Andy Smith, Music and Features Writer, Leaves Projo After 30 Years
Saturday, September 15, 2018
Smith made the announcement of his departure via Facebook, ”Today was my last day at the Providence Journal. It was a 30-year run, and I leave with some wonderful memories.”
“Many thanks to the editors, sources, colleagues and readers who helped along the way. I hope to keep reporting and writing in some fashion. The Journal sure ain’t what it was, but there are some great journalists there doing their best with ever-dwindling resources. My best to them, and I’ll be reading,” wrote Smith.
According to his Muck Rack profile, Smith has also written for The Washington Post, Daily Mirror, Quartz, Telegram & Gazette, The Herald News, ReelSEO.
For the Providence Journal, it is another departure of a significant journalist and further depletion of the news staff that now has about 15 reporters.
In the past few weeks, GateHouse Media, the parent company of the Projo has closed newspapers across the country. Last week an additional 40 GateHouse workers lost their job in Stockton, CA as the company closed a printing facility.
- ProJo Spouts More Hot Air, Guest MINDSETTER™ Seth Handy
- Union Raises Questions About Projo Outsourcing to Hummel Report - Non-Profit with Conservative Ties
- Projo Reporter Tells Boston Globe “We Get Our Ass Beat All the Time” on Stories
- This Year’s Projo Guild Follies Will Be Last - End of RI Tradition
- Projo Reporter Was Covering Senate While Interviewing for $121K Senate Job
- VIDEO: ProJo Guild Marches to Protest Pay Cuts & Imposed Conditions by “Overlords”
- Projo Launches Ad Campaign Focused on “Local” Amidst 28 Years of Newspaper Circulation Declines
- Whitcomb Questions Pell-Kwan Divorce Being Front Page ProJo News
- Media Explosion in RI - RI PBS Scores $94M, WPRO’s Parent Co. Collapse, Big Projo Changes
- Is the Projo the Whitest Metro Newspaper in America?
- Projo Business Editor Kostrzewa Leaving
- Projo’s Bogdan Leaves Paper for Raimondo’s Office - Second Reporter in Two Weeks to Quit
- Media Unrest: Projo Takes Strip Club Ads, Globe Suspends Pulitzer Prize Winner
- More Staff Reductions at Projo and Big Price Increase: UPDATED
- UPDATED: ProJo’s John Hill to Take Buyout, Three More ProJo Employees Seeking Buyouts
- Projo’s Glass House — Company Earns Hundreds of Thousands from Antiquated Legal Notices Requirement
- Projo Exodus Continues — Reporter Who Wrote About Trudeau’s Physical Appearance Leaves
- Rickman’s The Big View: Projo, Patinkin, and Sexist Social Media
- Whitcomb Talks ProJo Staff Exodus and Tourism Re-Do on GoLocal LIVE
- Less than Half of Projo’s Articles Written By Newspaper’s Reporters
- Projo Patinkin’s Social Media Criticized As “Demeaning” By Leading RI Women
- Projo Issues Apology After GoLocal Story Exposes Sexist Social Media Posts By Patinkin
- Projo’s Parent Company Closes More Newspapers Across the United States
- Teamsters at ProJo File Federal Complaint Against Newspaper’s Owner GateHouse
- Providence Journal Sold to GateHouse, Sources Tell GoLocal
- NEW: ProJo Union Calls Out GateHouse for Secret Healthcare Rollbacks
- GateHouse Will Be Replacing Projo’s Website with Template Running in Arkansas, Nebraska and …
- ProJo Pulls Gregg from State House - What is GateHouse Thinking?
- Boston Herald Files for Bankruptcy, GateHouse Seeking to Buy