NEW: Women & Infants To Host Free Conference On Women’s Cancers
Tuesday, September 10, 2013
Women & Infants Hospital’s Program in Women’s Oncology and The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University will host a free conference on women’s cancers as part of a national series of events through the Society of Gynecologic Oncology (SGO).
Entitled “What’s Up Doc? What’s New and Best in Women’s Cancer Treatment and Survivorship,” the program will take place Friday, October 11 from 9 am to 4 pm, in the hospital’s Malcolm and Elizabeth Chace Education Center. It is free to cancer patients, their family members and/or caregivers and health care providers.
Educating Cancer Patients and Their Families
“It is an incredible honor to be chosen by SGO to offer this educational event, and a wonderful opportunity for members of the community to learn more about women’s cancers, new treatments, current research, and integrative care options available to them,” said Cornelius “Skip” Granai III, MD, director of the Program in Women’s Oncology.
The day-long conference will feature presentations by every member of the faculty at the Program in Women’s Oncology and The Breast Health Center, allowing the community to meet the physicians, genetic counselors and other staff, and for these professionals to offer their expertise.
Presentations are grouped in three categories, starting in the morning with “Cancer Concepts and Language (p-Values);” moving into “Where are we now and what’s coming in treating women’s cancers?” in the late morning; and followed by “In addition to science, what else matters?” in the afternoon. The day will end with a presentation by Dr. Granai, an internationally-acclaimed speaker. He will present “p-Values, h-Values, Science, Art, and Spirituality.” Special activities and demonstrations will close the day.
“Our goal is to illustrate that there is a science and an art to medicine and that both need to be interwoven in a woman’s treatment plan,” Dr. Granai explains. “We have always sought to balance the science with the art for the optimal results and patient satisfaction.”
- Oncology 101: What are Genes, What is Cancer, What Kinds are There, What are Women’s Cancers?
- Cancer Treatment Options: Surgery, Radiation Therapy, Chemo, Other
- Cancer Research: Basic, Translational, and Clinical Trials
- Cancer of the Uterus
- Cancer of the Ovary and Fallopian Tubes
- Cancer of the Vulva and Cervix
- Cancer of the Breast
- Cancer is a Family Affair
- Fertility, Hormones and Sexuality after Cancer
- Cancer Rehabilitation Panel: Behavioral Health, Lymphedema, Integrative Care and Nutrition
Joining the gynecologic and breast cancer physicians for various presentations will be physicians from Women & Infants’ Center for Reproduction and Infertility, social workers, nutritionists, physical therapists and rehabilitation specialists.
Participants will receive complimentary lunch and snacks, as well as access to demonstrations of therapeutic disciplines.
- Nursing Team at Women and Infants Honored in Modern Healthcare
- NEW: Women & Infants Doctors Named Tops in the Nation—US News
- Women & Infants Helps Cancer Survivors Conceive
- Women & Infants: 8 Tips For Healthy Exercise When Pregnant
- Save Your Skin This Summer—Women and Infants Experts
- NEW: Women & Infants MD Earns National “Legend” Award
- Women & Infants Launches Newborn Safe To Sleep Campaign
- Women & Infants: How To Prevent Teen Moms’ Post-Partum Depression
- Women and Infants Participating in National Study of New Fertility Drug
- NEW: Women & Infants MD Named “Legend” in Neonatology
- Women & Infants Offers Advanced Hereditary Testing
- Women & Infants: Preserving Fertility for Life After Cancer
- Women and Infants Physician Appointed President of Professional Society
- NEW: Women & Infants Named Center of Excellence for Neonatal Care
- Women & Infants Reaches Out to Women on Pinterest
- Women and Infants Ranked as 26th Best for Gynecology
- NEW: Women & Infants Named Top 100 Hospital For Women
- Women & Infants Researchers Discover New Test for Birth Defects
- NEW: Alex and Ani Releases New Bangle to Benefit Women & Infants
- NEW: Women & Infants Physician Sandra Carson Earns FDA Award
- Women & Infants Tests New DNA Screen For Down Syndrome
- NEW: Three Women & Infants Docs Named Best by US News
- Sex and the 50-Something Woman—Women & Infants Expert
- Women & Infants to Study Postpartum Depression in Teens
- NEW: Women & Infants + Brown Pioneer New Down Syndrome Test
- Women & Infants Breast Health Center Launches Survivor Clinic
- Women & Infants’ New Model Puts Moms and Newborns in Same Room