slides: Ethics Complaint Filed Against Rep. O’Brien of North Providence
Saturday, June 04, 2016
Sam Bell with the Progressive Democrats filed the complaint on Thursday.
READ COMPLAINT BELOW
About the Complaint
"The complaint is very straightforward," said Bell. "When [O'Brien] was running for office, he failed to file his first two required financial disclosure statements, 2009 and 2011. When they run, candidates are required to file financial disclosure statement for the preceding year. O'Brien simply decided not to. Twice."
O'Brien was defeated in the Democratic primary in 2010 by Gregory Schadone; in 2012 O'Brien beat Independent Kenneth Amoriggi II in the general election. O'Brien, who ran unopposed in 2014, is facing a primary challenge from labor activist Bill Deware.
"Financial disclosure forms are vitally important. Without them, we have no idea where politicians receive their income," said Bell. "Given that the Gallison scandal seems to be related to lawmakers' income, tracking where politicians make their money is especially important."
Ethics Complaint O’Brien - 2016
- Ethics Rules & Oversight Should Apply to General Assembly-But They Don’t!
- Fox Fallout: Corruption, Ethics, and the Future of Politics in RI
- Ethics Leaders Call for PawSox to be Fined for Failing to Register as Lobbyists
- Moore: RI Has Bigger Ethics Issues Than Lally’s Job
- Ethics Complaint Filed Against Cicilline’s Sister
- Moore: Call on Mattiello to Pass Ethics Bill
- Elorza, Aponte Nominate Six to Providence Ethics Commission
- Drones, Ethics Reform, and Welfare Fraud: This Week At The State House
- Raimondo Appoints Marisa Quinn to Rhode Island Ethics Commission
- GOP Chair Bell Calls Mattiello Public Enemy #1 on Ethics
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Sen. Sheehan: Ethics Reform - or a Festering Status Quo
- Common Cause RI Testifies in Support of Restoring Ethics Commission Oversight
- Moore: The Real Ethics Reform Heroes Aren’t Legislative Leadership
- Block Admits to Failing to Disclose Volunteer Position on Ethics Filing
- NEW: RI Ethics Commission Finds Probable Cause That Lally Violated Revolving Door Law
- Grebien Admits Failing to Disclose Business on Ethics Forms After GoLocal Review
- Ethics Reform Legislation Introduced & More: This Week at the State House
- UPDATED: Legislation to Restore Ethics Commission Oversight of General Assembly Introduced
- Pawtucket Mayor Has Stalled on Sending Potential Violations to Ethics
- Pawtucket Looking at Possible Criminal Intent Over Ethics Allegations Released
- Sheehan Blasts Speaker on Ethics Legislation and Mattiello Fires Right Back
- Will This Be the Year an Ethics Amendment Passes the RI General Assembly?
- Providence City Councilman and Attorney Battle Over Ethics Charges
- Ethics Commission Fines Woonsocket Mayor for Hiring Son