Patriots Sign 8 Players to Practice Squad
Tuesday, September 06, 2016
ew England Patriots signed 8 players to the practice squad including OL Chris Barker, OL Clay DeBord (duh-BOARD), DL Geneo Grissom, DL Woodrow Hamilton, LBRufus Johnson, WR Devin Lucien, RB Bishop Sankey and WR Devin Street.
One of the most notable names on the list is running back Bishop Sankey.
Sankey was drafted in the 2nd round of the 2014 NFL Draft by the Tennessee Titans.
In two seasons, Sankey played 29 games, 12 of which he started, and finished with 199 rushing attempts for 762 yards and three touchdowns. He also had 32 catches for 272 yards and one touchdown.
Sankey was released by the Titans on September 2, 2016.
DeBord and Street are two other players who were previously not on the Patriots roster during training camp.
DeBord was signed by the Arizona Cardinals as a rookie free agent from Eastern Washington on May 2, 2016. He was released by the Cardinals on August 29, 2016. During his college career, he made 51 starts at left tackle.
Street has been in the NFL for two seasons with the Dallas Cowboys. In his two seasons, Street has played 31 games with 2 starts and has 9 catches for 132 yards and one touchdown.
The Patriots open the regular season on Sunday, September 11 against the Arizona Cardinals.
Kick off is set for 8:30 p.m.
Related Slideshow: 5 Takeaways From the Patriots 17-9 Preseason Loss to the Giants
Eli Manning and most of the Giants regulars did not play in this game and so the Patriots first team defense was going up against the back up unit for New York. The Patriots D was dominant, which they were supposed to be.
New York's Victor Cruz did play a series and was matchup up against Malcolm Butler. Giants QB Ryan Nassib test Butler in the first series of the game and Butler was in perfect position to break up the pass.
Other than that, the Pats defense forced 3 fumbles and had an interception in the game.
New England will need to rely on their defense in the first four games of the season.
To the surprise of many, Tom Brady played and played the entire first half of the game.
"I'm happy I was able to play as much as I did. Coach and I talked about it and it was a good opportunity to get out there and play," said Brady after the game.
Brady finished the half 16 of 29 for 166 yards with a touchdown and interception.
His touchdown pass came near the end of the first quarter when Brady scrambled to his right and found a wide open Keshawn Martin for the score.
Brady's interception also came in the first quarter on a pass to Aaron Dobson over the middle.
Dobson was not the most aggressive going for the ball and allowed New York's Trevin Wade to get position and take the ball from him.
Brady will make his next start in October as his 4 game suspension begins on Saturday.
Jacoby Brissett played the entire second half and went 13 of 21 for 152 yards in the half.
Brissett started out hot, hitting his first three passes that he made before throwing his first incomplete pass in 17 attempts, dating back to the last preseason game.
Throughout camp and the preseason games Brissett has shown the ability to move the ball down the field and make plays with his feet. He did it again in this game, running for a first down in the 4th quarter and and hitting on passes up the field to tight end A.J. Derby.
Where Brissett, and Garoppolo at times, get hurt is they hold onto the ball too long and in this game, Brissett took a sack and a big hit because of that.
As of now, Brissett is the man if anything happens to Garoppolo in the first four games so him being able to play the entire first half could serve as important reps.
Harbor vs Derby
The final cut down day is on Saturday when rosters must be down to 53 and it has been an interesting battle between tight ends AJ Derby and Clay Harbor for that 3rd tight end spot.
Derby is more of a pass catching tight end like Gronkowski while Harbor has mostly been used as a blocker throughout his career. Both of those things have played themselves out.
In this particular game, Derby had 5 catches for 51 yards while Harbor made several blocks to help spring running backs and receivers.
If Derby does not make the team, he will likely be on the practice squad.
Recently acquired from the Cleveland Browns, Mingo made his Patriots debut against the Giants and he was very noticeable.
"He lived in the facility for the last week. He didn't go back to Cleveland, he came from Tampa where they were practicing, went to Carolina and came back with us. The players had an off day and (he) spent the whole day in the facility with the coaches going through the material to get caught up," said Belichick after the game.
Playing most of the game, the former 6th overall pick was moved around from that traditional linebacker position to playing on the edge.
Mingo had 5 tackles and 2 quarterback hurries in the game and on one of those tackles he forced a fumble which the Patriots recovered. The forced fumble came on a chase down play where Giants QB Ryan Nassib (Manning did not play) scrambled and Mingo was able to catch him and force the fumble.
Mingo will have a roster spot, its just a matter of how and when the Patriots use him.
- Brown Grad Develin on Road Back for Patriots Following Broken Leg in 2015
- Faulk Goes Into Patriots Hall of Fame, Brady Makes Surprise Appearance
- Edelman’s Return Highlights Day 9 Action at Patriots Training Camp
- 5 Things to Watch for In Tonight’s Patriots Preseason Game
- 5 Takeaways From the Patriots 34-22 Preseason Win Over New Orleans
- 5 Takeaways From Patriots Training Camp - July 30, 2016
- Patriots Ranked as 2nd Most Unlikable Team in NFL
- Patriots Make a Trade, Add 4 Players in Rounds 2 & 3 of NFL Draft
- Patriots Receiver Danny Amendola Restructures Contract
- NEW: Kevin Faulk to be Inducted Into Patriots Hall of Fame
- Patriots Fans Ranked Best in the NFL
- What to Watch For: Bears vs. Patriots Preseason Game 2
- 5 Takeaways From the Patriots 23-22 Preseason Win Over Chicago
- Patriots Cut Roster to 75 Players
- Patriots Cut Veteran Defensive Tackle Terrance Knighton
- What to Watch For: Patriots vs. Giants Preseason Game 4
- 5 Takeaways From the Patriots 17-9 Preseason Loss to the Giants
- Patriots’ Ninkovich Suspended 4 Games for Use of Banned Substance
- 5 Takeaways From the Patriots 19-17 Preseason Win Over Carolina
- What to Watch For: Patriots vs. Panthers Preseason Game
- Inside the Numbers: Dion Lewis & the Patriots Offense
- Patriots Release Wide Receiver Nate Washington
- Patriots Trade Center Bryan Stork to Washington for Draft Pick
- NEW: Patriots Acquire Linebacker Barkevious Mingo From Cleveland
- Patriots Cut Dobson, 19 Others to Get to 53-Man Roster