BankRI and Books Are Wings Host March Book Drive for RI Literacy
Tuesday, March 03, 2015
BankRI will host a month-long book drive throughout their 19 branches in collaboration with local nonprofit Books Are Wings during the month of March. In an effort to support literacy gains among Rhode Island children, the branches will provide community members with an opportunity to make a donation of new and gently used books.
This year’s collection marks BankRI’s 5th annual partnership with Books Are Wings, a local nonprofit that works to put free books in the hands of children in some of Rhode Island’s neediest communities. Last year’s effort generated more than 2,000 books, which were distributed to students in Central Falls. With the high number of donations, Books Are Wings was able to expand its offerings to include an intensive six-week literacy program for children with the greatest need. According to Rhode Island Kids Count, 56 percent of Central Falls fourth graders are not proficient in reading.
BankRI is hoping to exceed last year’s results, setting a goal of collecting 2,500 books in 2015.
“The reading proficiency gap in Rhode Island between low-income students and their more affluent peers is not only well-documented, it’s troubling,” said Patricia O’Donnell-Saracino, Vice President of Community Relations for BankRI. “At BankRI, this drive is something that we are entirely committed to and has become an effort our customers and staff look forward to being a part of each year—we all want to help children develop a love of reading at a young age, and this collection is a positive step in achieving that goal.”
In addition to hosting its month-long book drive, BankRI has also awarded a $2,000 grant to Books Are Wings. The funds will be used to provide literacy supplies to 650 Central Falls students and the distribution of an additional 1,300 books through a School Book Party and Early Learning Book Party organized by Books Are Wings.
- BankRI Kicks Off Holiday Giving Tree Program
- BankRI Donates $5K to Latino Public Radio
- BREAKING NEWS: BankRI Sold to Brookline Bancorp
- BankRI Presents $7,000 to Providence Rescue Mission
- BankRI Reports Banner Year
- BankRI CFO Simmons Recognized
- BankRI Supports Steel Yard’s ‘Weld To Work’ Program
- BankRI Helps Meeting Street Exceed Fundraising Goal
- BankRI Expands into South County with New Wakefield Location
- BankRI Book Drive Generates Nearly 2,000 Books
- BankRI Independence Day Celebration Rescheduled for July 5
- BankRI Launches Seven Week Food Drive
- BankRI Launches 4th Annual Children’s Book Drive
- Welcome to Business Monday: BankRIBizHub & GoLocalProv Partnership
- BankRI Announces Food Drive to Help Local Pantries
- BankRI Grants $5K to Sophia Academy to Replace Stolen Computers
- BankRI Holiday Giving Tree Produces Hundreds of Gifts for Children
- BankRI’s “Holiday Giving Tree” Brightens Season for Hundreds of Kids