NEW: Binder Blasts Fox on Additional Tax Credits
Thursday, March 21, 2013
"Do we really need to be reminded of House Speaker Gordon Fox’s role in 38 Studios disaster so early in the year? It seems so. Following the 38 Studios disaster, Gordon Fox and many others in government, promised an investigation and oversight on projects like this. We are still waiting. In the meantime…," said Binder.
According to a release issued today by Binder, "The Legislature is reportedly considering granting upwards of $40 million in tax credits to rehab the “Superman building.” That’s $40 out of pocket for every man, woman and child in this state."
"And the person who’s lobbying for the project is a 26-year old-guy who worked on Gordon Fox’s political campaign in the last election. Nick Hemond is being paid handsome $10,000 dollars a month by an out-of state landowner and Cornish Associates developers to push the deal through. I wonder who’s going to be the broker for the tax credits, Michael Corso? (Corso is a lobbyist and broker of tax credits - he was tied to the 38 Studios failure). Once again it seems that in Rhode Island, it’s not about what’s best for the taxpayers, it’s about paying money to somebody who “knows a guy.
Yes, having the building empty downtown would be lame. But blame the current tax code, which makes it advantageous to leave property empty, rather than lease it at a lower rent." said Binder.
Fox is scheduled to announce a economic program this afternoon along side General Treasurer Gina Raimondo.
- Insider Lawyer Paid $232,000 as 38 Studios Went Belly Up
- NEW: Chafee Releases Video on 38 Studios Lawsuit
- 38 Studios Debacle: Top Stories in RI in 2012
- Election Day: Binder Speaks Out
- 38 Studios Scandal Could Spell Trouble for Incumbents
- Carcieri Accepts Responsibility for Approving Failed 38 Studios Deal
- PowerPlayer: State Rep. Candidate Mark Binder
- EDC Buried in Legal Fees over 38 Studios
- Speaker Fox Opponent Mark Binder Hits the Airwaves
- Fox Doesn’t Know Corso: Galasso
- NEW: 38 Studios Assets to Be Sold at Two Auctions
- Connected Lawyer’s Million Dollar Movie Projects
- NEW: Binder Rips Fox on 38 Studios; Taveras Endorses Fox
- Connected Lawyer Pledged Tax Credits Before They Were Approved
- NEW: Brien Rips Speaker Fox on 38 Studios