Walmart and CVS Split Over Pricing
Tuesday, January 15, 2019
The split up is due to a battle over pricing. CVS stock fell 1.5 percent after the announcement.
“At a time when everyone is working hard to find ways to reduce health care costs, Walmart’s requested rates would ultimately result in higher costs for our clients and consumers,” said Derica Rice, President, CVS Caremark, the pharmacy benefit management business of CVS Health. “While we have enjoyed a long relationship with Walmart as a low cost provider in our broad national networks, based on our commitment to helping our clients and consumers manage rising pharmacy costs, we simply could not agree to their recent demands for an increase in reimbursement.”
“CVS is one of the largest administrators of prescription-drug plans in the U.S., covering more than 93 million people. While known mostly for its drugstores, CVS’s pharmacy-benefits management division, CVS Caremark, has come to account for most of its revenue. It administers drug coverage for many large employers as well as numerous Medicare and Medicaid beneficiaries, “ according to Bloomberg.
Currently, less than 5 percent of affected CVS Caremark members use Walmart exclusively to fill their prescriptions. The retail pharmacy network is well-positioned, even without Walmart, to provide members with access to a local pharmacy, said CVS.
With more than 63,000 other pharmacies that will remain in the CVS Caremark national pharmacy network, the network continues to exceed industry benchmarks with regards to network pharmacy access by a significant margin without Walmart. In fact, the average distance that a member would need to travel to reach an in-network pharmacy, without Walmart in the network, remains virtually unchanged.
- CVS and Aetna Is The Most Important Business Deal in RI History, Says Kaplan
- CVS and Aetna Complete $69.9B Deal - See the Key Deal Points
- Whitcomb: CVS-Aetna; Pedestrian Bridge; Pour in More Pollution? O Jerusalem
- CVS Says No To Photoshopped Beauty Marketing Images
- CVS PAC Is One of the Largest Donors to Trump’s Campaign
- CVS and Aetna Worry About UnitedHealth as Well as Amazon
- BIF’s Kaplan Talks CVS Acquisition of Aetna, Better to Be the Disruptor
- Robert Whitcomb’s Digital Diary: Clinton, Russian Hackers, and CVS Pressure
- CVS Charity Classic Donates Over $1 Million to 90 Area Charities
- Robert Whitcomb: CVS Race Day Paralysis; Vote at the Same Time; Burns’s Vietnam Take
- Combined CVS and Aetna Will Be the 2nd Largest Company by Revenue in America
- NEW: Foulkes to Leave CVS for Saks Fifth Avenue Company CEO Slot
- CVS’ Acquisition of Aetna Takes a Turn: CA Investigating Aetna
- CVS, Aetna Merger Approved by Department of Justice
- CVS Ranks Below Average for Customer Satisfaction, Reports J.D. Power
- Whitcomb: Too High End in Providence? CVS and Health-Care Transformation; Pawtucket’s Future
- CVS Tests Membership Program — Mega Business Rivalry with Amazon is Exploding
- FL Attorney General Bondi Files Suit Against CVS and Walgreens for Role in Opioid Crisis
- CVS Forced to Apologize After Store Managers Call Police on Black Women Over a Coupon
- Bradley, Andrade & Henderson Win CVS Health Charity Classic
- Kaplan Discusses Amazon, CVS and Uber on Business Monday on LIVE
- CVS Health Expands Safe Drug Disposal at RI CVS Pharmacy Locations
- Rory McIlroy Highlights 2018 CVS Health Charity Classic Field
- HealthSource RI Teams With CVS Health to Make Paying Bills Easier
- CVS and Aetna $69B Deal is Completed — One of Largest Transactions in Business History