The Scoop: Harrop Courts Latino Vote; Green Infrastructure Grant
Friday, October 25, 2013
Providence Republican mayoral candidate Daniel Harrop—who recently called out the Rhode Island Republican Party over its failure to reach out to Hispanics—today announced that he will hold a fundraiser at Mi Guatemala, which is located in the Mount Pleasant neighborhood of Providence.
Earlier this month, GoLocal reported Harrop's displeasure with the RIGOP over lack of Hispanic outreach, as well as its stance on immigration.
“The RIGOP is going to make no significant headway in the General Assembly without picking up some seats in the urban core in Rhode Island,” Harrop told GoLocal.
Harrop also told GoLocal that the RIGOP's poor handling of the topic of immigration has hurt the party's standing amongst Hispanics. “We are losing generations of new voters in failing to support immigration reform, as Ronald Reagan did,” Harrop told GoLocal.
Harrop's fundraiser will take place on Thursday, November 7, from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. at Mi Guatemala, 1049 Atwells Ave., Providence. Any donations will be accepted, but organizers are asking for $20 per person.
For more information visit: https://www.facebook.com/DanHarrop?fref=ts
Further Hispanic Outreach
Aside from announcing his fundraiser via Facebook earlier today, Harrop is also currently promoting the Roosevelt Society's "Engaging Latinos in Your Community & Political Organizations," which is being held next Saturday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the Wyndham Gardens hotel in Providence.
The event features Paulo Sibaja of the Leadership Institute in Washington DC, which trains conservatives in campaigns, fundraising grassroots organizing, youth politics, and communications.
The gathering will center around how to effectively and respectfully engage the Hispanic population in community and/or political efforts. The event will feature seminars on public speaking, public policy, economics, education, and faith.
See More Scoops Below
If you have a scoop for The Scoop, please email it to [email protected]
- The Scoop - Does RI GOP Want Ken Block Or Not?
- The Scoop: Chafee’s Push for Green Cars, Big Grants for RI; More
- The Scoop: RI GOP To Name US Senate Candidate, Metts Blasts Gist
- The Scoop - Napolitano: RIGOP Should Have Raffled A Different Gun
- The Scoop: City Employee’s Bid for City Council Violates Charter
- The Scoop: Raimondo Launches Poll, Nunes Angry over E. Coli
- The Scoop: Avedisian Still Considering Running for Lt. Governor
- The Scoop: Ethics Commission Lawyer - Fox Investigation 90 Days
- The Scoop: Raimondo Set to Break Quarterly Fundraising Record
- The Scoop: Block Calls Out GOP Leaders, Costa Talks Gun Raffle
- The Scoop: Fmr. Fire Chief Eyeing Solomon’s Council Seat; More
- The Scoop: Taveras Poll Boosted Raimondo Fundraising; More
- The Scoop: Block Calls Speaker Fox Imperialistic; Fox Responds
- The Scoop: Fontaine Issues Gag Order, Impact of Fed Shutdown on RI
- The Scoop: Woonsocket’s Fontaine Hid Campaign Spending, and More
- The Scoop: Block Critiques Raimondo Over Lack of Transparency
- The Scoop: Fung Emboldened by Position in Brown Poll
- The Scoop: Block Denied Access to March in Columbus Day Parade
- The Scoop: Giroux to Run for Gov, RI Tea Party Talks Obamacare
- The Scoop: Candidate Levies Corruption Charge Against Taveras
- The Scoop: Harrop Blasts RI GOP Over Failure to Attract Hispanics