VIDEO: Mattiello Claims Victory Over Frias in House District 15 Race
Wednesday, November 07, 2018
With 96 percent reporting in Cranston as of 9 p.m, Mattiello was up 3101 to Frias' 2960 -- good for 50.9% of the vote to Frias' 48.6%.
Latest for Mattiello
Mattiello, who turned back Frias in 2016 in mail ballots with a margin of victory of just 85 votes, faced a strong challenge from both Republicans backing Frias as well as progressive Democrats and a number of issue advocacy organizations.
As GoLocal reported in October, "Mattiello and Frias Race Heats Up — Will Outside Forces Be a Factor?"
A range of voices, however, from progressive Democrats to gun reform activists to reformers are calling for the defeat of Mattiello.
Former Democratic state legislator Linda Finn who heads the Rhode Island Coalition Against Gun Violence confirms that the group has begun targeted direct mail to District 15 — a District that voted for Donald Trump in 2016.
SEE VIDEO ABOVE
Mattiello had a formidable war chest as incumbent Speaker this election cycle.
As GoLocal reported:
Mattiello is sitting on a pile of money. He spent more than $75,000 in the past three weeks, but still has a campaign balance of $170,000.
Some of Mattiello's expenditures included $7,700 with the Providence Journal -- the newspaper recently endorsed him for re-election. And, four expenditures for approximately $840 at the Gentleman's Cigar Lounge.
Mattiello also spent $6,000 with Ed Cotugno's firm Winning Ways. Cotugno and Jeff Britt ran Mattiello's mail ballot strategy in 2016 which is credited with giving Mattiello his 85 vote margin win over Frias.
Related Slideshow: Election Night 2018: Photos of Democratic Heaven and GOP Hell in RI
- ELECTION 2018: Who Is In, Who Is Jumping In, and Who Are We Waiting For
- ELECTION 2018 LIVE: Magaziner Says He Will Be “All Over the State” in Reelection Bid
- ELECTION 2018 LIVE: Witman Says She has the Momentum to Win Mayor’s Race
- ELECTION 2018 LIVE: Cicilline Predicts Dems Will Retake the House
- ELECTION 2018 LIVE: Raimondo Denies Collusion and Says Fung and Trillo are One and the Same
- ELECTION 2018 LIVE: Fung Says Raimondo and Trillo’s Coordination Will Not Stop His Victory
- Raimondo Wins Reelection as RI Governor UPDATED
- UPDATED: Neronha is Rhode Island’s New Attorney General
- Whitehouse Beats Back Flanders’ Challenge for U.S. Senate Seat
- Cicilline Wins Re-Election, Now Seeks Top Democratic Leadership Slot