Raimondo, Elorza Refuse Comment on Donations from Construction Co. Hit by Feds
Wednesday, December 21, 2016
Rhode Island Governor Gina Raimondo, and Providence Mayor Jorge Elorza, who each received thousands in contributions from Rosciti, were silent on the issue of whether or not they would keep the money from employees of Rosciti construction.
Rosciti is responsible now for paying part of a $1 million dollar settlement with the Feds to resolve civil allegations that they violated the Federal False Claims Act, by submitting, or causing the submission of, claims for reimbursement for funding earmarked for minority, women-owned, or small business that they were not entitled to receive.
Responses to Action
Warwick Mayor Scott Avedisian, who trailed Raimondo and Elorza in Rosciti contributions at $1500, had the following to say on Tuesday.
" needed to speak with the United States Attorney to make sure that I have all of the appropriate background information. The US Attorney told me this is a civil issue and not criminal," said Avedisian.
"Then I needed to check to see if either company has any existing contracts with the city. They do not. There was apparently some sewer work many years ago," continued Avedisian, whose Rosciti contributions were made in 2013 and 2014. "Given those facts and never having met the donor, I do think any further action is warranted."
U.S. Attorney Peter Neronha had strong words to say about the case, however:
“Disadvantaged business enterprise requirements exist to make sure that small companies owned by women and by minorities have a fair shot to compete for, and benefit from, the economic opportunities provided by federal grants and contract dollars,” said Neronha on Monday. “That opportunity is lost when companies manipulate the process to secure federally funded work in place of those that are legitimately deserving. This Office will continue to use all means at our disposal to ensure that contractors who receive federal dollars play by the rules."
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Tom Kenney: Elorza’s Incompetence
- Moore: Does Raimondo Want Mattiello to Prevail?
- RI’s Investment Losses in Raimondo’s Pt. Judith Have Grown 127%
- RI Divests From 7 of Raimondo’s Hedge Funds, Including Och-Ziff Which Was Hit By SEC with $400M Fine
- NEW: Rep. Lombardi Calls on Raimondo to Stop Fast Track of 6-10 Connector Rebuild
- Could Pell Beat Raimondo in a Democratic Primary in RI - Like Sanders Beat Clinton?
- Riley: Raimondo’s Biggest Problem is Providence
- UPDATED: Raimondo Administration Continues Fight To Block Release of 38 Studios Documents
- Raimondo’s 38 Studios Strategy: Bad Judgment, Bad Advice, or Just Good Ole RI Cronyism
- Horowitz: Raimondo’s Economic Development Strategy Paying Big Dividends
- GoLocalProv Sues Raimondo and State Police for Release of 38 Studios State Police Interviews
- Democratic Legislators Keeping Clear of Unpopular Raimondo in Campaign
- Rep. Serpa Demands Raimondo Intervene in Botched UHIP Rollout
- RI Federation of Teachers Urges Raimondo to Oppose Charter School Expansion in New Campaign
- Raimondo Administration: Public Profit Over Public Service
- Raimondo Orders Expanded DHS Hours, Staff to Address Ongoing UHIP Problems
- Fecteau: Raimondo Deserves a Credible Primary Opponent
- Raimondo Administration Refuses to Answer Questions About Wexford Deal and Brown’s Rent
- EDITORIAL: Clinton and Raimondo’s Secrecy Troubles
- Biggest Questions Facing Raimondo Administration’s Botched $500M UHIP Rollout
- RI Leaders’ Top Questions for Raimondo Administration on Botched UHIP Launch
- GoLocalTV: Raimondo Says Still Doing “Due Diligence” on CA Developer Getting $3.6M
- Raimondo Calls for Further Delay of Release of 38 Studios Documents, Blocks GoLocal’s Request
- EDITORIAL: Elorza Gives Tax Break to One Greenhouse Gas Producer But Blocks Another
- More Staff Shuffle for Raimondo, Another Former Elorza Staffer Named to a Top Post
- Millions in Firefighter Overtime Still in Dispute as Elorza Touts New Contract
- Elorza Refuses to Endorse Paolino Plan, Proposes “Giving Meters” Instead
- EDITORIAL: No One is Safe Downtown, Elorza’s Press Secretary Robbed at City Hall
- Paolino Demands Panhandling Plan from Elorza Administration
- Simon Out as Chief-of-Staff, Third Top Staffer Leaves Elorza’s Office in 18-months
- Community Activist Raises Questions of Elorza Taking Credit for Zoo Free Days
- Lifespan Refuses to Pay Providence - Elorza’s Received Thousands in Contributions
- Elorza Administration Exodus - 100% of Senior Staff Has Left
- Elorza’s Office SUV Gets Booted and Seized for Excessive Tickets
- Bob Whitcomb’s Digital Diary: Raimondo Re-Election, Elorza and Panhandling, and Assage
- Elorza: “Providence Will Continue to Arrest Individuals on ICE Warrants”
- Elorza Miscalculates, More Budget and Firefighter Chaos
- Elorza’s Latest Firefighter Savings Claim Off $11M, Says City Auditor
- Activist Blasts Elorza for Lack of Concern for Anti-Jewish Hate Crimes
- Gov. Raimondo’s Chief-of-Staff Smiley Owns Company Fundraising for Elorza
- GoLocalTV: Elorza Evades Questions On Auditor’s Claim that City is Off $7M on Fire Contract
- Internal Auditor: Elorza’s Claimed Savings on Firefighters’ Contract is Off $7M
- Elorza’s Firefighter Contract is Deeply Flawed Says Finance Chair Igliozzi
- Aponte, Finance Committee Pull Support for Elorza’s $40M Providence Infrastructure Bond
- Fired Providence City Worker Gets Multimillion-Dollar Contract from Elorza Administration
- Elorza Picks $1,000 Donor to Represent City in Jackson Recall Case
- Moore: Elorza Should Propose a Municipal Income Tax