VIDEO: Special Olympics RI Athletes Depart from T.F. Green for 2019 World Games in Abu Dhabi
Wednesday, March 06, 2019
Members of the Special Olympics USA delegation from Rhode Island departed from T.F. Green Airport on Wednesday, March 6 for the Special Olympics USA Send-Off in Newark, New Jersey before reaching their ultimate destination in Abu Dhabi for the Special Olympics World Games 2019.
SEE VIDEO BELOW
Representing Special Olympics Rhode Island at the World Games are Special Olympics Rhode Island Athlete Scott Davis from Cranston along with Special Olympics Rhode Island Unified Partner Adam Johnson from Warwick in Bowling, as well as Casie Rhodes from East Greenwich, who is the Special Olympics Rhode Island Director of Training and will serve as the Head Sports Manager for Basketball, Table Tennis, and Volleyball.
"This will be the trip of a lifetime," said Davis on Wednesday at the airport. "I'm not leaving until I ride a camel."
MORE BELOW VIDEO
Special Olympics USA is comprised of 215 athletes, 65 coaches and approximately 34 delegation members who support team operations. Team members will compete in 18 of the 24 sports offered: athletics, basketball, bocce, bowling, cycling, equestrian, football (soccer), golf, gymnastics - artistic, gymnastics - rhythmic, open water swimming, powerlifting, sailing, swimming, table tennis, tennis, triathlon, and volleyball.
The delegation also includes Special Olympics Unified Sports® teams, where people with and without intellectual disabilities compete together, as teammates. Special Olympics USA will have representation in the following Unified Sports: basketball, bocce, bowling, golf, sailing, soccer, table tennis, tennis, and volleyball.
- Special Olympics RI Holiday Auction Open for Bidding
- 40th Annual Penguin Plunge Benefiting Special Olympics RI Set for New Year’s Day
- Special Olympics of RI Set for State Summer Games This Weekend
- Special Olympics Starts Holiday Auction on Sunday, December 7
- RI Special Olympics’ 17th Annual Christmas Online Auction
- Salve to Host 30th Annual East Bay Special Olympics
- Dunkin’ Donuts Gives Big to Special Olympics RI
- LIVE: “We’re Not Just A Team, We’re a Family” Miller Preps for Special Olympics RI Summer Games
- Rep. Winfield to be Honored by Special Olympics RI
- Billy Gilman to Headline Special Olympics RI’s Opening Ceremony
- LIVE: Special Olympics’ DeJesus on 50th Anniversary Celebration
- LIVE: Cummings Takes Super Plunge, Raising Awareness For Special Olympics RI
- LIVE: Special Olympics RI’s Powers On Ending Use Of The R-Word
- Special Olympics 2017 State Summer Games to Host Over 1,500 Athletes
- Monday on LIVE: Vassar’s Prof. Mills, Special Olympics RI’s Powers & Business Monday
- Special Olympics’ RI DeJesus on 50th Anniversary Gala on LIVE