NEW: Naval War College to Hold 9/11 Ceremony in Newport
Tuesday, September 10, 2013
U.S. Naval War College (NWC) will hold a remembrance ceremony to commemorate the 12th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks at 12 p.m. on Wednesday, Sept. 11 at the Patriots Memorial at Naval Station (NAVSTA) Newport.
The ceremony will honor 11 fallen NWC students and alumni killed on Sept. 11, 2001: Capt. Gerald F. DeConto; Lt. Cmdr. Robert R. Elseth; Capt. Lawrence D. Getzfred; Ms. Angela Houtz; Cmdr. Patrick J. Murphy; Lt. Jonas Panik; retired Capt. Jack D. Punches, Jr.; Cmdr. Robert A. Schlegel; Cmdr. Dan F. Shanower; U.S. Army Maj. Kip Taylor; and retired Capt. John D. Yamnicky, Sr.
The service will feature a wreath laying, music by Navy Band Northeast, and comments from NWC president Rear Adm. Walter E. “Ted” Carter Jr., and guest speakers; U.S. Army Lt. Col. William Bestermann and U.S. Marine Corps Lt. Col. Don Thieme. The ceremony will last approximately 30-45 minutes, according to organizers.
U.S. Army Lt. Col. William Bestermann: a student at NWC, was assigned to 3d U.S. Infantry Regiment (The Old Guard) in Washington, D.C. on Sept. 11, 2001 and participated in search and rescue efforts following the 9/11 attacks.
U.S. Marine Corps Lt. Col. Don Thieme: a NWC faculty member, will reflect on his neighbor and close personal friend, Capt. DeConto, an NWC graduate killed while serving at the Pentagon’s Navy Command Center during the 9-11 attacks.
A Special Honor
The late Frank Hanson will also be recognized for his contributions in building the Patriots Memorial, which consists of a section of limestone removed from the damaged portion of the Pentagon, located on campus at Naval Station Newport. Hanson, a local Rhode Islander who served in World War II, Korea, and Vietnam, passed away July 27, 2013.
For more information visit: http://www.usnwc.edu/home.aspx
- RI’s Naval War College Terrorism Expert: Marathon and Ricin Scare
- A Father Remembers His Lost Son - A 9/11 Tribute
- NEW: Navy Asks Personnel in the 5-State Area to Check In
- 9/11/2001-9/11/2011: Family Remembers Loved Ones
- NEW: Navy Contractor Pleads Guilty in Kickback Scheme
- 9/11/2001: Where Were You?... Prominent RIers Remember the Day
- NEW: Navy Contractor to Plead Guilty in Kickback Scheme
- A LIVELY EXPERIMENT: Remembering 9/11
- NEW: Navy Engineer Indicted in Fraud and Bribe Conspiracy
- A LIVELY EXPERIMENT: Remembering 9/11 Pt. 2
- NEW: Reed Receives Navy’s Highest Civilian Honor
- Family Matters: Talking with Kids About 9/11
- NEW: Sequester Navy Budget Cuts Cancel RI’s Blue Angels, Navy Week
- NEW: Alex and Ani Creates Commemorative Bangles for 9/11
- Navy Newport’s Holiday Concert Coming Dec. 11