Witman’s Fundraising Comes from East Side, Outside of Providence and Out of State
Thursday, October 18, 2018
Through the October 9 filling, Witman has over $546,000 cash on hand which derives from $70,000 in fundraising and $500,000 in the form of a personal loan to the campaign.
Of the $70,000 raised, only a handful of the donations come from non-East Side Providence neighborhoods — mostly from addresses of upscale downtown apartment buildings like The Promenade Apartments or the Regency.
Witman defends her fundraising. “I have spent little time fundraising. It's not a matter of support vs. no support from local residents. I have spent my time walking, going to events from dawn to dusk and not on fundraising. As for support, everywhere I go I am greeted with such warmth and assurances that they will vote for me,” said Witman in an email to GoLocal.
“I’m very lucky that my friends and family are behind me. Simple as that!” added Witman, who spent much of her career as a professional fundraiser.
Witman faces incumbent Providence Mayor Jorge Elorza -- a GoLocal investigation in 2017 found that law firms that have received millions in legal work have donated hundreds of thousands to Elorza's campaign.
The list includes multiple members of the Paolino and Dulgarian families — both mega-developers in Providence. Collectively, Dulgarians comprise $4,500 of the total donations. Also, listed on the campaign finance report is Alan Hassenfeld, the former CEO of Hasbro and former Rhode Islander and Union boss Arthur Coia of the Laborers International union.
Hassenfeld has also poured $50,000 into an independent expenditure account titled “It’s Time Coalition.” The campaign fund is run out of East Providence, Rhode Island.
Hassenfeld's campaign finance report is notarized by former Mayor Joe Paolino’s secretary.
The number of donations from Florida represent 12.5 percent of the total number of donations.
- Witman Blisters Elorza Over Crime in Providence
- EXCLUSIVE: Witman Pours $500,000 into Her Campaign for Providence Mayor UPDATED
- Witman’s Run for Mayor Upsets Her Role As Fundraiser With Fung Campaign
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Dee Dee Witman: Time to Show Gordon Fox the Door
- Witman Slams Elorza Over Lack of Leadership as Prov School Bus Drivers Move to Strike
- NEW: Dennis, DeRobbio Endorse Witman for Mayor of Providence
- Rickman’s Big View - Endorsement of Dee Dee Witman for Mayor of Providence
- Providence Mayoral Candidate Witman on LIVE: Strike, Public Safety, Tax Breaks and More
- UPDATED: School Bus Strike Thursday, Bus Co. Blames Teamsters, Witman Blasts Elorza
- Witman Calls Nordstrom Closure “Another Hit to The City of Providence”
- Elorza’s 2019 Budget - No Tax Increase & No Effort to Resolve Billions in Unfunded Pension & OPEB
- EXCLUSIVE: Poll Shows Elorza Vulnerable in Re-Election Bid for Providence Mayor
- Elorza’s Growing Latino Problem — Only 39% Support Him and Performance Under Fire
- Riley: Elorza Purposely Underfunds Disastrous Providence Pension Plans
- Elorza Administration Reverses Position - April Traffic Camera Hearings Are Postponed
- LIVE: Providence Community Leader Schimberg “Disappointed” in Elorza Plastic Bag Ban Veto
- R.W. Alley: Mayor Elorza Says “Visit Providence”
- NEW: Elorza Vetoes Plastic Bag Ban, After Approval by Providence City Council
- Tuesday on LIVE: Plastic Bag Ban Advocate Schimberg on Elorza’s Veto & REVELFEST’s Davia
- Elorza Spends to Upgrade His Office Security, Draws Criticism
- “Providence Needs a Full-Time Mayor,” Says DeRobbio on LIVE on Elorza’s Out-of-State Travel
- Providence Schools in Chaos — Teachers Union Blisters Elorza for Comments About Teachers and Race
- VIDEO: Elorza Has No Transportation Plan for Students as School Bus Drivers are Poised to Strike
- Elorza Circumvented Board of Contract and Supply on New Speed Camera Contract, Say Council Members
- Watchdogs Raise Questions About Elorza Administration’s Improper Payments to Lobbyist
- Elorza Administration Improperly Paid Powerful Lobbyist $33,000 - Total Payments Exceed $100K
- VIDEO: Mayor Elorza Takes a Spill Learning to Skateboard in Providence
- Elorza Administration Fills In Iconic Federal Hill Fountain
- NEW: DeRobbio Blasts Elorza Over Federal Hill Fountain Disrepair
- UPDATED: Elorza Invokes His “Political & Moral Authority”, Groups Threaten Legal Action in Strike