Guest MINDSETTER™ Lambrese: Opioid addicts deserve dignity, not death
Wednesday, January 04, 2017
Fear of withdrawal symptoms (anxiety, insomnia, vomiting, extreme diarrhea, etc.) is what drives them to continue their drug-seeking habit. We treated a construction worker patient with limited on-the-job bathroom access, for example. Symptoms can make it impossible to work and can last for months which often leads to relapse.
According to the RI Department of Health, in 2015, nearly 300 Rhode Islanders lost their lives to overdose, and that number is increasing – especially those involving fentanyl, a highly potent opioid often laced in heroin – and deadlier than heroin. Suboxone treatment is essential to help patients get their lives back and to decrease unnecessary deaths.
Dead addicts don’t recover. That’s the harsh reality. No one should feel ashamed to get help, and opioid dependence should not be stigmatized. We need to guide patients to make well-informed decisions about where they choose to get their care.
My outpatient-based physician practice focuses on the utmost privacy, most flexible hours, best access to care, and the dignity patients deserve. It’s difficult enough to take that first step to recovery; let’s resolve in the New Year to do what we can to break the cycle of addiction before more lives are lost in 2017.
Kelly Lambrese, RN, BSN, is the Founder and President of Recovery Resource in East Providence.
Related Slideshow: Rhode Island Doctors Getting the Most Drug Company Money
Doctor: J Easton
Specialty: Psychiatry & Neurology
Location: Providence, RI
Amount Paid: $117,000
Payments Exceeding $5,000 From: Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation, AstraZeneca Pharmaceuticals LP, Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals Inc, Novartis Pharma AG, and Sanofi-Aventis U.S. LLC
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Tattrie: Smiley’s Trump Diatribe Has Consequences
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Sen. Elaine Morgan: Playing Politics
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Sen. DiPalma: RI Needs to Stay Proactive in Targeted Investments in Education
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Leos: This Hispanic Heritage Month Brings Lessons for Everyone
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Sen. Sheehan: Vote Yes on Question 2
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Rep. Canario: Reverse The Urban Growth Smart Tax Credits
- Guest MINDSETTER™ VanderWeele: The I-195 Land - Subdivide & Conquer
- Guest Mindsetter™ Pimentel: Immigration, Driver’s Licenses and the Fight for Civil Rights
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Steve Laffey: Providence Leaders Need Reality Check
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Kerrie Johnson: Please Consider Voting for My Dad
- Guest Mindsetter™ Heller: Being Catholic Means Accepting All Teachings of the Church
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Girouard: How Well Have Our Incumbents Led?
- Guest MINDSETTER™Tammaro: Qatar Airways Has No Place in Boston
- The Tweeter in Chief - Geoffrey A. Schoos, Guest MINDSETTER™
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Stenhouse: DeVos as Sec. of Education - National School Choice Around Corner
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Morse: The Station & The Ghost Ship
- Guest MINDSETTERS™ Sen. Miller & Rep. Slater: RI Should Regulate Marijuana
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Forleo: Festivus For The Rest of Us
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Rep. Shekarchi: The True Nature of Study Commissions
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Sen. Metts: Post-Election Thoughts at Thanksgiving
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Gardiner: Measure President Trump by Healthcare Reform
- Commerce RI is Launching a Big Program to Boost Small Biz, Guest MINDSETTER Early
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Taub: I am Jewish & I Support Mr. Bannon
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Rep. Costa: Post Election Suggestions for Disgruntled Americans
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Rep. Nunes: General Assembly Needs a Cinderella Rule, and More