NEW: Newport Hospital One of Most “Baby-Friendly” Worldwide
Friday, January 31, 2014
UNICEF and the WHO designate those hospitals as "Baby-Friendly" that maintain an optimal level of care for breastfeeding and mother/child bonding. Newport Hospital earned the designation by maintaining a stringent set of criteria designed to promote infant health, especially educating and encouraging new mothers when it comes to breastfeeding.
Newport Hospital first received the WHO's honor in 2003, when they were one of only 40 hospitals in the U.S. to qualify. The hospital was pleased to once again be recognized. "Earning this re-designation was truly a team effort and is something all of us in the birthing center are committed to each and every day," said Debra Venancio, R.N., who is manager of maternal and child health at Newport Hospital. "Being recognized as Baby-Friendly means our mom and their families know that we maintain an environment that promotes, protects and supports breastfeeding."
For more information about Newport Hospital's Noreen Stonor Drexel Birthing Center, in addition to its classes and support groups, visit their website, www.newporthospital.org/birthing-center.
Check Out The Grades: Rhode Island Hospitals Report Card
A recent survey released by The Leapfrog Group assigns a Hospital Safety Score, using the report card system of A to F to each of the hospitals in Rhode Island. These grades are based on expert analysis of injuries, infections and errors that cause harm or death during a hospital stay.
Let's see how each of Rhode Island's hospitals were graded from highest to lowest:
- 13 Biggest Healthcare Stories in RI in 2013
- Fit for Life: Do You Have to Be Wealthy to Be Healthy?
- Chafee’s Budget: Healthcare and Social Services
- Guest MINDSETTER Dr. Michael Fine: 14 Ways to Stay Healthy in ‘14
- Healthy Meals to Cook at Home - Artichoke and Lemon Spread
- HEALTH Organizes Community Clinics for Influenza Immunization
- Healthy Meals to Cook at Home - Sweet Potato Macadamia
- Healthy Meals to Cook at Home: Kale + Farro Chicken Salad
- Healthy Meals to Cook at Home: Eggplant Caponata
- Healthy Meals to Cook at Home: Shrimp Primavera
- Lt. Gov. Roberts Announces State Health Care Innovation Plan
- NEW: HEALTH Declares Flu Widespread in RI
- Julia Steiny: It Takes Guts to Depict a Happy, Healthy Childhood
- NEW: HealthSource RI Issues Enrollment Deadline Updates
- NEW: Spike in Drug Overdose Deaths Reported by HEALTH
- RI Ranked 19th Healthiest State in Nation, Last in New England
- Smart Benefits: Next Steps in Healthcare Reform for Employers
- Smart Benefits: Consumer Engagement is Key to Better Healthcare
- Smart Benefits: Make the Most of Your Health Plan in 2014
- Sheri Griffin: A Home-Grown Approach to Health
- The Healthiest States in New England