PC Hockey to Face Harvard in NCAA Tourney at Dunkin’ Donuts Center
Sunday, March 19, 2017
The Friars have reached the NCAA Tournament for the fourth straight year and the 13th time in program history with an at-large bid and will be a number four seed in the East Regional.
Harvard is a number one seed in the region and the number three overall seed in the tournament.
The last time Providence played their first round games at the Dunkin’ Donuts Center they went on to win the national championship.
Game time is set for 4 p.m. on ESPNU on Friday, March 24.
PC vs Harvard
Friday’s game will mark the first meeting between the two schools since January 12, 1984 when the Friars were part of the ECAC. Harvard leads the all-time series 17-9-1.
PC enters the tournament off their fourth straight 20-plus win season, finishing the year with an overall record of 22-11-5 and 12-7-3 in conference play.
Providence made it to the quarterfinal round of the Hockey East tournament where they were swept by Notre Dame in a best of three series.
The Crimson enter the tournament unbeaten in their last 16 games (15-0-1) and winners for 14 straight. Harvard is coming off an ECAC title win over Cornell on Saturday night in Lake Placid, New York.
Related Slideshow: RI Teams To Win National Championships
PC Basketball 1960-61 NIT
The Providence College Friars won the National Invitation Tournament(NIT) in 1961, defeating St. Louis 62-59 at Madison Square Garden in New York.
At this time, the NIT was considered to be the National Championship of College Basketball.
The Friars were led by Vinny Ernst and James Hadnot that season.
PC Women's Cross Country
The 1995 Providence Friars won the programs first NCAA title. On the way, PC won their first BIG EAST and ECAC Championships.
Head Coach Ray Treacy was named NCAA Division I Women's National Coach of the Year, BIG EAST Men's and Women's Coach of the Year, Rhode Island Words Unlimited Women's Coach of the Year and NCAA District I Women's Cross Country Coach of the Year.
Brown Women's Crew '99
Brown women's crew won the first NCAA Division I Championship in Brown University History by defeating the University of Virginia by a three-second margin at lake Natoma in California.
Brown also won the Eastern Sprint Championship and the Ivy Championship, setting a new course record in the process.
Photo courtesy of Brownbears.com
Brown Women's Crew 2000
Brown repeated as national Champions in 2000, beating the University of Washington by 3.9 seconds four points.
In addition, Brown's varsity and second varsity won the Eastern Sprint Championship and the IVY league Championship.
Both teams went undefeated on the season.
URI Women's Sailing 2011
The URI Women won the programs first National Championship in small boat sailing in the 79 year history of the program and hoisted the Gerald C. Miller Memorial Trophy at the Sperry Top-Sider/Intercollegiate Sailing Association Women’s National Championship.
The Rams won the title as a club team and were one of two club teams competing for the title. The other club team was Western Washington, who finished 17.
Photo courtesy of uri.edu
PC Hockey 2015
The Providence College Friars won the 2015 NCAA Ice Hockey National Championship, defeating Boston University 4-3 at the TD Garden.
The Championship is the first in the program's history and only the third NCAA National Title in Providence College History.
PC goatender Jon Gillies was named Most Outstanding Player.
- PC Hockey Advances to National Title Game!
- PC Hockey to Hold Championship Celebration on Tuesday
- PC Hockey Picked to Finish 3rd in Hockey East
- PC Hockey Faces Omaha in NCAA Frozen Four Tonight in Boston
- PC Hockey Holds On for 7-5 Win Over Miami (Ohio)
- Gillies Shuts Out Bobcats As PC Hockey Advances to the Elite 8
- PC Hockey Takes on Miami in NCAA Tourney, Will Play in Providence
- PC Hockey’s National Title Defense Begins Tonight
- NEW: PC Hockey Ranked #1 in the Country
- PC Hockey’s Tanev Signs 1-Year Deal With NHL’s Winnipeg Jets
- PC Hockey Ranked 10th in the Country in the USCHO Preseason Poll
- PC Hockey Picked to Finish 5th in Hockey East Preseason Coaches Poll
- PC Hockey to Play Boston College at Frozen Fenway 2017
- PC Hockey’s Parisi Signs 2-Year Deal With Montreal Canadiens
- PC Hockey Gets #4 Overall Seed in NCAA Tourney, Will Play in Worcester
- NEW: PC Hockey Gets Upset by Minnesota-Duluth 2-1 in 2 OT
- PC Hockey’s Foley Helps Team USA Win World Junior Championship Over Canada