Sherman Named New HealthSource RI Director
Wednesday, March 02, 2016
“Zach has demonstrated outstanding leadership during his tenure at HealthSource RI, first as a key staffer during the start-up, then as Chief of Staff and more recently as Acting Director. He has worked very closely with me and with former HealthSource RI Director Anya Rader Wallack to establish and enhance Rhode Island’s health insurance exchange. During a time of greatly constrained resources, Zach has shown strong management skills, meeting budget targets, growing enrollments and meeting service requirements. I am most pleased that HealthSource can continue connecting Rhode Islanders with affordable health insurance under Zach’s leadership,” said DiBiase.
Sherman has served as acting director since November 2015 and has led HealthSource through its third open enrollment period and the launch of a new small business engagement team.
"I'm honored to have been chosen to lead HealthSource RI. I look forward to building on the work we’ve already accomplished to drive down the uninsured rate, to connect Rhode Island families and employers with affordable coverage, and to improve the customer experience," Sherman said.
Sherman was an original member of the implementation team that was hired to design, develop and implement the exchange after the Rhode Island Health Benefits Exchange executive order was signed in 2011. Sherman acted as the primary manager of exchange establishment activities in the build p to HealthSource RI's launch in October of 2013.
Sherman was then hired in January of 2015 as Chief of Staff by then exchange director Anya Rader Wallack. Upon being hired, he was tasked with putting in Governor Gina Raimondo's mandate to right size the agency's budget, stabilize operation, create a long-term financial sustainability plan, and to make the case for establishing HealthSource RI in statute.
Sherman served as interim Chief Financial Officer until a permanent chief financial officer was hired in March of 2015.
Sherman earned a Bachelor of Arts in Business Administration from Rhodes College in Memphis, Tennessee. He lives in Providence and is a native of Vermont.
- NEW: HealthSource RI Issues Enrollment Deadline Updates
- New Competition for HealthSource RI Emerges
- NEW: HealthSource RI Reports 4,642 Processed Applications to Date
- Smart Benefits: Will HealthSource RI Meet Enrollment Expectations?
- NEW: Healthsource RI Announces Health Benefits Exchange Rates
- NEW: Raimondo Replaces Ferguson at HealthSource RI
- Raimondo’s Choice for HealthSource RI Failed in Vermont
- HealthSource RI Deadline Extended by Weekend Storm
- NEW: Ex-HealthSourceRI Director Ferguson Arrested
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Blake Filippi: Supreme Court Implications for HealthSource RI
- Speaker Mattiello Has Sights on Ending HealthSource RI
- Smart Benefits: HealthSource RI Gets More Federal Funding
- Smart Benefits: 10 Days to Shop for New HealthSource Plan for Jan. 1