The library is open to the public and many of their programs are free. Check out their website for upcoming programs.
The Providence Athenaeum: 251 Benefit Street, Providence, RI, 02903
Roger Williams Park Botanical Center
The Botanical Center at Roger Williams Park is home to the largest indoor display gardens in New England. The Botanical Center includes two greenhouses with over 150 different species of plants. The Center is open Tuesday- Sunday from 11:00am -4:00pm and admission is only $3 for adults and $1 for children. For more information, click here.
Roger Williams Park Botanical Center: 1000 Elmwood Avenue, Providence, RI, 02905
Though Waterfire doesn’t start this season until the end of May, Waterfire is one of Providence’s most popular and cultural events. It is also free. So when the weather gets warmer make sure you see the bonfires glowing at Waterplace Park. For more information, click here.
Waterfire Providence: 100 Canal Walk, Waterplace Park, Providence, RI, 02903
Not only are the swan boats a Boston tradition, but a ride is only $3 for adults and $1.50 for children (ages 2-15) making the boats a perfect activity for those on a budget. Rides take place on the waters of the Boston Public Garden and mark the beginning of spring. Rides are available seven days a week weather permitting. For more information, click here.
Swan Boats: 4 Charles Street, Boston, MA, 02116
- 5 Weekend Musts: Bobby McFerrin at FirstWorks + More
- FirstWorks Takes Over Kennedy Plaza Sept. 29
- Martha Redbone To Kick Off FirstWorks 10th Anniversary
- Wynton Marsalis, Joffrey Ballet Coming to FirstWorks Providence
- Bill T. Jones Coming to FirstWorks
- FirstWorks to Feature AILEY II Workshops, Performances
- NEW: FirstWorks Lands International Islamic Arts Program
- Dan Lawlor: FirstWorks Festival Made Providence a Classy City
- Gare St Lazare Brings Beckett to Dark, Comic Life at FirstWorks
- NEW: FirstWorks’ “Your Story/In 140” Twitter Contest
- Don’t Miss: FirstWorks’ “Riot At The Rite” Film + Panel March 14
- Hot String Quartet Brooklyn Rider Coming to FirstWorks
- Pianist Christopher O’Riley at FirstWorks
- FirstWorks 2013-14 Season Brings World-Class Artists To Rhode Island
- Jamie Jewett’s “Blinking” at FirstWorks
- Pilobolus Opens FirstWorks Festival September 25
- FirstWorks Announces 2011 Festival Schedule
- Jamie Jewett’s “Seven Veils” World Premiere Coming to FirstWorks
- Review: “Blinking” at FirstWorks
- FirstWorks Announces 7th Season to Run Sept 25-Nov 13
- La Excelencia Brings Hot Salsa to FirstWorks
- Review: Pilobolus Opens FirstWorks Festival
- FirstWorks Festival Line-up Announced
- Laurie Anderson Returns to Providence for FirstWorks
- Sweet Honey in the Rock Coming to FirstWorks