NEW: Best States for Business - Forbes Magazine
Wednesday, November 23, 2011
Forbes Magazine has listed its rankings for the best states for doing business and the New England states took their lumps.
According to the 6th Annual report issued by Forbes, Utah ranked #1 as a business environment and the New England states rank between #18 and #50.
Business costs rank
Labor supply rank
Regulatory environment rank
Economic climate rank
Growth prospects rank
Quality of life rank
Rhode Island and New England
Rhode Island came in at #48 for best for business scoring ahead of only Hawaii (#49) and Maine (#50). Rhode Island's best scores were for Growth Prospects - where the state ranked #17 and for Quality of Life #18.
According to Forbes, "The worst states for business continue to be dominated by those in the northeast including: New Jersey (No. 44), Vermont (No. 45), Rhode Island (No. 48) and Maine which lands at No. 50 for a second straight year. Maine suffers from energy costs 31% above the national average, stagnant population growth and anemic forecasts when it comes to job and gross state product growth."
Massachusetts ranked #1 for Quality of Life.
Rhode Island ranked #50 for Regulatory environment.
- 2012 Rhode Island Business Plan Competition - Time for a Good Party
- Hasbro CEO talks about the three “R"s of business growth
- A LIVELY EXPERIMENT April 14, 2011 Has Chafee Done Enough to Reach Out to the Business Community?
- How to Save Downtown: Business Leaders Respond
- Bryant Gets New Dean of Business
- National Study: RI 45th Business Friendly State
- Business Climate in RI Could Get Sunnier, Group Says
- New Laws Would Streamline Business Regulations
- Business Group Endorses ‘Pro-Jobs’ Candidates
- Business Insider - National Business Site Features GoLocalProv
- Business Owners Make Their Case to State Officials
- Cicilline Says Small Businesses Need Access to Credit