Raimondo Names Carol Grant as Commissioner of the Office of Energy Resources
Friday, May 13, 2016
"I look forward to helping Rhode Island move forward with an aggressive clean energy strategy, and continuing Marion's great work at OER. I'd like to thank Governor Raimondo for placing her confidence in me. I look forward to this exciting challenge, and I am eager to begin the process with the Senate," said Grant.
The Governor will submit their names to the Rhode Island State Senate on Tuesday for its advice and consent.
Carol Grant comes to OER with over 20 years of experience in operations, strategic human resources, policy, law, and communications. Most recently, she served in leadership roles at two different renewable energy companies.
"I have the utmost confidence that Carol will build on Marion's great work creating new investment opportunities, reducing energy costs for our families and businesses, shrinking Rhode Island's carbon footprint, and ensuring a more reliable and sustainable energy system. Her unique experience at renewable energy companies will help bring us into a secure, cost-effective, and sustainable energy future," Raimondo said.
As OER Commissioner, Grant will lead policy and planning for Rhode Island's nationally-recognized clean energy programs. She will make sure Rhode Island continues to excel in energy efficiency innovation and will take steps to expand local and regional renewable energy. She will address the challenges of affordability, resiliency, grid modernization, and system integration.
She had a bachelor's degree from the University of Missouri and a Juris Doctor from the University of Michigan.
Gold led the completion of RI's first State Energy Plan and worked in partnership with the RI Infrastructure Bank to launch new energy financing tools.
Prior to that, Gold was the Director of the University of Rhode Island Outreach and Energy Center and was the Manager of URI's Extension and Research Programs in Sustainable Horticulture.
"Under Marion's leadership at the OER, Rhode Island has emerged as a national leader on innovative clean energy programs and green job growth. In the past year, Rhode Island has seen 40 percent growth in green jobs. Marion has the deep experience and background to be an exceptional PUC Commissioner," said Raimondo.
As Commissioner, Gold will lead the PUC as it starts to attack the important issues of integrating renewables into the grid, bringing the electric system into the 21st century, and creating a robust green economy.
"I am honored to be selected to join the PUC. The PUC has been an important player in advancing Rhode Island's energy system, while doing great work on grid modernization. I'm excited to lend my expertise to these efforts and look forward to being considered by the Senate," said Gold.
Gold will replace Paul Roberti, who was appointed as a PUC Commissioner in 2009.
Related Slideshow: Photos of Raimondo’s State of the State -2016
Photos of Gina Raimondo's State of the State -2016 by Richard McCaffrey.
- Moore: Raimondo is Not Wrong to Hire Out-of-State Vendors
- Raimondo’s National Press Problem Following Tourism Fallout
- The Case for Raimondo and Pryor’s Leadership – Guest MINDSETTER™ Joseph R. Paolino
- RI Gov. Raimondo’s Approval Rating Plummets - Only 6.5% Think She is Doing An Excellent Job
- Raimondo’s Polling Numbers Are Terrible, But Not the Worst
- Under Raimondo, Out-of-State Vendors Receive 48% of RI Spending - $524M
- Riley: Dear SEC, Say Hello to Mayor Elorza & Governor Raimondo
- Raimondo’s Out-of-State Contracts Extend Beyond Tourism
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Harry Adler: Dear Governor Raimondo
- NEW: Raimondo Fires Betsy Wall For Tourism Campaign Debacle
- Raimondo’s Tourism Problems Are Far From Over
- For Gov. Raimondo and Legislature - Is this RhodeWorks and Nothing Else Year?
- Gov. Raimondo to Host Conversations Focused on Helping People Build Job Skills
- Gov. Raimondo Announces 8 Judicial Nominations
- DePetro Calls for “Rally Against Raimondo” at State House on Wednesday
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Rep. Morgan: Governor Raimondo, Are You for the People, or Your Pals?
- Gov. Raimondo Releases Action Plan to Fight Overdose Deaths
- Raimondo Calls for $4 Million to Fight Opioid Abuse in RI
- Raimondo’s Neuman Was Managing DraftKings Legislation As Wife Applied for Top Job
- Riley: Magaziner Throws Raimondo Under the Bus
- Sanders Win in RI is Another Blow to Governor Raimondo
- RI Loses Money on Point Judith Investment, Raimondo Continues to Make Money
- Raimondo, Moffit Host College Signing Day Celebration at Central High School
- Raimondo is Looking to Shake Up Her Staff - See Who is in Play
- GoLocalTV: Rhode Islanders Turn Out for Rally Against Raimondo