Twin River Workers to Strike on Friday, RI Revenues Could Be Impacted, & Raimondo Monitoring
Friday, June 09, 2017
Twin River Casino unilaterally reduced healthcare coverage on January 1, despite years of growing casino revenue.
"We are monitoring the situation and have reached out to both sides," said David Ortiz, spokesperson for Governor Gina Raimondo. Gaming is Rhode Island's third largest source of revenue and a strike could impact business at Twin River and, correspondlingly, revenue.
"Workers are demanding that health benefits be restored, family healthcare made more affordable, and reasonable raises," said the Union of Thursday night.
Will Union Workers Building the Hotel Cross the UNITE HERE Picket?
“There's no indication whatsoever that construction of the hotel will be impacted in any way (by a strike of Unite Here Local 26 of the Food and Beverage Workers),” said Patti Doyle, spokeswoman for Twin River Casino.
On Wednesday afternoon the union that represents cocktail servers, cooks, and other food and beverage workers at the Twin River Casino authorized s strike by a vote of 327 to 5.
“Workers gave the company until 4:00 am on Friday morning to come up with a deal. If not, they’ll walk out,” said the union.
Doyle said, “"We were aware in advance of the possible strike action by a subset of Twin River Casino employees. We have prepared for this eventuality and expect no interruption in the food, beverage and gaming service we intend to provide our customers this weekend.”
Twin River has placed ads in local publications for positions in our food and beverage departments. We have immediate openings, and offer highly competitive wages and benefits.
Related Slideshow: How Do Twin River Casino and Plainridge Park Casino Match Up?
With Plainridge Park Casino opening in Plainville, MA, GoLocal looked into how the new facility will measure up against Twin River Casino in Lincoln, RI.
1.) Payout Percentage: How much of each dollar spent is won back by a customer.
Number of Slot Machines
Twin River: 4,500
Plaindridge Park: 1,200
Twin River has nearly four times the number of slot machines that Plainridge Park has available.
Photo courtesy of: Flickr/Raging Wire
Number of Table Games
Twin River: 80
Plaindridge Park: 50
Twin River offers 30 more table options than Plainridge Park, including poker, blackjack, craps, and more.
Photo courtesy of Flickr/Images Money
Twin River: 90.845%
Plaindridge Park: N/A
The data for Plainridge Park will come out in the coming months, but Twin River's customers won back 90.845% of their money in May of 2015.
Photo courtesy of Flickr/Jessie Hodge
Twin River: 300,000
Plaindridge Park: 106,000
Twin River's facility is nearly triple the size of Plainridge Park's and neither is limited to gambling areas.
The former has an event center, a cigar bar, and more. The latter has several restaurants and a horse track.
Number of Hotel Rooms
Twin River: None
Plaindridge Park: None
Neither Twin River or Plainridge Park currently offer hotel accomodations for their customers. Instead, they suggest to search for nearby options.
However, plans to build a hotel at Twin River were approved in March of 2015 by the RI House of Representatives. A date for when construction would be finalized has not been announced.
Number of Restaurants
Twin River: 2
Plaindridge Park: 2
While both facilties offer food court options, each has two prominent dining locations.
Twin River: 2007
Plaindridge Park: 2015
Twin River's grounds were first established when Lincoln Downs was built in 1947. It officially became known as Twin River Casino in March of 2007.
The casino at Plainridge Park has just been finalized, but the facility first opened in 1999 as a racetrack.
Twin River: Twin River Event Center
Plaindridge Park: Revolution 1776 Lounge
Twin River's 29,000 square foot venue will play host to Whitesnake on July 24 and Boz Scaggs on August 1.
The Revolution 1776 Lounge will welcome Thirty 6 Red on June 25, Bon Jersey on June 27, and Shattered on June 28.
Hours of Operation
Twin River: 24/7
Plainridge Park: 24/7
Both casinos are open all day all year long, providing customers with the opportunity to win money at any hour of the day.
- Resignations, A Hotel for Twin River, & a “Tip Wage” Rally: This Week at the State House
- Lean Gov’t, Marijuana, and a Twin River Hotel: This Week at the State House
- Twin River Announces Intention to Move Newport Grand to Tiverton
- Will Twin River Ruin Tiverton? Is the Oil Refinery Being Revisited?
- How Do Twin River Casino and Plainridge Park Casino Match Up?
- Twin River Announces Acquisition of Newport Grand
- BREAKING: Paolino Selling Newport Grand to Twin River Parent Company
- Shipyard Pub to Open at Twin River this November
- Twin River Casino Explores Hotel Project, Informs Lincoln
- NEW: Newport Anti-Casino Group Responds to Newport Grand Sale to Twin River
- REPORT: FitchRatings Warns of Impact on Twin River
- Twin River Unveils $75 Million Tiverton Proposal
- NEW: Twin River Secures Approval in Tiverton After Mail Ballot Count
- All of the Statewide Referendums Approved - Twin River By the Slimest Margin
- Twin River Spending Millions with Out-of-State Firms to Build Hotel
- GOP Leader Picks Labor Day Fight with Twin River Over Elimination of Sunday Overtime
- UB40 Brings it to Twin River!!
- MA Gaming Commission Chair Says Twin River Has Not Won Yet
- #DSTRONG, Twin River & Pawn Shops: This Week at the State House
- Good News and Bad News for Twin River Out of Massachusetts
- Huey Lewis & The News Rocks Twin River!
- Will Unions Cross Union Picket Lines If Twin River Has Strike?