NEW: Mayor Elorza, Seattle’s Mayor Murray Make Super Bowl Wager
Friday, January 30, 2015
“Belichick, Brady, Gronk and this entire Patriots team are playing their best football yet,” Mayor Elorza said. “I bet the Patriots will bring another championship home to New England, and am putting some of Providence’s favorite homegrown brands on the line. Go Pats!”
If the Seahawks win, Mayor Elorza will send a collection of items Providence is known for, including Olneyville New York System hot wiener sauce spice mix, sweet bread from El Quetzal Bakery, Trinity Brew House IPA, and music by Deer Tick and the Low Anthem.
If the Patriots win, Mayor Murray will send a gift basket to Providence City Hall with items from Seattle that include Northwest alder-smoked salmon from Pure Food Fish Market, whole bean coffees from the original Starbucks at Pike Place Market and a giant bag of Skittles.
Related Slideshow: Reactions to Mayor Elorza’s Inauguration Speech
Providence residents, community leaders, and elected officials turned out in the face of cold temperatures to hear Providence's newest Mayor, Jorge Elorza, give is inauguration speech at Providene City Hall on Monday, January 5.
"I thought it was great, it showed a lot of optimism. He has a plan. I think he knows the city, I like the fact he's a young guy - you'll need a lot of energy to move the city forward, and I pledge to work with him."
- Jim Vincent, NAACP Providence Branch President
"I thought it was comprehensive. It was thorough -- I iwas expecting a few themes, but he went into a lot of areas. I look forward to working with him."
- Sam Zurier, Providence City Councilman
"I'm excited to work with the Mayor and new council. I love Providence. I'm excited to have a new Mayor focused on arts, culture, recreation, which are all important to me. He's got a wonderful vision, and I look forward to working with him."
- Jo-Ann Ryan, Providence City Councilwoman
"I thought it was excellent speech, I thought it laid out an ambitious agenda. As a Providence resident, I think we need a Mayor who thinks about the big picture. I thought he had good specifics. The Treasurer's office being a financial office, I stand ready to assist the mayor's office and his team with the city's finances. We have a lot of work to do, and I look forward to it."
- Seth Magaziner, Rhode Island General Treasurer
"I'm very excited that the Mayor's taken on the job that was started by the previous administration. I look forward to working with him, he's got new energy, ideas. He's innovative, and looking for ways for the city to stand out and be successful."
- James Diossa, Mayor of Central Falls
"It was refreshing to say the least. I liked that he had the community component, and I just thought people felt included. He talked about some of the things that [former Mayor] Taveras was doing, but not in the beginning. It's a new beginning, it's a new start."
- Kobi Dennis, Founder of Project Night Vision
"It was great. It's an exciting time for the entire state. Having Mayor Elorza at the helm is important, because he's a leader, and leadership matters. I'm excited to work with him."
- Nellie Gorbea, Rhode Island Secretary of State
"I thought it was a powerful, visionary speech. Much of what he's talking about is in line with what the school board is moving towards - neighborhood schools, arts education policies, so having [the Mayor's office] get behind that is great. Redirecting resources from central administration to the schools, we've been moving forward with our school autonomy policy, so much of what I've heard is in line with what we're trying to do."
- Keith Oliveria, Providence School Board President
- NEW: Elorza Announces Transition Team
- 10 Questions Elorza Has to Answer as Mayor
- NEW: Council President-Elect Aponte Learns of Elorza Transition Team from GoLocal
- Will Esserman Return to Head Public Safety Under Elorza?
- Mayor-elect Elorza Announces ‘One Providence’ Listening Forums
- Next Steps for Mayor-Elect Elorza in Providence
- Buddy Cianci Returns to Radio - Will Elorza be His First Guest?
- The Scoop: Smith Blasts Paiva-Weed on False Allegations, Elorza Questions Cianci’s Apology, and More
- NEW: GOP Candidate Harrop Says He Will Vote For Democrat Elorza
- GoLocal’s Kate Nagle Tracks Down Jorge Elorza
- Elorza Beats Cianci in Providence Mayoral Race
- Battle Lines Being Drawn Between Labor and Elorza
- NEW: Mayor-elect Elorza Holds Final “One Providence” Listening Forum
- NEW: Providence Mayor Jorge Elorza’s Inauguration Speech
- Leaders React to Elorza’s Vision for “New Providence”
- Jencunas: Elorza’s Challenges and His Best Chance at Success
- NEW: Elorza Staff Salaries Released - Totals Nearly $900,000
- Jorge Elorza: Ten Issues He Can’t Hide From
- NEW: Mayor-Elect Elorza Announces Appointments to Senior Leadership Team
- Dr. Downtown, David Brussat: Free Advice for Elorza
- NEW: Morales, Kwan and Narducci on Elorza Transition Team
- NEW: Mayor-Elect Elorza Retains Public Safety Commissioner and Chief of Police
- Jorge Elorza: 14 Who Made a Difference in RI in 2014
- Elorza Yet to Submit Any Appointments