Witman Refuses to Disclose Key Appointees, If Elected Providence Mayor
Monday, October 22, 2018
About schools, Witman said, “Teachers have been without a contract for 2 years. No teacher contract means teachers don’t come to school early or leave late; they don’t staff open houses; and they don’t volunteer for any activities that are outside their expired contract.”
Witman declined to say if she would retain existing Superintendent Chris Maher. He was appointed interim Superintendent in April 2015 and was given the position permanently in June 2016.
Witman has been endorsed by former interim Superintendent of Providence Public Schools Bob DeRobbio. He challenged Elorza in the 2018 Democratic primary and finished third.
Shortly after the primary loss, De Robbio endorsed Witman.
“I’ve never had any discussions with Bob other than his support of my campaign. However, he has years of experience and I would listen to what he has to say,” said Witman in an email to GoLocalProv on Sunday.
According to Witman's website, “Providence Police Union says administration “put us on the back burner.” If the current administration doesn’t respect the police officers that risk their lives on a daily basis, why should city residents.”
Again, Witman won’t disclose the fate of Public Safety Commissioner Steve Pare or Providence Police Chief Hugh Clements under a Witman administration.
The Providence police union endorsed Witman.
“I have spoken to numerous and highly qualified individuals who have expressed interest in joining my administration in senior capacities. It would be inappropriate for me to disclose their identities as they are presently employed,” said Witman on Sunday.
“As I have always said I can assure you that my administration will be comprised of youth and energy as well as gray hair and experience. Most of all the administration will reflect the demographic of the City. If you require anything further other than their identities please don't hesitate to contact me,” she added.
all of Elorza’s top appointees were comprised of only whites.
At the time, Go Local reported, "Where is the diversity at the top Elorza Administration? There's none," said NAACP Providence Branch President Jim Vincent. "I need to talk with him. He needs to understand the politics, or he won't be reelected."
“Every non-union position would be reviewed. I am sure there [are] non-union qualified individuals in those positions and I'm equally sure that some may require change,” added Witman.
- Witman Blisters Elorza Over Crime in Providence
- EXCLUSIVE: Witman Pours $500,000 into Her Campaign for Providence Mayor UPDATED
- Witman’s Run for Mayor Upsets Her Role As Fundraiser With Fung Campaign
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Dee Dee Witman: Time to Show Gordon Fox the Door
- Witman Slams Elorza Over Lack of Leadership as Prov School Bus Drivers Move to Strike
- NEW: Dennis, DeRobbio Endorse Witman for Mayor of Providence
- Witman Calls Nordstrom Closure “Another Hit to The City of Providence”
- UPDATED: Elorza Invokes His “Political & Moral Authority”, Groups Threaten Legal Action in Strike
- Rickman’s Big View - Endorsement of Dee Dee Witman for Mayor of Providence
- Providence Mayoral Candidate Witman on LIVE: Strike, Public Safety, Tax Breaks and More
- UPDATED: School Bus Strike Thursday, Bus Co. Blames Teamsters, Witman Blasts Elorza
- Witman’s Fundraising Comes from East Side, Outside of Providence and Out of State
- Elorza’s 2019 Budget - No Tax Increase & No Effort to Resolve Billions in Unfunded Pension & OPEB
- EXCLUSIVE: Poll Shows Elorza Vulnerable in Re-Election Bid for Providence Mayor
- Elorza’s Growing Latino Problem — Only 39% Support Him and Performance Under Fire
- Riley: Elorza Purposely Underfunds Disastrous Providence Pension Plans
- Elorza Administration Reverses Position - April Traffic Camera Hearings Are Postponed
- LIVE: Providence Community Leader Schimberg “Disappointed” in Elorza Plastic Bag Ban Veto
- R.W. Alley: Mayor Elorza Says “Visit Providence”
- NEW: Elorza Vetoes Plastic Bag Ban, After Approval by Providence City Council
- Tuesday on LIVE: Plastic Bag Ban Advocate Schimberg on Elorza’s Veto & REVELFEST’s Davia
- Elorza Spends to Upgrade His Office Security, Draws Criticism
- “Providence Needs a Full-Time Mayor,” Says DeRobbio on LIVE on Elorza’s Out-of-State Travel
- Providence Schools in Chaos — Teachers Union Blisters Elorza for Comments About Teachers and Race
- VIDEO: Elorza Has No Transportation Plan for Students as School Bus Drivers are Poised to Strike
- Elorza Circumvented Board of Contract and Supply on New Speed Camera Contract, Say Council Members
- Watchdogs Raise Questions About Elorza Administration’s Improper Payments to Lobbyist
- Elorza Administration Improperly Paid Powerful Lobbyist $33,000 - Total Payments Exceed $100K
- VIDEO: Mayor Elorza Takes a Spill Learning to Skateboard in Providence
- Elorza Administration Fills In Iconic Federal Hill Fountain
- NEW: DeRobbio Blasts Elorza Over Federal Hill Fountain Disrepair